What helped the most for post surgery adjustment?

I'm at almost 3 months out now and hands down hydration was the hardest thing for me. I tried every drink flavoring I could find. Tried a million different drinks. Hot vs cold, etc. It wasn't until @Will2014 suggested I try Simply Lemonade that I finally found the one thing that worked!! I dilute it with water but it has been a god send. I am getting 64+ oz of fluids daily now. I worried the carbs in the drink would be a problem but I dilute it by 50% w water and so far it hasn't stalled my weight loss. It has natural lemon juice in it and for some reason that just works for my body. Once I got and stayed properly hydrated I felt so much better and it helped restore some of my energy. So if hydration is an issue for you post surgery keep looking for what works for you. Good luck!

I'm at almost 3 months out now and hands down hydration was the hardest thing for me. I tried every drink flavoring I could find. Tried a million different drinks. Hot vs cold, etc. It wasn't until @Will2014 suggested I try Simply Lemonade that I finally found the one thing that worked!! I dilute it with water but it has been a god send. I am getting 64+ oz of fluids daily now. I worried the carbs in the drink would be a problem but I dilute it by 50% w water and so far it hasn't stalled my weight loss. It has natural lemon juice in it and for some reason that just works for my body. Once I got and stayed properly hydrated I felt so much better and it helped restore some of my energy. So if hydration is an issue for you post surgery keep looking for what works for you. Good luck!

Hi @Jen-2 ! I've been wondering how you've been. So glad to hear you are doing well. I saw your WL on one of the other threads. Congratulations on your success.

Hi @Jen-2 ! I've been wondering how you've been. So glad to hear you are doing well. I saw your WL on one of the other threads. Congratulations on your success.
Hi Rob! Thanks! I'm jealous I'll miss your west coast gathering! :( How are you doing? Ive been wondering how you've been progressing too and I miss our interaction. Guess I better get on here more often. LOL. I'm doing much better. Down 50 lbs. feeling more like myself. Energy level is better. I'm going to start cardio and weights. I was going to post a 3 month update in a few days.

Hi Rob! Thanks! I'm jealous I'll miss your west coast gathering! :( How are you doing? Ive been wondering how you've been progressing too and I miss our interaction. Guess I better get on here more often. LOL. I'm doing much better. Down 50 lbs. feeling more like myself. Energy level is better. I'm going to start cardio and weights. I was going to post a 3 month update in a few days.

I’m really happy for you, it’s so good to hear you feeling better. Yeah west coast visit looks like it will be a LOT of fun. A few people have already said they’re going to show up at Diana’s on that Sun.

Remember a little bit ago you said before you had some fun kid stuff places if I was going out there? Maybe when you get a moment, you can expound on that some, if you do not mind.

It took me a while, but I have finally become one with my DS. Meaning, I trust it. I no longer have fear that it won’t work and don’t worry as much about WL. The biggest surprise has been my taste buds though. And BTW, this is my advice to you Dave regarding this thread as well, AND…I hope were not hijacking your thread too much…lol.:D I’ve had to learn to be flexible and listen to my body and NOT try to eat the things it doesn’t want, like CHICKEN for example. I moved my protein shake to late afternoon which was sending off a trigger if I took it early not allowing me to eat any more protein. I had to learn flexibility and have variety to choose from. i.e., fish, shrimp, beef, etc because I never know what mood my “Buds” are in…lol. I actually have a high carb day (not more than 50) or two followed by an almost NO carb day or two. I have been keeping my body OFF balance by NOT setting up patterns and, for me, it’s working.

So…my advice to you Dave is, don’t fill your house with too much stuff at first pre-op because there’s a good chance your tastes will keep changing at least for a while.

And YES..Jen,....@Jen-2 I know you're busy, but please post some more when time permits, I miss you too and am sure that a lot of us here do;););)!

Last edited:
I totally agree on the taste buds thing. Each day I have to gauge which proteins my body will accept. Eggs, sausage, hot dogs have been a no go from the start of solid foods. Beef, chicken and ham have been ok usually. Milk is out totally.

I'm halfway to goal but stalls still make me nervous.

I’m really happy for you, it’s so good to hear you feeling better. Yeah west coast visit looks like it will be a LOT of fun. A few people have already said they’re going to show up at Diana’s on that Sun.

Remember a little bit ago you said before you had some fun kid stuff places if I was going out there? Maybe when you get a moment, you can expound on that some, if you do not mind.

It took me a while, but I have finally become one with my DS. Meaning, I trust it. I no longer have fear that it won’t work and don’t worry as much about WL. The biggest surprise has been my taste buds though. And BTW, this is my advice to you Dave regarding this thread as well, AND…I hope were not hijacking your thread too much…lol.:D I’ve had to learn to be flexible and listen to my body and NOT try to eat the things it doesn’t want, like CHICKEN for example. I moved my protein shake to late afternoon which was sending off a trigger if I took it early not allowing me to eat any more protein. I had to learn flexibility and have variety to choose from. i.e., fish, shrimp, beef, etc because I never know what mood my “Buds” are in…lol. I actually have a high carb day (not more than 50) or two followed by an almost NO carb day or two. I have been keeping my body OFF balance by NOT setting up patterns and, for me, it’s working.

So…my advice to you Dave is, don’t fill your house with too much stuff at first pre-op because there’s a good chance your tastes will keep changing at least for a while.

And YES..Jen,....@Jen-2 I know you're busy, but please post some more when time permits, I miss you too and am sure that a lot of us here do;););)!
Rob - I'll post the things my kids loved on our CA trip in a separate thread. :)

Rob, I don't mind the sidetrack especially when friends you've missed reappear!

I appreciate all the advice and believe me, It will be taken seriously. One thing I've learned over the years is to listen to those who have gone before me. Especially now since I'm about to step into this "new normal".

I won't lie, I'm getting nervous about what I'm about to do. There is no way I'm backing out now but not knowing exactly how I will respond is unnerving for me (I've never been a wait and see kind of guy). I know I'll come through it OK just as everyone here has.

The one thing that is guaranteed to cement your understanding of a tiny bite will not happen until after surgery. When you take too big a bite or swallow and it comes back up like it hit a trampoline and bounced, you will not do it again :).

Rob, I don't mind the sidetrack especially when friends you've missed reappear!

I appreciate all the advice and believe me, It will be taken seriously. One thing I've learned over the years is to listen to those who have gone before me. Especially now since I'm about to step into this "new normal".

I won't lie, I'm getting nervous about what I'm about to do. There is no way I'm backing out now but not knowing exactly how I will respond is unnerving for me (I've never been a wait and see kind of guy). I know I'll come through it OK just as everyone here has.

Sometimes you just have to surrender Dave and let it flow. I'm the same way. You know what gives me more peace, serenity, hope and what make this ALL worthwhile? I know for an absolute mathematical fact that I will NEVER have to be subjecting to yoyo dieting, wl and re-gain, EVER again. I’ve lost 67 lbs and a few pants sizes in 11 weeks. In the past, I would always keep my “Fat” clothes for when I re-gained the weight, but….this time is different. I know I will never need them again and have thrown them away as they don't fit. That is a very surreal matter of fact feeling that is joy without words. That is why you see and hear people say all the time about how they LOVE their DS and have no regrets. I’m lovin mine already and its not even been 3 months! You will do great!! And, we’re all right here w/u!!

In the past, I would always keep my “Fat” clothes for when I re-gained the weight, but….this time is different.

HA HA, I have done the exact same thing in the past but this time I too, decided that once it doesn't fit, out it goes!

I really appreciate the support I've gotten here from you and many others on the site. The one thing that tempers my nervousness is the success of others who share their stories here.

Last edited:
In the past, I would always keep my “Fat” clothes for when I re-gained the weight, but….this time is different. I know I will never need them again and have thrown them away as they don't fit.

HA HA, I have done the exact same thing in the past but this time I too, decided that once it doesn't fit, out it goes!
Dh and I kept one pair of pants and one shirt from our pre-op days...why? Cause it is a reminder of how far we have come and on the days when the mirror is lying to us and our brains think we are still fat, it helps.

I did keep t shirts from both of us that had sentimental memories and put those away. Other t shirts ended up in the, "let's keep it so we don't ruin good clothes" pile.

Dh and I kept one pair of pants and one shirt from our pre-op days...why? Cause it is a reminder of how far we have come and on the days when the mirror is lying to us and our brains think we are still fat, it helps.

I did keep t shirts from both of us that had sentimental memories and put those away. Other t shirts ended up in the, "let's keep it so we don't ruin good clothes" pile.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....Ok, I kept ONE pair of pants and a shirt also! Though I must admit...I did NOT keep them for "sentimental memories"...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... I kept them so that I can look at them every once in a while and "Flip them off" with a heartfelt and sincere "Ceremonial Bird" and bask in the glory of my finally succeeding and WINNING this battle after 36 YEARS!!!!

Latest posts

Back