What are your trigger foods for potential bouts of diarrhea or risk of not making it to the toilet?

Will2014

I have had a rough few days! Been off work on a staycation and I guess I've been trying to eat more to gain some weight. Anyhoo, I've had literally 4 separate times when I've run to the bathroom and not made it. FOUR!! I know 1 time was from excessively fatty rib eye steaks I ate (1 and 1/2 steaks!). Was wondering what you guys have experienced? I suspect 1 time was from eating dried apricots....just trying to figure it out. The weird thing was my stools weren't horribly loose....I just couldn't hold back the tide...so to speak. I realizes this is not a pleasant subject and it's certainly embarrassing for me to talk about, but the best people to talk about these things are the very few people on this planet who have had our procedure. It's just us guys! Talk to me please...

:please:

Honestly I dont have any foods that cause that situation . Lots of fat and lots of carbs at the same time can cause diarrhea but not to the point where I can't hold it.

Raw onions are rough on my gut but they were before the DS.

I have only had one incident, very early post-op. I had been grocery shopping and wanted to get everything in the house before going to the bathroom. Bad idea! Like you, it wasn't diarrhea, just soft and would not be stopped. Most everyone knows that I have fought constipation since only a few months post-op so, no more accidents.

What I do get is BLOATED! I mean nine months pregnant, painful, horrible gas and bloat. I get backed up and it will not move for hours, it's absolutely debilitating! When it finally makes its way to clear, I usually have soft stool with the gas. This happened two nights ago. I had made home-made sugar free, low carb ice cream, so delicious. I ate about 1 1/2 cups by myself. I am sure this amount of heavy cream overloaded my system. What a glutton! I paid in spades for my indiscretion. I have done fine in the past with smaller servings. I rarely am able to point and say, yep that is the food that caused my pain. It just seems to happen every so often. This time, I am pretty sure it was just too much fat at one time.

Things had been pretty good since starting the Atkins induction. I just finished week three. I had not had one "blow up" since lowering my carbs to induction level. I thought I had really solved a problem for myself. Maybe I have, just not so much fat in one sitting. I have felt great on these few carbs! I just don't like being denied. :)

Dried fruit, especially apricots, would do it to me. More recently it was fresh, unpeeled nectarine and blueberries. Raw kale. Quinoa, chia seeds, raw spinach to excess, soft serve ice cream, milkshake mix.

I have not had a "couldn't make it to the bathroom" incident, but I have had a few close calls. Most of them involve fruit with the skins on - like peaches, plums, and tomatoes.

it is so funny to me how different we all are with foods that "trigger" us. I have 3 tablespoons full of Chia seeds and a dose of Miralax every single morning in my protein shake. Never a problem.

A few over the past 10 years. Some would have been a problem before DS. Birthday cake with buttercream frosting and ice cream, uh-oh! Fatty hamburger, rare, on the grill (grill makes a difference, not sure why, maybe the grill isn't clean enough). Too much alcohol, especially wine (usually very cautious, but everyone lapses). Tap water when I travel (apologies to the city of Chicago for the memorable event!) Watermelon (learned too late about a health warning for watermelons that had been injected with local water where they were grown to increase the weight). I am cautious with all uncooked fruit or vegetables that might not be meticulously washed. And, food trucks and street hotdogs in NY, where I live, probably should be avoided, but.... It seems my digestive system's ability to kill bacteria that comes with some food isn't what it used to be. Not sure their is any science to that theory.

Salads and melon. But I love melons and tend to eat just under half of one at one time - so of course there is going to be a blow out. It might have given me a blow before surgery...

Spinach is like a big shop broom going through my system.

The things that get me: oats, in anything! and sugar. Sugar is the devil to me and not because of carb content. It goes straight through me and causes me to pass out of top of it all. Those two things are the only ones I know of thus far, but Im a creature of habit. I find what I like and what doesn't kill me and I stick to that lol

Latest posts

Back