Surgery October 22

I think I'm an hour or 2 from them giving me a sleeping pill so I'm real hopeful the headaches will be over with when I wake up.

I just went through a bad gas attack. It seems my stomach doesn't like pure water. I felt like an idiot almost in tears because of gas lol.

The gas was horrible for me after surgery. They blow up your entire body it seems. My shoulders ached like someone was stabbing me. Feel better soon!

You'll like it here. All the people have been professional yet extremely nice.

I hope so as I'll be on my own. I'm going to email them now and ask to be the first surgery of the day. If I only get 4 days to recover, I don't want to lose most of one just waiting to get in the OR. I'm old and need every hour of recovery I can get.

Hope you're doing better today.

I hope so as I'll be on my own. I'm going to email them now and ask to be the first surgery of the day. If I only get 4 days to recover, I don't want to lose most of one just waiting to get in the OR. I'm old and need every hour of recovery I can get.

Good idea! I was the first one in and since mine was a revision, it took forever to get me out of surgery (over 5 hours). Yours will be shorter - they had to clean up adhesions and remove the crap band - but still, it would be a really good idea to ask to go first.

Yeah the nurses keep telling me to walk. I finally got my headache under control so want to keep my activity level low. The headache is still at that stage where it'll come roaring back if I'm not careful.

I can certainly understand not wanting to provoke another headache!
The gas can really be uncomfortable. Who am I kidding? It can really HURT! did you bring any Gas-x with you? If you did, you might ask them about taking some because that will help a bit. The best remedy, however, is walking so you'll want to do as much as you can once you're sure you won't bring on another headache.

Hope you're feeling better!

I don't blame you either. I knew there was no way I'd be the "first" surgery and I fully understand that. I wish I could have been, all things considering. I don't know if your surgery date is set but insist on being the first surgery, even if you have to change days. It was midnight by the time I got out if recovery. The person before me just had a lot of scaring, adhesions, w/e else revisions have. He couldn't walk without assistance, yeah, just was in terrible shape. I still haven't seen him come out of his room.

My headache's coming back...and will continue to until I get real food in me (LOL) or I can take my personal advil/aspirin/caffeine/tylenol cocktail. They say no dice so I'll just have to live with it.

I can certainly understand not wanting to provoke another headache!
The gas can really be uncomfortable. Who am I kidding? It can really HURT! did you bring any Gas-x with you? If you did, you might ask them about taking some because that will help a bit. The best remedy, however, is walking so you'll want to do as much as you can once you're sure you won't bring on another headache.

Hope you're feeling better!

I did buy some! And then promptly misplaced it while I packed because its not in my bags. Did it work good for your gas (if you took it)?

Good idea! I was the first one in and since mine was a revision, it took forever to get me out of surgery (over 5 hours). Yours will be shorter - they had to clean up adhesions and remove the crap band - but still, it would be a really good idea to ask to go first.

Did you ask for pain meds once they took the line IV out? When the needle was still in your hand I mean...I'm not familiar with medical terminology.

I think gas-x only works for intestinal gas, not the gas they pump under your skin to lift the abdomen off their "playing field" so they can maneuver the tools. This is the gas that migrates up to the highest point (behind shoulder blades or under diaphragm). I don't think anything but time helps that.

Oh no, I'm so sorry the headache has returned! I know how horrid headaches can be!

I did bring my gas-x and took it while I was there and yes, it helped a whole lot. I had absolutely no shoulder pain.. but then I also was up walking a whole lot too. It's helped a lot since I've returned home too.

I hope the doggone headache goes away soon.

I think gas-x only works for intestinal gas, not the gas they pump under your skin to lift the abdomen off their "playing field" so they can maneuver the tools. This is the gas that migrates up to the highest point (behind shoulder blades or under diaphragm). I don't think anything but time helps that.

You might be right - that would be interesting to research. I had horrible gas pains in my shoulder following my lap band surgery and zero this time so I attributed it to the Gas-X I brought with me. It could very well have been some other factor.

Congratulations on an uncomplicated procedure. I hope your headache resolves quickly and you are now comfortable. Please stay hydrated! :)

Did you use gas-x strips or pills?

Thanks for the well wishes hilary and everyone else. Sometimes I do forget to sip fluids down. I think that might be one of the harder things to get used to.

Thanks for the well wishes hilary and everyone else. Sometimes I do forget to sip fluids down. I think that might be one of the harder things to get used to.
I used the chewable pills.

Other things to help besides walking:
Sitting on the toilet, rocking back and forth. This has pluses in that if you shart, you are in the right place.
Having someone rub your back from the waist to the shoulders.

I use the Gas-X chewables. I found them fairly cheap on Amazon.

Latest posts

Back