Reglan and I don't get along!

Terri

I am 2 1/2 months out and have been having issues with nausea. We have switched PPI's. I have tried zofran and phenergan. The doctor decided that even though surgeon doesn't like to prescribe it outside of the hospital, that she would have me try reglan. I had it in the hospital right after surgery and it worked well and I tolerated well too.

Now I know @DianaCox has spoken of her reaction to reglan and I told my husband to watch me for anything out of the norm. Doctor prescribed to take before meals and at bedtime. I started Friday afternoon all was well Saturday was good, nausea issues were much better and then Sunday morning came. I thought I had a fever when I woke up, my face felt so hot. I still had a thermometer on my nightstand from when I was monitoring my temperature after surgery. I took my temp and used the flashlight on my phone to read the themometer, 97.8 hmm normal. By this time my husband was back in the bedroom from the bathroom and turns on the light. I am getting up and he says "What is wrong with your face!!" I woke up with my face severely swollen and redder than the worse sunburn I have ever seen. I couldn't even hardly open my eyes. I had a rare, severe allergic reaction to the reglan. YAY ME! It is nowhere near as bad as it was but is still swollen some today and burning, benedryl hasn't helped a lot. So I now I have diaper rash cream spread all over my face. It's ok go ahead laugh my whole family has.

So I briefly spoke with the nurse today and am supposed to call her back tomorrow. Is there anything else anyone else has taken for nausea or am about at the end of the rope, LOL?

I'm so sorry for the awful reaction. I took Reglan for nausea during pregnancy, it only constipated me, didn't make me swell up! Yikes!

Have you tried Ondansetron (generic for Zofran) or Promethazine (generic for Phenergan). I have taken them both at different times. They both helped me but can make you sleepy. Hope you find something that helps. I didn't have the best reaction either to Reglan. Made my anxiety go off the charts.
Hope you find some relieve soon!
I apparently can't read so just forget the above! I hope someone comes along with some good suggestions. Peppermint tea was something else that helped me.

Last edited:
@Terri , I know you've read my post about salt being an anti-emetic. We use it on kids and people with over active gag reflexes in the dental office. Don't know if it will work in your case, but it's worth a try. When you feel particularly erpy, a pinch of salt on the back of the tongue will temporarily deactivate the gag reflex. Don't know how it works, and it did not work on my son recently when he had the flu. But it's worth a try. Bouillion (sp) might also work.

Feel better, babe.

@Terri, hope you feel better soon!

I sniff alcohol wipes when I feel nauseous - something I learned from an anesthesiologist during childbirth. It works for a few minutes.

I am 2 1/2 months out and have been having issues with nausea. We have switched PPI's. I have tried zofran and phenergan. The doctor decided that even though surgeon doesn't like to prescribe it outside of the hospital, that she would have me try reglan. I had it in the hospital right after surgery and it worked well and I tolerated well too.

Now I know @DianaCox has spoken of her reaction to reglan and I told my husband to watch me for anything out of the norm. Doctor prescribed to take before meals and at bedtime. I started Friday afternoon all was well Saturday was good, nausea issues were much better and then Sunday morning came. I thought I had a fever when I woke up, my face felt so hot. I still had a thermometer on my nightstand from when I was monitoring my temperature after surgery. I took my temp and used the flashlight on my phone to read the themometer, 97.8 hmm normal. By this time my husband was back in the bedroom from the bathroom and turns on the light. I am getting up and he says "What is wrong with your face!!" I woke up with my face severely swollen and redder than the worse sunburn I have ever seen. I couldn't even hardly open my eyes. I had a rare, severe allergic reaction to the reglan. YAY ME! It is nowhere near as bad as it was but is still swollen some today and burning, benedryl hasn't helped a lot. So I now I have diaper rash cream spread all over my face. It's ok go ahead laugh my whole family has.

So I briefly spoke with the nurse today and am supposed to call her back tomorrow. Is there anything else anyone else has taken for nausea or am about at the end of the rope, LOL?
I use Maxolon (metoclopramide) for nausea. That usually works pretty well for me.

Latest posts

Back