Past labs, figuring out how I stand pre-op

Susan in Tennessee

I have been digging through my files gathering my past lab reports together. My NP started testing D in 2012. I do have calcium serum and protein serum numbers earlier than that. I do not see PTH on any of the lab sheets but from what I gather here it's not regularly tested.

Vitamin D : 2012 2013 2014 5-2015 11-2015
35 29 34.4 48.5 40.4 All from labcorp with normal range of 30-100.
desired range
Calcium serum 2003 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2013 2014 2015 2015 2015 (8.7-10.2)
10.5 9.3 9.8 9.1 9.8 9.5 9.2 9.0 9.2 9.9 9.2
desired range
Protein serum 2003 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2013 2014 2015 20105 2015 (6-8.5)
7.6 7.0 7.1 6.8 7.5 6.8 7.1 6.9 7.8 7.1 6.8

One time at my pleading, she ran what she considered a full thyroid panel in 2013 and it also had B12 which is not on any other lab. At that time, Dec. 2013 my B12 was 545 (desired 211-946). She told me at that time that was too low and to supplement B12. I did some, but she never retested so I have no idea. I slacked off on them so I've started back on them this week.

I've been taking dry D3 every day since November, but probably not enough. The pills I have are only 2,000 IU's each and I take 2 or 3 each day, along with K2-mk7. I've taken magnesium the last few years at my chiropractors suggestion but I don't see it on any of my labs so who knows about it? Helps me sleep deeper and keeps me regular.

I had always thought my calcium numbers were good but after the discussions I have seen here I started to question so I bought some NatureMade Calcium Petites with 200 mg each and 400 IU of D. I recently found an old bottle of the big chalky calcium pills in the back of the cabinet so I also throw down some of them each day and also found a couple bottles of muti-vitamins collecting dust so have started taking them too.

I have all the other usual results too I can share but thought I'd start with these and see if you needed the others.

Oh, also wanted to tell you that NP wanted me to have a DEXA scan back in the fall when she saw my D was still low so I did, my first one ever. I haven't been back to her office since I had it as I'm not due back until May but they did call me and tell me it looked good. I called the office today and quizzed a nurse about it. She said my result was about middle of the normal range, that's all I could get out of her. I will ask for a copy when I am in town and can stop by the office. Is the DEXA scan used to diagnose osteoporosis or just to show if one might have osteo and should be tested further?

I've been lowcarbing on and off (mostly on) since 2003 so I eat quite a bit of meat, cheese, dairy (except milk) so really never gave calcium much of a thought.

Thanks, guys, for taking a look at this and seeing how badly I'm in the hole before I even start!

oh boy, I worked so hard typing it out with the year right above the lab result for the D, calcium and protein and now after posting it looks different! Things got scooted over and more scrunched up! I'm so sorry. If you can't decipher it I will redo. I was trying so hard to make it easy to look at, because I know you have to do this so much...sheesh..

D needs to be as close to 100 as possible. Get the D3 50,000 from Amazon. Until you get a surgery date, take one every other day. Once you are within a month of surgery, take it every day.
B12 needs real help. You want it as high normal to even above normal.
Do you have your ferritin, iron sat%, and PTH...

Share all of them, go with just the last number you have, range and date of test.

Ordering the 50,000 D3 right now. Any suggestions on dosing of B12 for the time being? When you say "share all of them" are you referring to ferritin, iron sat% and PTH only or do you mean everything on the lab report such as BUN, creatinine, sodium, potassium, chloride, etc. etc.? I guess she has never checked my ferritin, iron sat% or PTH unless they are listed as something very different on the lab results. That's why I was thinking it would be worthwhile to have a full set of the suggested labs run as soon as I can get it done.

D needs to be as close to 100 as possible. Get the D3 50,000 from Amazon. Until you get a surgery date, take one every other day. Once you are within a month of surgery, take it every day.
B12 needs real help. You want it as high normal to even above normal.
Do you have your ferritin, iron sat%, and PTH...

Share all of them, go with just the last number you have, range and date of test.

What are the reasons why D should be as close to 100 as possible?

What are the reasons why D should be as close to 100 as possible?
Because they can drop SO fast...and keeping it close to 100 keeps your PTH low. Which is what you want. For a DS'er 50 is pushing bottom...80 is normal and 90-100 is excellent. BUT look at your PTH as well. IF 80 keeps your PTH very low normal then 80 is fine.

Southern Lady, these are my last labs from Nov. of 2015. desired range will be in ( ).

Glucose 104 (65-99)
BUN 22 (6-24)
Creatinine, serum 0.86 (.57-1.0)
eGFR 75. (>59)
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 26 (9-23)
Sodium, serum 142. (134-144)
Potassium, serum 4.6 (3.5-5.2)
Chloride, serum 99 (97-108)
Carbon dioxide 29 (18-29)
Calcium, serum 9.2 (8.7-10.2)
Protein,total, serum 6.8 (6.0-8.5)
Albumin, serum 4.2 (3.5-55)
Globulin, total 2.6 (1.5-4.5)
A/G ratio 1.6. (1.1-2.5)
Bilirubin, total 0.4 (0.0-1.2)
Alkaline phosphat apse, S 66 (39-117)
AST 13 (0-40)
ALT 14 (0-32)
Cholesterol 273. (100-199)
Triglycerides 80 (0-149)
HDL chol. 86 (>39)
VLDL Chol. Calc 16 (5-40)
LDL chol calc 171 (0-99)
ldl/Hdl ratio 2.0 (0-3.2)
Vitamin D, 25-hydroxy. 40.4 (30-100).

As Liz mentioned, start dry D3 everyother day. Other than that I don't see anything troubling. That being said I don't see any iron panel numbers or hematocrit and hemoglobin. Those are very important values that you will want in a good range. I battle non iron deficient anemia and it is hard for me to keep my H and H anywhere near range. I am typically in the 10-11.and 30 - 33% range. If you can get all those key values in a healthy range before the trauma o surgery you will heal better.

Last edited:
I would also add a bit more protein right now...you are on the low side of 7 but not terribly low. And adding protein will help you heal.

I notice your total cholesterol is high...that one will be fun to watch afterwards. I had stopped my lipitor about 3 months pre-op to get an accurate, non-medicated reading so I could watch the change. Mine was only about 230 during my last set of pre-op labs...which, of course they didn't worry about as I was having surgery in less than a week after they were done. And I had been on a very heavy dose of lipitor since 1997 and was able to keep it where it NATURALLY sits now...about 160-175. :)

My Cholesterol was about 170 on a statin before my surgery. Now it is right at 100.

BTW a standard CBC would have your Hematocrit and Hemoglobin numbers.

I would also add a bit more protein right now...you are on the low side of 7 but not terribly low. And adding protein will help you heal.

I notice your total cholesterol is high...that one will be fun to watch afterwards. I had stopped my lipitor about 3 months pre-op to get an accurate, non-medicated reading so I could watch the change. Mine was only about 230 during my last set of pre-op labs...which, of course they didn't worry about as I was having surgery in less than a week after they were done. And I had been on a very heavy dose of lipitor since 1997 and was able to keep it where it NATURALLY sits now...about 160-175. :)
I will up protein, I recently bought some powders (for recipes) but will use as supplement. I copied the entire lab report, all there was. Yes, cholesterol had been high a long time. Statins have been suggested but I refuse. I know too many people personally who have had horrible repercussions from them. My triglycerides are low so that's good. One friend has permanent nerve damage to his arms from the statins. Doctors even admitted it to him. IMHO the whole cholesterol issue is yet something else many doctors have at least partially wrong, especially in women.

If you are pre-op, you can also absorb the cheaper vitamin d that is in oil. If you have any of that around, use it up and save the dry stuff as it's more expensive. There is high dose vitamin D (50k) available in prescription but it's in oil, meaning it could be covered by insurance because it RX (every little bit helps) and would work for you till surgery.

I don't really pay attention to my calcium level, but instead watch PTH, and don't let that get too high, since that can mean I'm taking calcium out of my bones to keep my calcium level stable.

Latest posts

Back