Pancreatitis After Surgery

aaa

Not sure exactly where to post this. The DS is somewhat involved, so I'm trying it here. Mods., feel free to move it...

I've recovered enough from my 2d wrist surgery on 10/17 that I can type a bit (mostly with my left hand, though).

Surgery, was quick and went well. Afterwards, not so much. I took 500mg. Tylenol with Codeine. OMgosh, the pain. PANCREATITIS. I took less and still it happened; 4-5 separate times! If you've ever had it; it's the same pain as stones (I've had them so I know). The worst pain I've ever had (and I've had a lot of orthopedic surgeries). Finally, I was able to tolerate separate and small doses of 325mg. without the pancreatitis.

Here's the oddest thing. I had my DS in 2005. My gb was removed in 2008. I had gallstones in 2009 and nothing since. I've had 2 surgeries since 2009, took the 500mg. Tylenol wih Codeine and never had a problem. Just this time. Unfortunately, I've since learned that (while it's rare) WLS patients with no gb can have sphincter of oddi issues with some pain relievers causing pancreatitis.

I know it's been discussed in these forums before. I just wanted to give another heads up to anyone unlucky enough to experience what I did. Perhaps this will help explain what may be going on.

Last edited:
You've had a rough go of it! I'm sorry this happened but glad you are doing better and have somewhat figured out causes etc. Thanks for passing on the information to everyone else.

Terrifying! I hope you feel better and stay better. Can they give you a different pain med?

Yikes. I have had my GB removed (10 years before DS) because I had pancreatitis from gallstones. Understand your pain! After the latest bone surgery, I relied on ice packs or heating pads, and Tylenol without codeine after the first day, because codeine makes me so loopy. The pain from orthopedic surgery was much less than the pain from pancreatitis! I can't imagine having it more than once. Aleve worked for me, but I stopped it (more or less) when they said it interferes with bone healing. So sorry for what you are going through! Did they give you a brace to prevent carpal tunnel? Take care, I got that after breaking my wrist and typing too much. Guess there is something about bariatric bones, if we are both having so many issues after 10 years.

Yikes. I have had my GB removed (10 years before DS) because I had pancreatitis from gallstones. Understand your pain! After the latest bone surgery, I relied on ice packs or heating pads, and Tylenol without codeine after the first day, because codeine makes me so loopy. The pain from orthopedic surgery was much less than the pain from pancreatitis! I can't imagine having it more than once. Aleve worked for me, but I stopped it (more or less) when they said it interferes with bone healing. So sorry for what you are going through! Did they give you a brace to prevent carpal tunnel? Take care, I got that after breaking my wrist and typing too much. Guess there is something about bariatric bones, if we are both having so many issues after 10 years.
Actually, the orthoped. surgeries have been mostly ligament and/or tendon issues as the wrist surgeries have been. They often shave down the bones, etc., while they're in there but that's not the main culprit. Thankfully, they have nothing to do with carpel tunnel issues, either. I do have a cast, brace, OT. The usual.o_O As a matter of fact, all but the wrist was done pre-DS.

I just don't have the greatest ligaments and tendons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back