Not Good Anniversary

Spiky Bugger

A year ago today, 10/11/20, it was a Sunday, my sister and BIL stopped by. He returned a book he had borrowed. I’m staring at the chair where he was sitting.

The next night, late Monday, 10/12/20, paramedics were called and he made yet another of his frequent ambulance trips to the hospital. The FD units responding had been there many times before and knew his son, who was a recent a coworker but had been promoted to Captain at another station. They said that my BIL looked to be in fairly decent shape. He was able to walk down the hallway and out to the ambulance unassisted. His O2 Sat was 90%.

But upon arrival at the hospital, it was 70%. And just kept dropping.

It was technically Tuesday, 10/13/20, when they called time of death.

My baby sister has been a widow for almost a year. She’s doing okay, but the next few days will be tough on all of us…especially her.

My heart goes out to your sister and your family. This past year has been so tough. The pandemic has even changed the rituals of death. May memories of your brother in law comfort you and your family.

what a sad time.

I remember my Mom said the second year after my Dad's death was actually harder for her. She said she was numb up until then and that was about when other people seemed to feel she should be getting over it.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad your sister still has you.
:5grouphug:

I'm sorry. The first year seems to go by so quickly as we mark the First occasions that come and go. The First Christmas he wasn't there, and others. The grief timeline is not linear. So many peaks and valleys that we hope will get easier to traverse, but never do we want them to go away. May your peaks bring you smiles as you remember him.

I'm sorry. The first year seems to go by so quickly as we mark the First occasions that come and go. The First Christmas he wasn't there, and others. The grief timeline is not linear. So many peaks and valleys that we hope will get easier to traverse, but never do we want them to go away. May your peaks bring you smiles as you remember him.
I appreciate that perspective.

Potato peelers make me think of him and smile.

We were packing up my mom’s stuff to move her out of someplace. He came out of the kitchen with his hands FULL of potato peelers and asked the rest of us, “Where’s the other one?”

”The other WHAT?” we all responded.

“The other potato peeler. I found only eleven, so I figured they must come in dozens and one is missing, right?”

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Sounds like he had a wonderful sense of humor. I hope you will be able to spend time with your sister over these harder days exchanging wonderful memories like the one you've relayed about the potato peeler. Hugs to you.

Spiky Bugger The potato peeler story made my eyes well up with tears. Happy ones. It's exactly those stories that we need to bring back the good times. My husband will make banana bread with the almost gone bananas. He can never find the loaf pan and has bought several. I hope whoever cleans out our house will wonder just how many loaf pans we needed.

Latest posts

Back