Time to consider “Senior Housing.” (Maybe.)

Spiky Bugger

NOT Assisted Living, and NOT a place where the only option is their dining room. But I’m looking at a few.

We COULD rent this place out and move to an apartment-type facility. (The income would equal what it would cost US to rent, but we have had TERRIBLE luck as landlords. So probably not.) Or, if I can afford to Feng Shui this house and sell it, that might work.

Feng Shui because we live in an area that is OVERWHELMINGLY Asian-Americans/Asian Immigrants, mostly Chinese. My sister is in the same town, but in a somewhat better school district. (That determines prices here.) Her next door neighbors’ house just sold in 28 days, for $192,000 over list price. Their house is 15 years “newer,” 300 sq ft bigger, their lot is 1500 sq ft smaller, no pool. We have a pool…generally not a plus with Feng Shui-inclined immigrants, many of whom fill the pool with DIRT!

Why? Being THIS injured has been a real wake-up call. It’s been three weeks and I’m STILL a giant bruise. And I still have an ugly NURPLE! I STILL cannot manage a bra…or many shirts. He is doing his best to help me, and it’s MOSTLY okay, but I’m 76. One day, I’ll be 78, then maybe even 80. And he ain’t getting any younger or any better at complicated stuff.

So when IS the right time? Someone else cuts the lawn, another person cleans the pool, the only time the house REALLY gets clean is when the cleaning ladies come in. Some light bulbs are not at a convenient location for either of us to reach; he never has washed the car. He is NOT good at any fix-it stuff, so we pay for that, too.

What I’m convinced of is that waiting until one of us is dead or moving into ”The Home for the Permanently Bewildered,” and the other has to do it alone, while VERY STRESSED, is not the optimal time.

Only you and Mr. Sue can really make that call but if you wait too long, it’s gonna be made for you. Is this year right, next year?
Okay, we’ve been watching way too much HGTV and there is a couple in LA that buys houses to flip. Maybe that’s how to go. Let someone like them deal with fixing it with Feng Shui.

What I’m convinced of is that waiting until one of us is dead or moving into ”The Home for the Permanently Bewildered,” and the other has to do it alone, while VERY STRESSED, is not the optimal time.

that's the thing, whatever the two of you decide making the decision and then the move itself is best done when not in crisis.

which is the way it happens with most of the people I meet (not sure what it means for others that I never meet).

:5grouphug:

also, a lot of people are unable to make the decision because they are overwhelmed by their STUFF which is, long term/big picture, the least important thing in the equation.

it's not about things, it's about your experiences and needs, but it's hard to tease out the strands of need/want/etc.

anyway, I'm thinking about you guys!

Step by step, my friend. First, heal from the immediate injuries. Second, shop around for an inticing place - visit as many options as you can to find out what appeals most to you and would make you excited. My mom is looking to move to a senior living place a year from now and has discovered that an onsite pool is a must have. That was something she didn't think about at all when we rented her current place, but she now loves water exercise classes and realizes how much they help her physically. Once you find the right destination, you can take the next steps around how to make it happen.

that's the thing, whatever the two of you decide making the decision and then the move itself is best done when not in crisis.

which is the way it happens with most of the people I meet (not sure what it means for others that I never meet).

also, a lot of people are unable to make the decision because they are overwhelmed by their STUFF which is, long term/big picture, the least important thing in the equation.

it's not about things, it's about your experiences and needs, but it's hard to tease out the strands of need/want/etc.

anyway, I'm thinking about you guys!

As usual, J…nail on head!

I need to go through, and get rid of SO MUCH stuff. But 3+ weeks after my fall, I’m VERY sore or VERY loaded…sometimes both…and very bruised. (I see the ortho tomorrow afternoon.)

But the damned STUFF. The bedroom furniture my maternal grandparents bought in about 1928. And MiniSue and her partner seem emotionally connected to THIS house. I finally yelled at them yesterday that if I wanted them to HAVE this house, I’d GIVE it to them. But I won’t even SELL it to them.

Now we are all considering buying a duplex.

A lot of people would be thrilled to own a house, any house, in your area. I have a (very) rough idea of where you are, and it's a very desirable area. And lots of houses come with problems, at least they would have a heads up on what to expect.

We are about to Docusign the agreement and place a deposit on a HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE apartment, aka, “We’re moving!”

UNTIL he needs “substantial assistance” with at least two ADLs, it will cost us damned near EVERY PENNY of income! But:
•once he needs that help, insurance kicks in and (after the deductible period) reimburses us about half of what we’ll be paying; and,
•given that he has cataract surgery coming and cannot administer eye drops or take a shower without someone nearby (to keep eye dry), he’ll need substantial assistance quite soon. (It will be short-term, but I suspect his needs for assistance will move from physical challenges to cognitive issues very soon.)

It’s a lovely facility, but no pool, hilary1617 . I guess if we get desperate, we can come visit MiniSue who has agreed to TEMPORARILY residing here. It will save her a bunch of money, be a shorter drive into L.A., and allow the 13-year-old to have a legit address in this school district.

Last edited:
he’ll need substantial assistance quite soon. (It will be short-term, but I suspect his needs for assistance will move from physical challenges to cognitive issues very soon.)

MiniSue who has agreed to TEMPORARILY residing here. It will save her a bunch of money, be a shorter drive into L.A., and allow the 13-year-old to have a legit address in this school district

wow, that's good.

I know it's a huge change for you, but I'm glad you aren't waiting longer even if it is horribly expensive.

Hope to hear you really like it.

Glad you found a nice place! Hope you will make wonderful new friends there. Sorry for all the stress!

Glad you found a nice place! Hope you will make wonderful new friends there. Sorry for all the stress!

But MiniSue’s stress! That poor child!

She just dove in and became the self-appointed LOADMASTER of this operation. I appreciate the help, but I’d appreciate a bit LESS help even more…lol.

Her boyfriend filled me in this afternoon. Apparently, having your parents move to “a facility,”—even though it’s INDEPENDENT living…kinda like living in a hotel…not receiving help like “assisted living,”—CAN BE a bit of a shock. It puts up you in contact with their mortality…and YOURS!

I tried to tell her I just wanted to be spoiled. This place is just a one-bedroom apartment, in a 4-story building, with activity areas and things to do all the time. But the reason WE are going is that all meals are included and they “deep clean” the place, change sheets, wash sheets and towels every week.

Who knows?!?! We might make new friends. But MrSue asked if there was an extra charge to be left completely alone! He’s not “disconnected” enough to stop being a smart ass.

Latest posts

Back