Just for fun…

@Spiky Bugger I love you, but sometimes I'm glad we aren't related. There seems to be a gene for bizarre disasters in your family's tree.
Well I love you back!

You know what’s weird? (Besides the newsworthy weird stuff.) Back in high school, I decided I didn’t
LIKE science. To me, once things got figured out…like molecules…they kept poking around and got to atoms. I figured they’d never stop, so learning any of this was a waste of time because I’d just have to learn more.

But these days, my life is all about medical stuff…you know…SCIENCE stuff. I wish we could just get healthy diagramming sentences and parsing nouns. THAT doesn’t keep changing!

You like grammar the way I like math. Geography changes. History, or at least our knowledge and/or interpretation of history, changes. Math doesn't change. Once you learn it, that's it.

I like math that way, too. (And I married a man who was, at the time, innumerate.). But I never got very far up the math food chain.

At one point though, I was given a general math class of 8th graders who were, I later discovered, expected to fail at most everything. I REALLY worked that class. End of year they were tested for HS math placement. Only six or seven qualified for Algebra I and maybe 15 qualified for Pre-Algebra. A few were still going into general math.

I went crying to the Dept Chair saying that I had ruined their lives because only six qualified for Algebra.
Chair: You mean six qualified for PRE-Algebra?
Me: No. Six in regular Algebra and 15 in Pre-Algebra.
Chair: From YOUR math class?
Me: Yes…I’m SO sorry…
Chair: For what? I’ve never had ONE general math kid qualify for Algebra I. How did you do that?
Me: I guess I didn’t know they weren’t expected to qualify for Algebra…so I just beat it into them?

Latest posts

Back