Your emergency has been interrupted by an emergency (non-DS related)

Spiky Bugger

It’s a good thing that we are not Christmas-Central for our family!

I needed a crown on a tooth. Dentist started the prep, but wanted the endodontist to take a peek, just in case that little spot on the x-ray indicated that a root canal might be needed. It was needed. So with the tooth prepped for a crown, we did a root canal. Nothing is supposed to hurt after a root canal, but something hurt. Apparently, we injured a nerve...no permanent damage, but it still hurt. I was sent home with a temp crown and the appointment for delivery of said crown was postponed to give the injured area time to heal.

But then I had to have just a small scoop of Denali Moose Track Ice Cream! With mini-peanut butter cups. I didn't know that a frozen mini-peanut butter cup worked like a rock. Not only did I remove the temp crown, I actually broke off more of what was left of the tooth. Back to the dentist. Now I need to have a post inserted into what’s left of that tooth and the crown—not the one they already had made, but a newer crown—placed on the existing tooth+post. Sheanie My dental insurance HAD BEEN dickin’ around with paying for the crown. But they finally noticed that I filed a complaint with the state insurance commission, and now they want to pay right away. Too bad they have to add on the root canal money! Lol

Since we weren’t going to be going anywhere, it seemed like a good time for the “Earthquake Bolt and Brace” to happen. We don’t live in a zip code where the state helps pay, but MrSue really wanted us to do the EBB stuff...$4k. The EBB guys went under the house and came out with photos of where the NEW bathroom plumbing, done a year ago, was leaking under the house. AND, just to be fair, the 70+-year-OLD kitchen plumbing is REALLY leaking, into wall, under house, starting mold issues (we don’t know how bad) AND since that wall is part of the original (plaster) construction and different dimensions* than standard kitchen stuff, we must choose between pouring $$$ into repairing something that is…well…older than I am or dumping it and replacing it with modern stuff. (MrSue may need to make this decision later with a wife instead of a kitchen.). We SHOULD install a dishwasher. And the kitchen is forever away from the water heater and we waste so much water waiting for hot water that we really should install a point-of-use tankless water heater under the kitchen sink. Old wives kitchens may be expensive to maintain, but replacement wives kitchens can be even more costly. We HAD planned a kitchen remodel for “aging in place.**“ Some day. But now I have to decide, right now, what needs to go where. And pay for it. Now.

These things were not on my shopping list.

*Your kitchen counters are probably 24” deep. Mine are 22” on the sink-side of the kitchen, 24” on the opposite side. That means most replacement sinks, countertops and dishwashers will not fit.

**There’s some neat stuff out there, like ovens and microwaves placed at counter height and hinged on the side so that FAR less bending and reaching is required. And we used to have a Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawer dishwasher. That was cool and we only need a top drawer.

https://www.goedekers.com/Fisher-Pa...oBU1GNx9N66pYY1nAcFYqCVAzP52d2lIaAlr3EALw_wcB

i have one in the rig....while I enjoy having a dishwasher, I hate this one.

yes. I’ve read some lousy reviews. We had no trouble with the one we had, BUT Haier has taken over and there are newer models. I’m not sure what we had or which you have. But that’s the height I need. Does anyone else make them now?

My go to for releasing stress is, "WTF? It's only money and there's more where that came from." It works for about a nanosecond. Happy Establishing Your Priorities, your replacement for Merry Christmas. Let's hope this HEYP "holiday" is a one time "celebration".

My go to for releasing stress is, "WTF? It's only money and there's more where that came from." It works for about a nanosecond. Happy Establishing Your Priorities, your replacement for Merry Christmas. Let's hope this HEYP "holiday" is a one time "celebration".
Thanks...and the expensive part of all of this...the plumbing...was observed on Friday the Thirteenth.

This…. "WTF? It's only money and there's more where that came from.“ tickles me.

My father, John, was a cheap bastard. He tried to stop paying my child support when I graduated from high school…at age 16 and 5 months. I wanted to go to college, so he offered to LOAN me $10 to buy books. Yes, $10 bought more then, but he was a MAJOR executive for a car company (one that’s still in business)...so free car, AND during this time, and a decade or so after that, he lived at his parents’ house, no rent and company paid-for travel all over the planet.

Anyway, he must have been doing guilt about his ”generosity,“—or for whatever reason—he kept up payments on his GI life insurance. Not a huge policy, about $40k. On the Tuesday after he died, his widow told my sister that we needed to “come to the house for some papers of your dad’s.” (Neither of us had been there for 30+ years.) I told my sister that EITHER she needed us to sign away our rights to something OR he had done what he told me to do and kept his GI life insurance. I called the VA; we ran into town and got certified copies of his death certificate, immediately faxed them to the VA and the $ was in our banks by Thursday. We still haven’t ”come to the house.”

Now, $20k is $20k. Better than nothing. OTOH, it was not much more than what (the missing) birthday cards for his daughters and their children, over the previous forty years might have cost! So my sister and I laugh about his endless generosity and every time we make a major purchase, we say, “We’ll pay for it out of John’s money.”

So far, I guess I’ve spent at least $85k-90k of my $20k and my sister has spent at least $50k of her $20k...because, "WTF? It's only money and there's more where that came from."

LOLs at your insurance delaying on your coverage. You couldnt have PLANNED a better FU to them! I am sad that your RCT didnt provide immediate relief. My RCT took a year to calm down. I was advised to go back for further treatment, but opted to wait for severe pain, as I am a huge dental phobic. (I need valium for numbing procedures)

Your house woes give me the idea that you live in an older home. I envy you, as I LOVE old homes. But the upkeep is notoriously expensive. Which is why we chose to sell our 160 yo farmhouse. But our new(er) home has come with 50k of hidden problems.

Heres to a better 2020, dental and house wise.

It’s a good thing that we are not Christmas-Central for our family!

I needed a crown on a tooth. Dentist started the prep, but wanted the endodontist to take a peek, just in case that little spot on the x-ray indicated that a root canal might be needed. It was needed. So with the tooth prepped for a crown, we did a root canal. Nothing is supposed to hurt after a root canal, but something hurt. Apparently, we injured a nerve...no permanent damage, but it still hurt. I was sent home with a temp crown and the appointment for delivery of said crown was postponed to give the injured area time to heal.

But then I had to have just a small scoop of Denali Moose Track Ice Cream! With mini-peanut butter cups. I didn't know that a frozen mini-peanut butter cup worked like a rock. Not only did I remove the temp crown, I actually broke off more of what was left of the tooth. Back to the dentist. Now I need to have a post inserted into what’s left of that tooth and the crown—not the one they already had made, but a newer crown—placed on the existing tooth+post. Sheanie My dental insurance HAD BEEN dickin’ around with paying for the crown. But they finally noticed that I filed a complaint with the state insurance commission, and now they want to pay right away. Too bad they have to add on the root canal money! Lol

Since we weren’t going to be going anywhere, it seemed like a good time for the “Earthquake Bolt and Brace” to happen. We don’t live in a zip code where the state helps pay, but MrSue really wanted us to do the EBB stuff...$4k. The EBB guys went under the house and came out with photos of where the NEW bathroom plumbing, done a year ago, was leaking under the house. AND, just to be fair, the 70+-year-OLD kitchen plumbing is REALLY leaking, into wall, under house, starting mold issues (we don’t know how bad) AND since that wall is part of the original (plaster) construction and different dimensions* than standard kitchen stuff, we must choose between pouring $$$ into repairing something that is…well…older than I am or dumping it and replacing it with modern stuff. (MrSue may need to make this decision later with a wife instead of a kitchen.). We SHOULD install a dishwasher. And the kitchen is forever away from the water heater and we waste so much water waiting for hot water that we really should install a point-of-use tankless water heater under the kitchen sink. Old wives kitchens may be expensive to maintain, but replacement wives kitchens can be even more costly. We HAD planned a kitchen remodel for “aging in place.**“ Some day. But now I have to decide, right now, what needs to go where. And pay for it. Now.

These things were not on my shopping list.

*Your kitchen counters are probably 24” deep. Mine are 22” on the sink-side of the kitchen, 24” on the opposite side. That means most replacement sinks, countertops and dishwashers will not fit.

**There’s some neat stuff out there, like ovens and microwaves placed at counter height and hinged on the side so that FAR less bending and reaching is required. And we used to have a Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawer dishwasher. That was cool and we only need a top drawer.

https://www.goedekers.com/Fisher-Pa...oBU1GNx9N66pYY1nAcFYqCVAzP52d2lIaAlr3EALw_wcB
Happy new year Bugger! Right rip that shit out now and get your arse down to Ikea. Get a kitchen planner to sort that shit and then get the fuckers to install it or pay your own guys. Many high end kitchen places just bulk but Ikea base items and wrap or spray them and charge the end user a squillion pounds. I know several people who have Ikea kitchens and they are hardy!

so....fly to Turkey and get a full mouth of teeth for £4000 posts and all. Visit me fucker! Save £££ by buying Ikea. Come visit me.
You’re welcome.
next?

Happy new year Bugger! Right rip that shit out now and get your arse down to Ikea. Get a kitchen planner to sort that shit and then get the fuckers to install it or pay your own guys. Many high end kitchen places just bulk but Ikea base items and wrap or spray them and charge the end user a squillion pounds. I know several people who have Ikea kitchens and they are hardy!

so....fly to Turkey and get a full mouth of teeth for £4000 posts and all. Visit me fucker! Save £££ by buying Ikea. Come visit me.
You’re welcome.
next?

Nope. It will take a while, but I’m spending John’s money on getting ready for your trip here. The kitchen mess changed the chronology, so now, it’s:
•do MOST* of the kitchen remodel
•run a sewer line out to the room behind the garage, which we will now call “Kirmy’s Room”
•do a COMPLETE pool remodel (shrink it down to something we can use all year) (huge $$$)
•install a “apres-swim shower/changing room” adjacent to Kirmy’s room
•when the building inspectors leave, connect the shower/changing room to Kirmy’s room, making it into Kirmy’s apartment.

Because of the damned kitchen debacle, there will not be $$$ for the making-the-alleged-dining-room-big-enough-for-a-table-and-four-chairs project. * I have trouble spending $$ replacing things (my 4-year-old stove) that kinda work…but there are things (built-in wall ovens that open on SIDE hinges and you don’t need to bend or reach so far to get stuff) that better serve our aging in place goals. And a SMALL refrigerator, elevated on a platform or a drawer, instead of the giant freaking THING that looks like someone parked a Scion in my kitchen.
BUT, we have a home warranty policy that, once this refrigerator dies, will pay us the cash it would cost to replace it with a similar monolith. And we can buy what we need with THEIR money.

Then, you can visit SoCal and use Kirmy’s Apartment as your base. No bighorn sheep or massive dams, but you can venture out an hour or two and find mountains, beaches, deserts, Disneyland, Channel Islands & Joshua Tree National Parks, even Salton-freakin’-Sea…and once you get THERE, you must visit the East Jesus Sculpture Garden, located inside Slab City. YOU MUST VISIT THE PHOTOS!!! RIGHT HERE:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/slab-city-california

Last edited:
Nope. It will take a while, but I’m spending John’s money on getting ready for your trip here. The kitchen mess changed the chronology, so now, it’s:
•do MOST* of the kitchen remodel
•run a sewer line out to the room behind the garage, which we will now call “Kirmy’s Room”
•do a COMPLETE pool remodel (shrink it down to something we can use all year) (huge $$$)
•install a “apres-swim shower/changing room” adjacent to Kirmy’s room
•when the building inspectors leave, connect the shower/changing room to Kirmy’s room, making it into Kirmy’s apartment.

Because of the damned kitchen debacle, there will not be $$$ for the making-the-alleged-dining-room-big-enough-for-a-table-and-four-chairs project. * I have trouble spending $$ replacing things (my 4-year-old stove) that kinda work…but there are things (built-in wall ovens that open on SIDE hinges and you don’t need to bend or reach so far to get stuff) that better serve our aging in place goals. And a SMALL refrigerator, elevated on a platform or a drawer, instead of the giant freaking THING that looks like someone parked a Scion in my kitchen.
View attachment 2234
BUT, we have a home warranty policy that, once this refrigerator dies, will pay us the cash it would cost to replace it with a similar monolith. And we can buy what we need with THEIR money.

Then, you can visit SoCal and use Kirmy’s Apartment as your base. No bighorn sheep or massive dams, but you can venture out an hour or two and find mountains, beaches, deserts, Disneyland, Channel Islands & Joshua Tree National Parks, even Salton-freakin’-Sea…and once you get THERE, you must visit the East Jesus Sculpture Garden, located inside Slab City. YOU MUST VISIT THE PHOTOS!!! RIGHT HERE:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/slab-city-califor

Wait...what freaking merry hell is this slab city? Do people go there for Jesus to heal their consumption and queer turns? The Kir room sounds exotic. I trust it will be appropriately themed with dinosaurs and sky kitties.

im defiantly recuperating from my 2021 body lift in its loving embrace. Also you’re coming with me to Mexico for my surgery so carrels don’t sell my remaining two organs.

Latest posts

Back