I was banned from Ara Keshishian's FB group....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think EN is the bomb-dickity!
I must have missed the post in question.
But I did comment on Sharon's post - I'm glad she brought it up, it is like an elephant in the room!
Who (let me guess) deleted their post this time? The chick who has like 4 profiles, she creates a new one each time she gets kicked off of a site.

I learn from you vets each and every day! Spiky Bugger, you need to get on FB, it'll make your hair turn gray with all the craziness! :)
Thanks EN for all you do!
My gray is WELL-established and covers a good 95%. I may have missed that boat...lol

ETA...my husband thinks it's perhaps 100%. Oh, well.

R:
I think EN is the bomb-dickity!
I must have missed the post in question.
But I did comment on Sharon's post - I'm glad she brought it up, it is like an elephant in the room!
Who (let me guess) deleted their post this time? The chick who has like 4 profiles, she creates a new one each time she gets kicked off of a site.

I learn from you vets each and every day! Spiky Bugger, you need to get on FB, it'll make your hair turn gray with all the craziness! :)
Thanks EN for all you do!
Let me state out loud, not that anyone will believe me since the GOD OF THE DS has come out against me:
I DO NOT GIVE A RAT'S ASS WHAT ANYBODY ON THE INTERNET THINKS OF ME, INCLUDING ARA KESHISHIAN.

*Sigh* While I am not on that site often and have no idea what is going on I ask that you do not call him. Those of us who he called asking for updates post-op will thank you. I would hope whatever going on does not impact access to him for former, current and future patients.

He called me every day the first week I went home then every 3 days for 2 full weeks. He saved my life I do not care if he is internet savvy or not.
I hope you work it out, you have allot to offer those who listen.

Proud Mother Fuckin Dr. K Minion.

Peace.
He's a damned good guy. It's okay to be his minion. He's having a panic problem because I have his cell number...because he's too fucking stupid to block his number. That is not your fault. He's an internet moron who has my phone number, real name, physical and email address, but instead of contacting me he had chosen to stalk Diana about me. This is evidenced of assholeishness at best.

Wow!

I had heard that his brother did his internetting for him...but this is too bad.

I have no idea, since I don't FB. (But maybe I'm glad, because he is my surgeon and he is the person I need access to when I'm in trouble?)
Some kind of female shithead does his Internetting. He should hire me to do it for real, but he s scared of us sew meen bitches.

REMEMBER: I do shitheadedness for a living, Ara. You should employ me instead of making me your enemy, asshole.

"instead of contacting me he had chosen to stalk Diana about me"
Le sigh. I didn't want to respond, but I have to, since EN has chosen to violate the confidentiality of a conversation I had with her, attempting to forestall just this.

EN utterly mischaracterizes our private conversation, including what I felt I could tell her of my private discussions with Dr.K. And I'm very pissed that she brought it up at all, here and elsewhere, since we were having what I expressly and unequivocally told her was a PRIVATE, CONFIDENTIAL conversation, which will end our friendship if she posted anything about it. Now I feel I have to discuss things I did not want to discuss publicly, while I worked behind the scenes to fix some problems that have arisen, which EN seems to think are all about her - they are not.

Dr.K and I have a long history of communications on a wide variety of topics, including collaborating on a number of things for the purpose of benefiting DS patients. We recently began discussing bullying on the internets, in particular on patient-run DS message boards, which includes ALL of them - this place, the dozens of FB groups, OH, etc. He is considering limiting the sites to which he provides links on his under-reconstruction DSFacts site, to exclude places where what HE considers bullying is permitted. I am engaged in trying to dissuade him from attempting to moderate boards that are not his in this manner.

I am not a member of Dr.K's board, never have been, never will be. It would interfere with my ability to be as frank and open with him as I want to be. I also am not and have never been in any way, in any capacity, an owner, mod or admin of any DS or bariatric surgery board (I own a couple of family Facebook pages, that's it). Over the years, Dr.K has received complaints - presumably either on his FB page, or by other communications, about MY postings, EN's postings and numerous others as well. He opened the conversation with me by asking me to consider acting more professionally (because I'm a lawyer and a scientist) on the message boards. I politely told him no.

Dr.K feels very strongly - and I think wrongly - that bullying is a big problem on some of these message boards. He also has a very different definition of "bullying" than I do, though I suppose the distinction between "tough love" and "bullying" get a little fuzzy at the margins. (He also has concerns about patients making medical recommendations as well, but that's a WHOLE nother topic.) He is concerned in addition about his personal integrity (based on his personal beliefs about this kind of behavior) and potential legal liability if he links to places where bullying takes place. The former is his prerogative, and he's certainly entitled to boot anyone off of his own Facebook page who posts in a manner he finds offensive. (Though why he allows GodLuvsMe and PedoBear on his board is beyond me.) But I think he is just plain wrong about the legal liability - a simple disclaimer will solve that issue.

Nevertheless, Dr.K rather naively would like to see more civility on all the message boards. He not only asked me to rein myself in, but also suggested that I should take it upon myself to ask others to behave with more decorum, and to consider more carefully the effect of our bullying on fragile newbies in particular. Again, I told him I don't control anyone else's behavior, I don't run any message boards - but, just to prove a point, I raised the issue on another board and asked people who were members of Dr.K's board to post "seriously annoying things to the Terminally Offended on Dr. K's group in persistent yet respectful terms, challenging them on fine points of errors they are making." in order to "make a point with Dr. K about how difficult it is to moderate a FB or other message board, and to figure out WHOM to shut up when the stupid gets thick, and the vets are giving good advice - even insufferably but persistently nicely delivered."

Well, clearly EN and I (and Dr.K) do not have the same idea about what is meant by "persistent yet respectful." because EN posted something on his board that pissed him (and presumably his mods) off enough that they banned her - and I don't blame them. Dr.K sent me a copy of her last post as a demonstration of the kind of over-the-top behavior he would not tolerate, and while it was not bullying, I agree that it was rude in the extreme. I think EN would have banned anyone who acted like she did from her own FB group in a NY minute.

Dr.K is not on the rampage against EN - his issue is bullying in general, and rudeness and incivility, and she is merely an extreme and blatant example of the type of behavior he thinks is counterproductive. I think he has a fanciful view of how the internets work, and I'm trying to patiently explain that to him, and get him to MHOB. In particular, I would like him to understand that all social media sites have some sort of blocking capability that allows the Terminally Offended to live in peace from the Big Bad Bullies. I think I'm making some headway.

But threads like this and the other one EN posted are not helpful. And I deeply resent that she violated my confidential discussion with her and posted what she did. And without any discussion about this between us, it is my impression that Dr.K does not have the slightest bit of interest in speaking with EN at all, ever. I have no idea how she can imagine that he "owes" her a phone call or any other contact. I certainly hope she does not make good on her threat to call him, either. Because that's just obnoxious, counterproductive, and utterly inappropriate.

*Sigh* While I am not on that site often and have no idea what is going on I ask that you do not call him. Those of us who he called asking for updates post-op will thank you. I would hope whatever going on does not impact access to him for former, current and future patients.

He called me every day the first week I went home then every 3 days for 2 full weeks. He saved my life I do not care if he is internet savvy or not.
I hope you work it out, you have allot to offer those who listen.

Proud Mother Fuckin Dr. K Minion.

Peace.
I am NOT going to call him. Never intended to. I wish he would speak to me directly rather than using others to do so, but that is his issue, not mine.

@DianaCox , I have to hit the road soon, will be gone most of the day and not sure how much time I'll be online. I'll get back to this, wanted you to know I'm not ignoring/avoiding your post.

"I wish he would speak to me directly rather than using others to do so"
For at least the tenth time: not only did he not "use" or "manipulate" me to talk to you about this specific incident, I'm sure he would really REALLY rather I did not. I talked to you, privately and in confidence, because we are FRIENDS, and because I wanted you to understand that what you are doing is potentially hurting this site - even though I vehemently think that it SHOULD NOT, and I'm trying to convince Dr.K not to do this. But you are still failing to see or comprehend the BIG picture, which is that this is NOT about you in particular, just that you are the most egregious example of the kind of behavior he will not tolerate.

As I said in our private correspondence last night*:

Do you want to know why The Shrub won the 2004 elections? Because of someone standing on principle at THE WRONG TIME.

Gavin Newsom, at that time mayor of SF, lost the election for (oh gawd, I can't even remember who ran) the Dems.

Newsom succumbed to the idealistic (and somewhat self-promoting) notion that he had the political capital IN SF to stand behind and start performing same-sex marriages - just several weeks before the election.

Ohio was standing in the balance. The DNC told him NOT TO DO IT - wait until after the election. He did it anyway - and the RNC turned that into the driver for ENORMOUS GOP turnout in Ohio, which lost them that key state and the election.​

* http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/GAY-MARRIAGE-Did-issue-help-re-elect-Bush-2677003.php

This is what you are doing - standing on what YOU believe is the principled thing to do, and then letting your (alcohol-fueled?) emotions get out of control, and not appreciating that even if you are right on principle, you are WRONG in execution. And, I believe you misapprehend Dr.K's perception of the importance of your contributions to the DS patients overall - which I would guess he sees as having a negative value, because of HOW you post. Right or wrong, that is the take-home lesson from this incident.

Someone pointed this out to me as being what is likely the totality of Dr.K's interest in you as a person:
“Dr. K is a surgeon. Surgeons are like men on steroids. If the average man wants to fix a problem, not ruminate on it, then surgeons are a thousand times worse. Here's the problem, cut it out, ta-da, no more problem.”

You need to stop taking this personally, because it is not personal. I have not spoken with him about this at all, but I am confident that Dr.K will NOT be calling you, would have not the slightest interest in calling you or communicating with you in any way, and you need to let go of that. There is simply no reason for him to want to mend fences with you, because he has solved the problem by deleting you from his board and his life. I am pretty sure that anything you do after this to try to effect a rapprochement with him is going to be seen as harassment. So don't do it.

This is not to defend him - this is to give you PRACTICAL advice, both for your own benefit and for the benefit of this board. See the Gavin Newsom example again - reread it until you understand it. And then LET IT GO - it's over, and it's done.

Last edited:
@DianaCox , and for anyone else whom I might have offended by my misbehavior, my apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I have been composing and rewriting thoughts off and on for a couple of days, and I think that the majority of what I've been trying to write will be better placed on DSP on FB, where I seem to have blathered a lot more egregiously than I did here.

Here's a very short summary of what was going on in my head the other night.

1. I started with the intent to vent in my usual fashion about forum nannying, people too stupid to live with a DS and that whole general subject. The only minimally new/different aspect to that intended vent was the fact that I had just gotten banned from Dr. K.'s FB group, which is populated with these types of folks and moderated IMNSHO by people who are both incompetent in the usual ways but ALSO inexperienced, at best, in how to use social networking to good advantage.

2. I also intended to communicate that I'd had several very normal and good interactions with Dr. K. over the years, so much so that I felt comfortable reaching out to him about my study. I am NOT hurt in the slightest by his lack of response. I AM bothered in GENERAL by bariatric surgeons' apparent obliviousness to the topic of my study, which is long term quality of life in WLS patients.

3. BY NO MEANS would it ever enter my head to call him and bitch about any part of his Internet presence or his staff. (Or for any other matter.) I was worried that piece might have been completely garbled in my drunken rambling, but upon rereading here, at least, I don't think that was garbled at all. (We shall see what I discover on FB when I get back to that thread.)

4. I have a godawful horrible emotional trigger thing about triangulations and third-hand communications. In my daze of idiocy, which was only partially alcohol-fueled (so please, nobody think I'm blaming booze; it only made me less able to communicate what was going on in my head), I got off on a rampage about that and accused Diana of doing something she absolutely WAS NOT doing. For that matter, I accused Dr. K. of it as well, and that's just dumb.

*sigh* And so I had a fucking meltdown all over this place and all over my friend. I am so sorry.

So this is how people with character and integrity handle things? No back peddling or deleting? Thank you all.

I deleted one post on the FB thread, but announced that I had done so. It was pretty incomprehensible, to the point that I didn't think I could explain it in edits. I'll work on doing that in the other posts before long. Am posting from my phone cuz home internet is down, still.

Kudos to y0u. I admire people that take responsibility and step up to the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back