Didja ever just get a bad vibe from someone?

Spiky Bugger

A new inmate just moved in. Her daughter was helping and smiling and cheerful. But something seemed “off.” Maybe I was just jealous. The daughter is a business owner, active in Chamber of Commerce (in two cities), just returned with Rotary from helping build (in a day) a tiny “home” for a couple in Mexico, on her town’s Rose Parade Float committee, participated in FundRaisers for Cancer Society and an Animal Shelter. All of this, and lots more, on her FB page. So, a perfect human right?

And then…and I know it’s REALLY small stuff, but that often tells you more about someone:
•she moved her mom in HERE, even though a far more upscale place, that costs about $2k/mo more, is much closer to her home and business; and,
•she parked her F’ing Tesla, ALL DAY, in a handicapped spot here and has no handicapped placard or license plate.

I dunno. (And staff has already figured out that the Mom is mean and aimed at and ran into a caregiver with her walker.). I guess I AM jealous that she can do all that stuff. But I still don’t like her.

ETA: And belongs to the Walking Club and volunteers at a hospital and more.

AND Edited again: maybe she’s really nice, but super hyperactive? (But still…if I had enough $ to be involved in all those organizations AND have a Tesla, my mom would be at the high rent district facility close to my home.)

Last edited:
I tend to trust those instincts ever since I read The Gift of Fear a long time ago.

so, you don't like the daughter but what about the New Inmate herself?
I kind of remember hearing about that book. I guess I need to read it!

The inmate apparently tried to crash into a caregiver with her walker. But she was friendly to me today.

AND…so was her daughter. Maybe I was too harsh…

BUT…I was talking, to the receptionist and a caregiver, about negative first impressions…

AND one caregiver asked, “You wouldn’t be talking about someone who just moved in, would you?” And she laughed!

Time will tell.

When people tell you who they are, believe them.

Around here, very few KNOW who they are…lol

The daughter told me that her mother likes Mondays and Tuesdays best, because she thinks the guy who fills in for the full-time receptionist is her grandson.

Moving and settling in to a new place is stressful for anyone, both for the movers and volunteer extra hands, and can involved mixed feelings when that move is downsizing into assisted living. So, I'd suggest giving a bit of grace for at least the first two weeks, and especially on moving day itself when emotions are bound to be high and anyone involved in the physical aspects likely would be tired and cranky. That said, parking in a handicapped spot without a placard or plate is a troubling red flag. Hope the new inmate becomes a great friend.

Also, you are quite accomplished and perfect the way you are - do not measure yourself against a facebook facade.

Latest posts

Back