Enough is enough!

tysweetpea

I havent posted on here for quite some time and I am not sure I am sharing in the write area. I am more of a FB gal.
I had rny in 2001 lost about 100 lbs...had a baby and regained. Had revision to trad DS in 2017 lost 150 lbs. Now I have crept back up about 70-80 lbs. Not that this is an excuse, I have several chronic medical conditions and alot of stressors in my life. I also have Lipedema but cant get care with my insurance. Sadly, I am on disability now and my financial situation makes it hard to properly support my DS all the time but I am trying. I just had iron infusions and my vit D3 is prescribed (its dry Biotech). I just am not sure where to go from here. I need several surgeries but I would like to get some of this weight off again. My doctor gave my Wegovy but I am nervous to try due to the risks. My liver enzyme are a little up and I have pancreatic atrophy. I see my Rheumatogist in the next month. Any gentle suggestions on where to start to get this weight to come off again?

I'm so sorry you are having so many medical issues! it's why I don't immediately have any suggestions, but I think you are asking in a good place and smarter people than me will be along soon.

my financial situation makes it hard to properly support my DS all the time but I am trying

what does this mean exactly? you don't always supplement or haven't had your labs done regularly? I am asking to know, don't mean any judgement on you for sure. life is hard and then you live somewhere without decent healthcare coverage for everyone.
:mad:

I'm so sorry you are having so many medical issues! it's why I don't immediately have any suggestions, but I think you are asking in a good place and smarter people than me will be along soon.

what does this mean exactly? you don't always supplement or haven't had your labs done regularly? I am asking to know, don't mean any judgement on you for sure. life is hard and then you live somewhere without decent healthcare coverage for everyone.
:mad:
Hi, I always have my labs done regularly. I have to especially with my autoimmune conditions. I always tell my PCP to run vit labs ...this is how I am getting iron infusions right now. I told her that it is low and to refer me. My labs are not the greatest but I am addressing my iron and vit d right now. I am about to get some labs to ck up on some that has been low in the past. Trying to learn how Medicare works too. My husband and term cancer and my stress level hasnt been the greatest either. Dealing with his conditions and trying to navigate and advocate with medicare/medicaid and irresponsible doctors can put anyone over the edge. No family or friend supports either so it is day by day.

@tysweetpea I can completely understand income restrictions and medical issues. While personally I wouldn’t do Wegovy, I’m curious, is your doctor going to continue to supply you with it or will it become a prescription? You need to check how expensive it’s going to be if it’s a prescription.

I don’t know which drug plan you are using but mine would have a cow if I used one of those. While I’m not on Medicaid, I am on Medicare and a fixed income. I can help on sorting out how to deal with some stuff on Medicare itself. I’ve been on it long enough. Are you using a Dual Advantage plan for the Medicare/Medicaid? I use straight Medicare and a Medicare Supplement.

Dealing with his conditions and trying to navigate and advocate with medicare/medicaid and irresponsible doctors can put anyone over the edge. No family or friend supports either so it is day by day.
very hard, indeed, I'm so sorry. at the very least you can vent here and I know anyone with answers would be happy to post. I find the more info people have the better but generally share or not however you feel most comfortable.

that is a sweet looking dog!

I'm so sorry you are going through all this! It sounds like a lot, and we don't even know the whole story.
Regarding Wegovy, I would discuss with the doc who is willing to order it for you regarding your specific concerns related to your ongoing medical problems. Every medication has potential risks and potential benefits, and Wegovy is no exception. And medical care can, and should, be individualized. It might be that this drug is just as safe (or unsafe) for you as for anyone else. Or maybe not. But it does have potential benefits and worth a discussion.

I havent posted on here for quite some time and I am not sure I am sharing in the write area. I am more of a FB gal.
I had rny in 2001 lost about 100 lbs...had a baby and regained. Had revision to trad DS in 2017 lost 150 lbs. Now I have crept back up about 70-80 lbs. Not that this is an excuse, I have several chronic medical conditions and alot of stressors in my life. I also have Lipedema but cant get care with my insurance. Sadly, I am on disability now and my financial situation makes it hard to properly support my DS all the time but I am trying. I just had iron infusions and my vit D3 is prescribed (its dry Biotech). I just am not sure where to go from here. I need several surgeries but I would like to get some of this weight off again. My doctor gave my Wegovy but I am nervous to try due to the risks. My liver enzyme are a little up and I have pancreatic atrophy. I see my Rheumatogist in the next month. Any gentle suggestions on where to start to get this weight to come off again?
My facts and circumstances are somewhat like yours. Traditional DS 2001, 100 common channel, weight regain and lipedema. I learned from other DSers on bariactricfacts (add “.org” to URL) and Facebook’s, “Duodenal Switch Support Group”, that fats are not the enemy (Carbs are) and for longer term DS veterans, fat is used as a lever. I followed a modified keto diet and didn’t count calories. I made sure that I got daily at least 120g protein, 100g fat, and stay under 50 g TOTAL carbs (not net carbs). The regain weight melted off.
I hope you find this information helpful, Of course, everyone’s case is unique.

@tysweetpea I can completely understand income restrictions and medical issues. While personally I wouldn’t do Wegovy, I’m curious, is your doctor going to continue to supply you with it or will it become a prescription? You need to check how expensive it’s going to be if it’s a prescription.

I don’t know which drug plan you are using but mine would have a cow if I used one of those. While I’m not on Medicaid, I am on Medicare and a fixed income. I can help on sorting out how to deal with some stuff on Medicare itself. I’ve been on it long enough. Are you using a Dual Advantage plan for the Medicare/Medicaid? I use straight Medicare and a Medicare Supplement.
Hi =) I have orginial medicare (due to disability, Im 52) and I have HPSJ Medicaid..so dual coverage. Of course medicare will not cover any weightloss products but medicaid does. I have it fully paid for in my fridge...just getting the nerve to start to see if it will boost my loss again. I did hold off because I was going to have one of my shoulder surgeries but I am working through PT right now while my husband has jaw surgery. Darn zometa gave him Osteoporosis... so now he has a fractured jaw. Just what he needs on top of his cancer.

My doctor will continue to order the wegovy as long as I need it. She is very supportive in most areas but I definitely have to speak up and advocate. If wegovy give too many side effects (which im prone too) then maybe zepbound. I am apparently in menopause now and all hell has broken loose...lots of hormonal things too. Of course everything for me is always put on hold until the family is taken care of.

very hard, indeed, I'm so sorry. at the very least you can vent here and I know anyone with answers would be happy to post. I find the more info people have the better but generally share or not however you feel most comfortable.

Thank you! definitely need to vent sometimes! Good and the bad. Am I in the correct thread to do so? I am still trying to get the hang of forums lol

the puppy is our senior yorkipoo Daisy. She came into our lives to save us when my husband was dx with cancer. She has helped our who family! We also have 2 cocker mixes, Tyger and Baby...who are also seniors and a new comer I rescued..a Malshi (maltese/shihtzu) Rosey

I'm so sorry you are going through all this! It sounds like a lot, and we don't even know the whole story.
Regarding Wegovy, I would discuss with the doc who is willing to order it for you regarding your specific concerns related to your ongoing medical problems. Every medication has potential risks and potential benefits, and Wegovy is no exception. And medical care can, and should, be individualized. It might be that this drug is just as safe (or unsafe) for you as for anyone else. Or maybe not. But it does have potential benefits and worth a discussion.
Hi Larra....good to hear from you again. You and Diana helped me with getting the DS with Dr. Rabkin back in 2017 💓. My PCP ordered it and thought it could help lose but didnt bring up anything about side effects. Very vague. Its true noone knows how you will react to a drug until you try it. I have so much going on that I am trying to find the right time not to mention get past the anxiety of it.

My facts and circumstances are somewhat like yours. Traditional DS 2001, 100 common channel, weight regain and lipedema. I learned from other DSers on bariactricfacts (add “.org” to URL) and Facebook’s, “Duodenal Switch Support Group”, that fats are not the enemy (Carbs are) and for longer term DS veterans, fat is used as a lever. I followed a modified keto diet and didn’t count calories. I made sure that I got daily at least 120g protein, 100g fat, and stay under 50 g TOTAL carbs (not net carbs). The regain weight melted off.
I hope you find this information helpful, Of course, everyone’s case is unique.
Hi....I have rny 2001 and revised to ds in 2017. I never county calories. For some reason, I cant eat that much. Its so hard to get that much protein and fat and it seems like everything has carbs in it lol. On an average day, I would have 2 cups of coffee with premier protein in it for the morning. Sometimes I have breakfast but not often. Afternoon a greek yogurt oikos and typically for dinner, 1/4 cup rice, a chicken thigh and some kind of veggie. Snack at night could be a pudding or another greek yogurt. I dont think my budget can handle that much food either as i have 2 guys in my family that eat not so nutritious food and eat it all up lol.

Hi....I have rny 2001 and revised to ds in 2017. I never county calories. For some reason, I cant eat that much. Its so hard to get that much protein and fat and it seems like everything has carbs in it lol. On an average day, I would have 2 cups of coffee with premier protein in it for the morning. Sometimes I have breakfast but not often. Afternoon a greek yogurt oikos and typically for dinner, 1/4 cup rice, a chicken thigh and some kind of veggie. Snack at night could be a pudding or another greek yogurt. I dont think my budget can handle that much food either as i have 2 guys in my family that eat not so nutritious food and eat it all up lol.

I was having trouble getting enough fat and protein in, so I started making 'bulletproof' coffee and adding protein powder. Basically, I brew my coffee, add one tablespoon of coconut oil and one tablespoon of unsalted cultured butter and blend that up. Then I add a bit of Fairlife milk and one serving of protein powder and blend it up again. I try to focus on eating protein the rest of the day, adding fats when I can.

I would skip the rice until you are in maintenance. It takes up tummy room that you can use for protein.

Latest posts

Back