I am worried about myself

I did that a couple times until I read here that the body can only absorb 30 grams of protien at one shot, so by adding an extra scoop to shakes, you are really only wasting that money....and it is expensive. Squishy hugs.

VERY good point to make, and VERY true, and is especially even more of a fact when the protein source is whey isolate which absorbs even quicker. Plus, when doing that your body will crash and you get super sluggish and tired, at least I do.

I've read conflicting things on that...but the prevailing thing I've seen is that there is no evidence to suggest that's true.
Hopefully somebody in the know will chime in and give more info on that....maybe @DianaCox knows the answer.

"God I hope Diana doesn't prove me wrong again"....LOL..and...will hopefully give the more technical details.....But YES, it is true and it is even of larger scope than that. Your body will only absorb ANYTHING it can burn within about a 15-30 min time period, the rest is stored or goes to waste, but protein, especially liquid protein and even more importantly whey protein isolate is absorbed quicker. The times it is utilized most efficiently are first thing in the morning after fasting while sleeping and before/after exercise.

Last edited:
Well.....what if it takes me an hour to drink said protien drink? Will I absorb more of it? I usually mix it up before I get in the shower, drink some after my vitamins, take my shower, drink a bit more, take it in the car with me to work and finish it up after I get to work. So it is about 90 minutes from start to finish.

Maybe try walking the store isles and looking at everything really close. I only have a couple stores local but I would walk them slowly and actually grab a product and look at closely. I grabbed a hamburger helper "Cheeseburger Macaroni" once and held it in my hands. I knew about that stuff for years and never gave it a second thought. As I stared at the picture I think my mind liked the cheesey moist look so I took it home and did it up with the Costco fajita beef, a dash of Longhorn BBQ, and some Colby/Jack cheese on top and baked it. The baking cheese smelled good and looked good too. The steak chunks were really good in the sauce and I even did a few of the noodles though the slippery part of that was not a big hit. My next try I just did it without the noodles and way more steak chunks. I ate that many times when nothing sounded good.

Plan to spend a morning or afternoon walking the isles and cases. I really think that if it appeals to your eyes at first it will go a long way toward working out for the rest of your senses too. I also got on a big stir fry kick for a while. Its kinda noisy with lots of steam and smoke and I liked that part. I played around with many of the sauces in the Asian section. Do use caution though, my stir fry gig came to an abrupt end when I zipped the ends of my fingers off on one of those nifty mandolin slicers. There should be training videos and certifications with those utensils of death.

One last thing and I'll shut up. Ever tried deep fried turkey/chicken? Butterball makes a deep fryer that is clean, safe, and can be used indoors. It is stupid simple and even has a nice drain feature to put the oil back in the oil jug. Take a look HERE. I still love the smell, taste, texture, and moistness of deep fried turkey and chicken. If it works for you I can offer up some brines and injectables that really work well. I did a turkey Monday night, cut/bagged it and I am still munching on it. You can also get a cheapo slicer at Walmart and make thin deli type slices that worked for me early on. I'm starving, gotta go. Hope you find some good options. Take care. EW

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I did that a couple times until I read here that the body can only absorb 30 grams of protien at one shot, so by adding an extra scoop to shakes, you are really only wasting that money....and it is expensive. Squishy hugs.
As far as I know that is a myth. And yes, it's out there everywhere. I have yet to see anything remotely SCIENTIFIC that supports it.

Yep - omeprezole - 40mg X 2 daily
Omeprazole doesn't to ANYTHING to help me. And this was back when it was still a prescription not OTC.
I have to use Lansoprazole or Pantoprazole...some have to use Dexlansoprazole.

Clinically used proton pump inhibitors:
  • Omeprazole (OTC; brand names: Gasec, Losec, Prilosec, Zegerid, ocid, Lomac, Omepral, Omez, Omepep, UlcerGard, GastroGard, Altosec)
  • Lansoprazole (brand names: Prevacid, Zoton, Monolitum, Inhibitol, Levant, Lupizole)
  • Dexlansoprazole (brand name: Kapidex, Dexilant)
  • Esomeprazole (brand names: Nexium, Esotrex, esso)
  • Pantoprazole (brand names: Protonix, Somac, Pantoloc, Pantozol, Pantomed, Zurcal, Zentro, Pan, Controloc, Tecta)
  • Rabeprazole (brand names: AcipHex, Pariet, Erraz, Zechin, Rabecid, Nzole-D, Rabeloc, Razo. Dorafem
  • Ilaprazole (not FDA approved as of October 2013; brand names: Noltec, Yili'an, Ilapro, Lupilla, Adiza)

Maybe try walking the store isles and looking at everything really close. I only have a couple stores local but I would walk them slowly and actually grab a product and look at closely. I grabbed a hamburger helper "Cheeseburger Macaroni" once and held it in my hands. I knew about that stuff for years and never gave it a second thought. As I stared at the picture I think my mind liked the cheesey moist look so I took it home and did it up with the Costco fajita beef, a dash of Longhorn BBQ, and some Colby/Jack cheese on top and baked it. The baking cheese smelled good and looked good too. The steak chunks were really good in the sauce and I even did a few of the noodles though the slippery part of that was not a big hit. My next try I just did it without the noodles and way more steak chunks. I ate that many times when nothing sounded good.

Plan to spend a morning or afternoon walking the isles and cases. I really think that if it appeals to your eyes at first it will go a long way toward working out for the rest of your senses too. I also got on a big stir fry kick for a while. Its kinda noisy with lots of steam and smoke and I liked that part. I played around with many of the sauces in the Asian section. Do use caution though, my stir fry gig came to an abrupt end when I zipped the ends of my fingers off on one of those nifty mandolin slicers. There should be training videos and certifications with those utensils of death.

One last thing and I'll shut up. Ever tried deep fried turkey/chicken? Butterball makes a deep fryer that is clean, safe, and can be used indoors. It is stupid simple and even has a nice drain feature to put the oil back in the oil jug. Take a look HERE. I still love the smell, taste, texture, and moistness of deep fried turkey and chicken. If it works for you I can offer up some brines and injectables that really work well. I did a turkey Monday night, cut/bagged it and I am still munching on it. You can also get a cheapo slicer at Walmart and make thin deli type slices that worked for me early on. I'm starving, gotta go. Hope you find some good options. Take care. EW
Eric, do you give lessons to other males on HOW to wander a store??? Mine is in a hurry and while there are times I'm okay with that, sometimes *I* need to wander.

As to the Mandolin slicer...it is SHARP for a reason! I never sliced off the skin but I did lose a nail or two over the years. Finally got me a new one a few weeks ago.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Eric, do you give lessons to other males on HOW to wander a store???

Tell him to think of it like a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop with a few more kid tantrums in the isles. Swing him by the magazine rack and throw in the latest Guns n Ammo or the swim suit edition into the cart so he can study up while you scrutinize the labels for carbs and sodium. My wife got tired of me moaning about extended shopping once and challenged me to find any blue food. Being a fairly quick study I rushed right to the blueberries (deductive man thinking) and what a shocker to find out they were purple. It is a bit of a challenge to find blue food. Almost evey other color is represented in one way or another in the grocery store. My wife is sneaky like that. lol. EW

Tell him to think of it like a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop with a few more kid tantrums in the isles. Swing him by the magazine rack and throw in the latest Guns n Ammo or the swim suit edition into the cart so he can study up while you scrutinize the labels for carbs and sodium. My wife got tired of me moaning about extended shopping once and challenged me to find any blue food. Being a fairly quick study I rushed right to the blueberries (deductive man thinking) and what a shocker to find out they were purple. It is a bit of a challenge to find blue food. Almost evey other color is represented in one way or another in the grocery store. My wife is sneaky like that. lol. EW
HE has that issue in Cabela's and Bass Pro as well. About the ONLY one I can actually get him to slow down and let me look is a Home Depot or Lowe's.

He hasn't mastered the ability to JUST look or realize that I have that ability. His ex was a shopaholic...if it wasn't nailed down, she bought it. I'm far more likely to tell HIM NO!

:helpsmiley:I am 17 weeks out and I still can't eat hardly anything. Nothing tastes good. Smells revolt me. Textures send me over the edge. I can't eat eggs as I can't stand the smell or the texture. I can't stand the smell of bacon cooking...I can eat it if I don't have to smell it. Chicken is the worst. About all I can stand is steak, cooked medium rare and an occasional pork chop and cheese sticks. I am still living on protien shakes and half the time I can't do those as the sweetness turns my stomach. I take a PPI 40 mg, twice a day. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl as I don't consume enough calories in a day (I assume) Please tell me I will be OK and that this too shall pass!?!? :cry:
:mess:
I promise you it passes. Like the others said, keep up the hydration. I didn't even like the smell of water anymore post op, and all smells and tastes were offputting. Keep trying tiny bits of new things - yogurt, re fried beans with melted cheese, SOMEthing will seem less revolting.

Latest posts

Back