Sinus headache? Nope. It’s a migraine!

Spiky Bugger

Long background story...involving my cheapness...and medical types dismissing women...and science moves on...and my cheapness.

Skeleton:
In Army basic training, you stand in a gas chamber, remove your gas mask, talk, run out of the chamber. After that, I kept going on “sick call” and getting dx’d w/sinusitis and, occasionally, malingering. (Grrrr.). There were maybe 3-4 migraine headaches that were totally disabling but never for more than a day. I also developed ANOSMIA, which means I can’t smell shit...literally..or anything else for that matter, but that developed more slowly. I applied for VA disability benefits for another thing, but threw the sinus thing in as well. I was rated at 10%. About 30 yrs later, I went back (the cheapness) and said that the sinus thing was worse and now I can’t smell anything. VA said, “Well, but you aren’t having disabling headaches anymore, and there’s no connection between gas chambers and sinus issues, so we’re dropping you to 0%.”

A few weeks ago, I was telling MiniSue’s boyfriend about anosmia. I googled it and two of the first things to show up were claims from veterans who WERE granted a disability rating based on anosmia post-gas chamber and one of those vets had been treated/diagnosed a nearby VA clinic. So (cheapness), I decided I’d go to my local VA, get evaluated, ask for a second opinion from the “nearby” one and get my 10% reinstated. Oh, and make sure there’s still no way to fix this.

I went yesterday. Cute young doctor. He read my history, including the copies of my sick call records from 1973. He kept asking questions and with each of my honest answers, he became more animated. Because:

https://migrainepal.com/author/teixido/

The reason that my complaints of sinus headaches were not respected was that, on x-ray exam, my sinuses were fine and I was whining and/or malingering. And because I’m a girl.

Turns out that IF you have a headache with pressure in the sinus area, BUT you don’t have a history of green goobies and/or blood and/or a fever, you may be having a migraine.

We think that “a migraine” is only a killer headache. It isn’t. It seems that it’s a chemical thing for folks with a “sensitive brain.” So sensitive that while a sufferer can eat chocolate one day and be fine, and drink red wine the next day and be fine, if s/he consumes wine with dinner and has a chocolate dessert at the same meal, s/he can have a terrible reaction.

I go back next month for imaging...CAT scan and MRI of the brain. (MrSue said we’ll find out if one of the squirrels fell off the wheel.). (He can be obnoxious.)

I don’t understand what, if anything, this has to do with my $$. The doctor said that THIS diagnosis is a far more provable connection than the gas chamber-anosmia link, but I don’t know why. But I’m always good with more money.

Also...I again took the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Pennsylvania_Smell_Identification_Test
Last time, I got 13 right out of 40. Now I’m down to 11. And those were total random guesses. I couldn't smell even one. MrSue was nearby and thought some of the smells were overwhelming. Go figure.

Last edited:
I have migraines without your particular history. They can be disabling and can hang on for a couple DAYs if not treated. Fortunately, I respond well to Imitrex, not everyone does.
Then again, I always knew I was a sensitive person.

Not to make too light of your maladies... but

Re " I also developed ANOSMIA, ".... how do I catch it... with all the recent farting, I could use a bout...

I don’t understand what, if anything, this has to do with my $$. The doctor said that THIS diagnosis is a far more provable connection than the gas chamber-anosmia link, but I don’t know why. But I’m always good with more money.

what little I know (so far) about veterans is from talking to an online friend who works for the VA as a social worker. and I know getting any % disabled = $ and the more the better.

so good for you, I hope it works out. they had you inhale poison, they should pay you for that!!!

In Air Force basic training, I learned how to apply make-up. Seriously. That's how I learned to use a green primer or powder to diminish the rosy in my cheeks.

I'm trying to get approved for VA benefits also due to my cheapness. Although not service related per my records, I would love help paying for my hearing aids that I'm sure I need. All that can happen is that I get denied, right?

In Air Force basic training, I learned how to apply make-up. Seriously. That's how I learned to use a green primer or powder to diminish the rosy in my cheeks.

I'm trying to get approved for VA benefits also due to my cheapness. Although not service related per my records, I would love help paying for my hearing aids that I'm sure I need. All that can happen is that I get denied, right?
My dad's hearing aids are paid through VA due to diminished hearing / deafness attributed to exposure to aircraft noise. He was an Air Force pilot. Not sure if you had similar exposure to plane noise in any of your assignments, but if so, make sure to raise it.

This doesn’t match hilary1617 ’s dad’s experience, but government stuff seldom makes sense. Anyway...

MrSue’s hearing was so damaged that at his discharge physical, the tech created a spare copy of his audiology testing and gave it to him, saying “You’re going to need this.” Twenty years later, we learned that he could have had a medical discharge, which would have meant better benefits.

Eventually though, he applied for and was granted a whopping 10% disability and they pop for his hearing aids. However...the 10% is NOT for his hearing loss. VA logic is that once they provide (or offer) hearing aids, you no longer have a “loss.” The 10% is for the tinnitus that goes along with the auditory damage. Go freakin’ figure. Anyway, if you have tinnitus, you really ought to mention it.

For anyone just lurking and reading...the point for the too-young-for-Medicare crowd is also...back when SOME OF US enlisted/got drafted, we were told that we wouldn't make much money, but if we survived, we’d get lifetime medical. A few decades ago, the govt started saying that there is no law allowing that benefit to everyone. But, dammit, my father just wandered into a VA hospital for non-service connected stuff. And my mom’s father did, too. And hundreds of old farts at the senior development where we used to live thought we were promised that care.

Anyway, there are now Priority Groups. (And for a while, there was a net worth criteria.) If you have even a 10% disability rating for anything, you qualify for care for everything except free meds...and even then, they charge $9\Rx. I had my panniculectomy at the VA. So, k9ophile, if you have documented proof of ANY service-connected disability, then that should be enough to qualify you for the hearing aids, too.

And, just in case you hadn’t heard (oh! A little pun?):
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/otc-hearing-aids-are-coming-but-theyre-not-for-everyone/

it's insane that vets should have to fight/cheat/go without for medical coverage and I especially hate it in this city, where I hear all the pro-military talk constantly. they want to thank you for your service, but don't want to vote for candidates that will fix the VA and the services rather than gut them.
:angry smile:

Long background story...involving my cheapness...and medical types dismissing women...and science moves on...and my cheapness.

Skeleton:
In Army basic training, you stand in a gas chamber, remove your gas mask, talk, run out of the chamber. After that, I kept going on “sick call” and getting dx’d w/sinusitis and, occasionally, malingering. (Grrrr.). There were maybe 3-4 migraine headaches that were totally disabling but never for more than a day. I also developed ANOSMIA, which means I can’t smell shit...literally..or anything else for that matter, but that developed more slowly. I applied for VA disability benefits for another thing, but threw the sinus thing in as well. I was rated at 10%. About 30 yrs later, I went back (the cheapness) and said that the sinus thing was worse and now I can’t smell anything. VA said, “Well, but you aren’t having disabling headaches anymore, and there’s no connection between gas chambers and sinus issues, so we’re dropping you to 0%.”

A few weeks ago, I was telling MiniSue’s boyfriend about anosmia. I googled it and two of the first things to show up were claims from veterans who WERE granted a disability rating based on anosmia post-gas chamber and one of those vets had been treated/diagnosed a nearby VA clinic. So (cheapness), I decided I’d go to my local VA, get evaluated, ask for a second opinion from the “nearby” one and get my 10% reinstated. Oh, and make sure there’s still no way to fix this.

I went yesterday. Cute young doctor. He read my history, including the copies of my sick call records from 1973. He kept asking questions and with each of my honest answers, he became more animated. Because:

https://migrainepal.com/author/teixido/

The reason that my complaints of sinus headaches were not respected was that, on x-ray exam, my sinuses were fine and I was whining and/or malingering. And because I’m a girl.

Turns out that IF you have a headache with pressure in the sinus area, BUT you don’t have a history of green goobies and/or blood and/or a fever, you may be having a migraine.

We think that “a migraine” is only a killer headache. It isn’t. It seems that it’s a chemical thing for folks with a “sensitive brain.” So sensitive that while a sufferer can eat chocolate one day and be fine, and drink red wine the next day and be fine, if s/he consumes wine with dinner and has a chocolate dessert at the same meal, s/he can have a terrible reaction.

I go back next month for imaging...CAT scan and MRI of the brain. (MrSue said we’ll find out if one of the squirrels fell off the wheel.). (He can be obnoxious.)

Also...I again took the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Pennsylvania_Smell_Identification_Test
Last time, I got 13 right out of 40. Now I’m down to 11. And those were total random guesses. I couldn't smell even one. MrSue was nearby and thought some of the smells were overwhelming. Go figure.
My husband signed up for VA health care several years ago and goes for yearly visits with his primary and also sees an ophthalmologist a couple times a year due to developing cataracts. They checked his hearing, found it lacking. He said he worked near loud engines and they provided hearing aids without him even asking them too. They provide all batteries and other needed little maintenance pieces also. He gets eye tests there and his glasses. Spouses can get great deals on glasses also, but not the tests. Spouse Has to bring your script to them. We also get some RX from them with a 9.00 co-pay, such as his inhaler which would be much higher through his Medicare part D.

No service related disability of any type. Also, I've seen those OTC hearing aids and can't help but think they are relatives of the latest "Eat anything you want, don't exercise, and lose weight in your sleep." miracles. I worked with the testing/programming equipment that maintained the ubiquitous Black Boxes and computerized avionics. My machine was terrain following radar. I don't remember how loud it was. If anything, I'm more exposed to loud noise now that I have to shout every damned thing I say to DH. And I'm getting that old lady shrill screech that hurts even my own ears. Everything will work out in good time if I don't go crazy (crazier?) first.

Cool duty. Highly responsible.

My stuff all related to Basic Training:
•The gas chamber.
•Hiking around. Gas masks handy. (The big lie—>in a combat situation, your own personal gas mask would have your own vision Rx.)
Me: “I can’t see for shit.”
Drill sgt: “Follow the soldier in front of you.”
I did...except that SHE stepped over the hole in the ground. I missed that slight deviation from the path, twisted my ankle, fell, chip fracture in my foot.

I call that my Million Dollar Ankle. VA Education Benefits, Plastic Surgery, I could have used that status for enhanced Veteran’s preference for employment but it was never needed, and other stuff was probably available but I never felt the need to pursue it.

So...?....I’m sorry (?) you were not injured. (That sounds weird.)

(But now that I think about it...auditory fatigue and eventually hearing loss CAN, I think, result from sustained exposure to noise. Like telephone operators and radio dispatchers and other who wear headsets.)

Spiky Bugger Just to wander away from service related disability, yet still service related... The last duty for DH and me was as technical instructors on the above referenced FB-111A weapons delivery systems at the now decommissioned Lowry AFB. We drove out to see how much the base had changed. A lot. Really a lot. There are a few old buildings left, including the one that was our office and school. I was taking a few pictures when a security person drove into the parking lot. We had a nice chat and he asked me what had been across the street where now are only cement slabs. As we were chatting it hit me that DH has been retired for 40 years. I was discharged in 1978.

Latest posts

Back