A different rant about a friend

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Last year I mentioned my oldest friend who lives in Reno - we’ve known each other since we were 10. We visited with her and her husband last summer (July 2019), and 5 days later, her husband died.

Anna was a nurse and shortly after she retired (30 years with the VA) a few years ago, she developed rapidly progressing atypical Parkinson’s. When we were there, I was shocked how disabled she had become. But she and her husband (who was almost blind) were being cared for by a woman from our hometown who was unable to work a regular job due to MS, who was also a nurse.

After my friend’s husband passed, she ended up in the hospital and then rehab in January and February due to aspiration pneumonia. The atypical Parkinson’s affects her ability to swallow, even her own saliva.

When she got home, her sisters started to get concerned about what was going on at her house. The woman taking care of her wouldn’t let them them in the house if they just stopped by - they had to call ahead. The sisters investigated and found out the both the woman’s druggie daughter and her boyfriend were living there, which was being hidden from the sisters, and valuables were missing. My friend’s youngest sister convinced her that the caretaker and the others had to go, and they should buy a single level house together, since my friend’s split level with stairs everywhere was not safe for her anymore.

Slowly, they got the house emptied, fixed up and ready to sell. Early in November, my friend accepted an offer on the house.

The next day, she tripped over her own shoes after a nap, fell, and broke her hip. She had surgery to put in pins, and was transferred to a rehab facility. About 10 days later, she started running a fever and having difficulty breathing. She was transferred back to a hospital and put on a ventilator for a day.

It wasn’t Covid - it was a pulmonary embolism combined with aspiration pneumonia again, and there is no way to stop it. Her atypical Parkinson’s is a very aggressive type. The doctor put in an NG feeding tube, so she wouldn’t aspirate food, but it can’t stop the aspiration of her saliva, and therefore can’t cure the pneumonia. She developed another blood clot, this one in her arm, and she now basically can’t move.

She is a nurse. She knows where this is going. She made the decision to have the NG tube removed and went home with hospice care on Sunday.

Just weeks ago, she was taking kickboxing classes to maintain her strength and balance. She was not ready to give up.

I’m devastated for her. She did not deserve what she has been through for the past few years. Life isn’t always fair, and this sure isn’t.

I don’t deal with death-related stuff well. I don’t do funerals, because I sob uncontrollably and make a spectacle of myself, even if I am not really close with the deceased. I didn’t go back to VA when my mother was dying - I just couldn’t.

My friend’s sister kept trying to get me to call her, but I kept demurring, and asked her to convey my comments to my friend. Finally her sister said my friend wanted to talk to me.

Screwing up the courage to make that call was stupidly hard, but I did it. It was difficult to talk to her because of the effect of the Parkinson’s on her voice and speaking ability, and because I kept crying and trying (and failing) to not let it show, Her little sister (who’s 55) consoled me afterwards - she rightly said I would always be glad I made that call.

I have been crying multiple times a day over this. She’s still hanging on, but the end is coming soon - she’s not eating or drinking enough to stay alive, and she’s on scopolamine to dry her saliva - very little urine output. I keep talking with her sister by text, sharing stories and pix. She sent me one from a local newspaper story I’d never seen or don’t remember, that her mother (my “other mother” until she died at age 57 of breast cancer) had included in a memory scrapbook she kept. I think we were 13:

This was us in 2007 at my daughter’s first wedding (we were almost 54 - she’s 17 days older than me):

Please think good thoughts for her having a peaceful transition. If there is another plane of existence, I hope she and and her husband will be together again.

OMG. My heart breaks for you. I know how hard it is to lose a close friend. On July 17 2014. My best friend Audrey, called to wish me a happy birthday. The call was not unusual in truth I expected her call that day. She asked me what I was doing on my special day. My brother and I were driving to rehobath beach Delaware because I had never been. We talked about our plans to spend Thanksgiving together.

In hearing unfamiliar noise in the background I asked where she was she told me she was in a hospital in Harrisburg Pa. I was shocked since she lived in upstate New York. She was visiting another friend of ours and collapsed. She was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and had been there for 3 days.

My brother looked at me laughed and said I know change of plans we are going to Harrisburg. We called the hotel in Delaware and changed our reservation and headed to Harrisburg. Audrey cried when I walked into her room apologized profusely for ruining my birthday. I laughed and told her my present was seeing her. All of her test results came back and the doctors told her she had a cardiac arrhythmia and should follow up with a cardiologist when she returned home.

We laughed and talked about old times. I did not know that would be my last face to face visit with her. I thank God everyday that I went to see her that day. After her health scare we made it a point to check in with each other more often. November 12, 2014 we were trying to finalize our Thanksgiving menu.

I was at work on November 17 and received a call from our call center. It was an emergency call from my “sister“. I was confused because since my Mother was ill I always kept my cell phone with me and my sisters would never call my office. I told the operator i would accept the call and they patched it through. It was Audrey‘s cousin explaining Audrey had been rushed to the hospital but she did not survive. Her cellphone was locked and they did not know her code to get my number.

I will always cherish that day because my friend was touched I came to see her. I had a chance to share memories with her. I miss her everyday because although I was blessed with the sisters God and my Mother provided, Audrey was the sister I chose.

Trust me you will always cherish that call. As hard as that call was for you, your that friend knew you cared. I think it is much better to tell our loved ones directly how we feel then it is to say those words to others once they have passed. Everyday I feel the pain of my friends passing but I take comfort in her knowing that I cared.

i pray your friend has a peaceful transition. I pray that all those she loved and all that loved her find peace in knowing that her suffering has ceased. I pray you all find peace in knowing that loved ones pass but love never dies.

DianaCox I wish your friend a peaceful transition and I wish you comfort. I can only imagine your pain. I am so sorry.

MsVee thank you for sharing your story. It really puts things in perspective. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I want to hug you both.

DianaCox I'm so sorry! It's a terrible situation with no other resolution than the one that is coming. I'm so glad you found the courage to have that conversation with her. You will never regret that you made that effort.
MsVee your story is inspiring. I'll try to remember it as an example of what a true friend does in difficult times.

Having just ( and still) going through the loss of a dear friend, you're in my thoughts. I'm happy that you were able to talk to your dear friend. Enjoy those happy memories that will creep into your sobbing.

My friend was able to share her brother's final moments via today's technology. It was peaceful. I know that my tears are those of sadness and anger. If the stars and planets align, there will be a celebration of my friend's life this summer. I will go knowing full well that there will be lots of tears and laughs.

If the stars and planets align, there will be a celebration of my friend's life this summer. I will go knowing full well that there will be lots of tears and laughs.
I'm sorry for your loss. May the summer bring comfort. My heart goes out to all. These are heartbreaking times.

I have been thinking same thing, this year would have been a stinker even without Co-vid although many bad happenings are indirectly tied to it, or worsened for sure. Got word about an hour ago that my sweet little 95 year old great-aunt passed at 5:30 this morning. She had tested positive a few weeks back but seemed to recover and was back in her regular room at her facility. She’s the last sibling of my paternal grandmas family, 10 children. Aunt Joy was the youngest so she was within a year of being my Dads age so she has always been close to me. She’s in NW Missouri so I’m sure we won’t make the trip, if they have something.
We had a close friend pass last week after she turned 56 on November the 4th. She had severe COPD That also caused many other organ problems. Horrible death. Yep, not the greatest year, but I won’t forget it!

Thanks, Hilary, it’s been hard for everyone and I know we’ve all lost loved ones and friends. It’s so nice to have here to be able to say what we need to say!

I hope your dear Dad is holding his own.

I have been thinking same thing, this year would have been a stinker even without Co-vid although many bad happenings are indirectly tied to it, or worsened for sure. Got word about an hour ago that my sweet little 95 year old great-aunt passed at 5:30 this morning. She had tested positive a few weeks back but seemed to recover and was back in her regular room at her facility. She’s the last sibling of my paternal grandmas family, 10 children. Aunt Joy was the youngest so she was within a year of being my Dads age so she has always been close to me. She’s in NW Missouri so I’m sure we won’t make the trip, if they have something.
We had a close friend pass last week after she turned 56 on November the 4th. She had severe COPD That also caused many other organ problems. Horrible death. Yep, not the greatest year, but I won’t forget it!
I am so sorry for your loss!

Yes, January was the most normal month for me. DH had a hip replacement in February and it's been challenging ever since. He's doing great now so I am very grateful for that. Oh, how I wish the slate is actually wiped clean on January 1st, but I've made it and will continue to make it.

Latest posts

Back