I am heart broken

@DSRIGGS I talked to her last month and the doctor that had taken her care over told her she had to go elsewhere because he no longer wanted to be bothered. She had to see him every day. Omg they were going to remove her entire stomach
I am not sure what this is about @Charris. She didn't tell me about seeing a guy down in San Diego (has to be who you are referencing) because Dr K had her on TPN (she was up to Glendale the previous month getting PICC line in and testing) getting her ready for the revision to help her malnutrition. He wasn't touching her stomach as far as she had told me.

I do know that had part of her liver removed and had bile duct stones and procedure the previous year. She also had liver cancer if I recall correctly (She didn't talk much about it) and had an infection from a PICC line than nearly killed her last year. She also had terrible chronic pain from those things and suffered a lot.

Somebody just posted that she finally succumbed to cancer. She was so private about these things and didn't want to burden her family and friends so she hadn't told most people. She told me about 6 months ago but then didn't talk about it anymore and acted like everything was in remission.

So sad. I can't believe it. We just never know when it's our time. WITH me my near death experience it made me reevaluate the importance of things in my life.

So sad. I can't believe it. We just never know when it's our time. WITH me my near death experience it made me reevaluate the importance of things in my life.
no doubt hon. I did that five years ago when Cameron was diagnosed with cancer.....family first. Everything else is secondary.

When it is appropriate, I hope someone who is close enough to the family to get correct information can share whether she died from complications of the cancer or not, as opposed to complications of her DS. While I understand that Dr.K was going to lengthen her common channel suggests that she was malnourished because of her DS, it is important for those of us living with our DS, as well as preops who hear about her passing, to know whether the lengthening of her CC was because the cancer was preventing her from properly absorbing nutrients or meds, or due to primary issues involving her DS itself.

And my science/med side wants to know why this revision wasn't done a long time ago, since she was apparently struggling with keeping her weight in a safe range for a LONG time. I remember very early on in my DS education learning that doing a revision on someone who is losing too much weight (and is clearly NOT going to stop) should be done sooner rather than later, because there is a point of no return (or hard to return) where, once you get TOO thin, doing the surgery is no longer safe - e.g., you can't be safely put under, etc. Knowing when that line is crossed is not easy to determine, but our surgeons should know how to do it.

I know it is very common to hear vets say "don't worry, you won't lose too much weight, and even if you do, the bounceback will come, so DON'T let your surgeon talk you into a revision!" My point is, that is NOT always the right answer, and we all need to be aware of the difference between someone who is sliding to a BMI of 19 or so, but who is otherwise healthy and will bounce back, and someone who is sliding into the abyss, whether due to organic illness or a self-destructive fear of regain (e.g., anorexia) or both.

And even then, if the outcome is that the person SURVIVES but ends up with a BMI of 32 instead of 22, SO WHAT?!

When it is appropriate, I hope someone who is close enough to the family to get correct information can share whether she died from complications of the cancer or not, as opposed to complications of her DS. While I understand that Dr.K was going to lengthen her common channel suggests that she was malnourished because of her DS, it is important for those of us living with our DS, as well as preops who hear about her passing, to know whether the lengthening of her CC was because the cancer was preventing her from properly absorbing nutrients or meds, or due to primary issues involving her DS itself.

And my science/med side wants to know why this revision wasn't done a long time ago, since she was apparently struggling with keeping her weight in a safe range for a LONG time. I remember very early on in my DS education learning that doing a revision on someone who is losing too much weight (and is clearly NOT going to stop) should be done sooner rather than later, because there is a point of no return (or hard to return) where, once you get TOO thin, doing the surgery is no longer safe - e.g., you can't be safely put under, etc. Knowing when that line is crossed is not easy to determine, but our surgeons should know how to do it.

I know it is very common to hear vets say "don't worry, you won't lose too much weight, and even if you do, the bounceback will come, so DON'T let your surgeon talk you into a revision!" My point is, that is NOT always the right answer, and we all need to be aware of the difference between someone who is sliding to a BMI of 19 or so, but who is otherwise healthy and will bounce back, and someone who is sliding into the abyss, whether due to organic illness or a self-destructive fear of regain (e.g., anorexia) or both.

And even then, if the outcome is that the person SURVIVES but ends up with a BMI of 32 instead of 22, SO WHAT?!
Diana - You ask valid questions and I can tell you that I found out that it was was definitely cancer. She had been battling and she really didn't tell many people at all and with me she made it sound like her treatment was over and it was okay. I think that is why she didn't go for the revision sooner. She is the person who I mentioned a month or so ago who was getting revised. She was actually going to see Dr K to get a PICC line and TPN because she was not strong enough for surgery so she had been on TPN for a good month and she told me just a week ago that the surgery was for the end of the month.

The lengthening was scheduled due to battling her cancer.

Now that I look back I believe she knew she was going and just didn't want to burden people. I am overwhelmed with the number of posts I am seeing on FB tonight. The first 25 posts on my news feed are people posting their condolences to Lisa.

I wasn't close with her, but remember her well as she was always pleasant to interact with. This is very sad.

Now that I see her picture I remember her well. So sorry for her loss and all the struggles that preceded it.

Now that I see her picture I remember her well. So sorry for her loss and all the struggles that preceded it.
She really was a kind soul, Larra. She and I chatted a lot about our boys, football (she loved football), and different health stuff. I am missing her already and the number of people she touched was obviously large because there are tons of posts on facebook paying tribute to her.

I am extremely saddened to hear this. I interacted quite a bit with Lisa on PBs and we messaged each other often to compare notes on our low weights. Then she had the issue with her liver (if I remember right) which had the phrase 'non-alcoholic' in the name. Then I moved to this board and lost touch with her. She was always so positive, upbeat and fun to talk to. I ache for her son and family.

I am extremely saddened to hear this. I interacted quite a bit with Lisa on PBs and we messaged each other often to compare notes on our low weights. Then she had the issue with her liver (if I remember right) which had the phrase 'non-alcoholic' in the name. Then I moved to this board and lost touch with her. She was always so positive, upbeat and fun to talk to. I ache for her son and family.
Yeah I know Pam. We lost touch for a few months with some her health issues and mine. The liver, the billary duct stones and the cancer really took a huge toll on her but I thought she was getting better. I really thought she had beaten the cancer and that the revision was going to get her back to good health, so when i heard this today it hit me like a ton of bricks.

She was so close with her son who she called her Sonshine so I hope he is getting through this as best as one can. Those teen years are so tough on kids and losing your mom at a young age is just not fair.

So sorry to hear this, I remember her too. :( Scott, my condolences on the loss of a good friend, it's hard anytime, but harder when it's unexpected like this.

Very very sad! If I remember correct she had her revision with Dr. K before me in early 2013 and she had a revision from a band that was pretty complicated. She was at one time very close friends with girlrocker. That is the main reason she stayed on the other board.

Latest posts

Back