I’m such a bundle of joy!

holy smoke, I hope that doesn't happen often? that's terrible!
Happens ALL the time. Definitely more rule than exception. It's just the nature of my job and maybe my nature as well. In a normal week I put in 60 - 70 hours. But there are some days that run longer than others.

Well, I spent my morning yesterday on the phone with my cell phone service, which decided to upgrade their system in some way such that my cell phone (which I got only for emergency use but now is needed to call the vet from the parking lot with my pets) no longer worked. Of course, by the time they notified me of this, the phone already didn't work, so that was my phone session with them last week, but they did send me a new and improved phone for free. Only problem was that I had to deal with them again for the set up, which meant 2 calls with a total time of close to 2 hours. I hope the damn thing works now, I will try it out today.
On the subject of burial at the VA cemetery, I happen to know a lot about this because my father was a vet, and my parents opted for burial at a VA cemetery. In fact, my mom thought she had everything all set up. Well, she died first, and my dad had Alzheimer's by then, so it all fell to me (my brother was no help with this AT ALL). And somehow, even though I had all my dad's military info, serial number, dates of service, etc etc, the military couldn't find their records. And they won't schedule your funeral or burial until they are satisfied that the deceased is indeed eligible. Something about records being destroyed in a fire somewhere. Now, keep in mind that my father served in WW2 and a total of 20 years of service. His eligibility, and thus my mother's, was not a close call. Eventually, by magic, the military found whatever they needed and everything fell into place, but it caused several days delay and was very frustrating. So Spiky Bugger whatever you can do now to insure that you won't experience this, do it.
There was a huge fire at a military records repository in St. Louis, I didn't Google the year. This was when things weren't as computerized as they are now. Don't rely on my faulty memory, but I seem to recall the records were both paper and microfilm.

Yep, that was the fire in question, and I'm sure a lot of other families have experienced the same frustration that I had. But once they somehow found something to verify my Dad's veteran status, they were great.

Latest posts

Back