Home Delivered Meals/Meal Kits (“half-fast” review-ish)

Cooked the last one tonight. Chicken fajitas. Don't buy this one Spiky! So much slicing, dicing, and prep. Took forever to end up with 6 taco size fajitas. They should have just included salsa as a seasoning. Way too much work! And a sink full of dishes as well. This one was probably my least favorite. Jeff agrees with me and if we were going to do it over we would use steak instead of chicken. But we both liked the fresh jalapeno pepper so I learned that Jeff doesn't dislike spicy at all. He just doesn't like burning hot.

If I had to make this again, I would do all the slicing and dicing much earlier in the day and make the pico and the lime crema hours in advance. Give the flavor more time to develop.

So the experiment ends. We both enjoyed it and it was nice to try some different 'normal carb' meals. I will keep an eye out for some coupons and try another service down the road. Probably after the Holidays. Back to no carbs tomorrow!
Well, I hope you got your $11’s worth!

I canceled the HomeChef service but keep buying the meals at the store. What I save with that is the decisions and the shopping. They don’t save me time beyond that. I do find some of them inefficient in terms of how they are cooked but doing it differently means more dishes usually (simultaneous cooking) which doesn’t bother me usually I just feel like their recipes are written poorly.

tonight is chicken bordelaise sauce and asparagus with Parmesan potatoes.

I canceled the HomeChef service but keep buying the meals at the store. What I save with that is the decisions and the shopping. They don’t save me time beyond that. I do find some of them inefficient in terms of how they are cooked but doing it differently means more dishes usually (simultaneous cooking) which doesn’t bother me usually I just feel like their recipes are written poorly.

tonight is chicken bordelaise sauce and asparagus with Parmesan potatoes.

We got a discount on our Home for the Perpetually Bewildered rent in exchange for providing our own meals. I have to go for Low FODMAP meals, which are impossible to get anywhere except two companies…
Epicured.com and Modifyhealth.com

But MrSue really likes the HomeChef, which we used to get delivered, but that was before I figured out that Low FODMAP really cured my issues.

I’ve been buying the Factor_ meals. They are precooked and you just reheat and it’s fantastic. I buy them for lunches at work. It saves me money and I’m not making bad choices. I also just got blood work done and my protein levels have definitely increased and I attribute that to the meals.

I’m fortunate that I can throw money at problems at this point.

I’ve been buying the Factor_ meals. They are precooked and you just reheat and it’s fantastic. I buy them for lunches at work. It saves me money and I’m not making bad choices. I also just got blood work done and my protein levels have definitely increased and I attribute that to the meals.

I’m fortunate that I can throw money at problems at this point.

Great! I think I liked Factor, too. But the “okay” low FODMAP meals cost the same as Factor; the good ones are AT LEAST twice as much. Still…it’s better than feeling lousy all the time.

We discovered that Schwan’s delivered to the house across the street so a couple of months ago, I wondered over to it and yes, I could purchase right then and there. So I did. We’ve done that a few times now. Told Charles we might want to go ahead and sign up. They have a decent selection that we like. And everything we’ve had so far has been very good. You do have to pick thru what’s there. But since it’s already being delivered into this neighborhood, why the hell not.

We discovered that Schwan’s delivered to the house across the street so a couple of months ago, I wondered over to it and yes, I could purchase right then and there. So I did. We’ve done that a few times now. Told Charles we might want to go ahead and sign up. They have a decent selection that we like. And everything we’ve had so far has been very good. You do have to pick thru what’s there. But since it’s already being delivered into this neighborhood, why the hell not.

We liked Schwan’s, too…except…all that “free delivery” stuff did not apply in my zip code.

Latest posts

Back