Today we visit the Home for the Bewildered!

Spiky Bugger

We are looking at a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), a place where old folks move before they need Assisted Living (AL) or Nursing Home/Skilled Nursing (SNF) accommodations.

First, you bring a truckload of money, move in to the Independent Living (IL) unit…which can be a free standing house, a little cottage, a duplex, a triplex, or an apartment…and pay a not-cheap monthly fee…which includes rent, utilities, some meals in their dining room—you can buy more if you desire or go out, get delivered meals, or cook at home—bi-weekly housekeeping, annual deep cleaning, access to pool/fitness center/social activities/transportation to local shopping, all that kind of stuff.

As your needs increase, through age or infirmity or a combo, more help can be sent to you in your unit, or you can move to an AL or SNF unit if that is a better fit. IF you run out of money paying for all that help, that’s okay because that truckload of money you brought with you covers it all and you don’t have to leave.

We are looking into this because back In November, his hip went out and I broke my spine’s T-12, we couldn’t help each other and we realized that EVERYTHING here— doorways, light switches, electrical outlets, showers, exterior ramps for access to the house, counter heights, cooking facilities—would need to be remodeled for us to “age in place,” especially if we both had problems at the same time. Doing all that would probably cost less than that truckload of money, but then we’d likely STILL need human-type help at some time.

Importantly, by entering into a CCRC, MiniSue will be relieved of the stuff that my sister and I had to deal with fifteen years ago for our mother and, as we have seen here recently, DianaCox and hilary1617 while loving, caring for and caring about their parents, suddenly having to scramble and find ways to meet changing needs. It can be exhausting.

So, off we go…bravely (?) peeking at the future and wondering how to figure out how to time it all.

This sounds like the place my father stayed. The only difference is you had to buy a place and then you "stepped up" to other care as your needs required.

My daddy was in one of those. He had his own apartment til he had his stroke, then they moved him into Skilled Nursing. He wasn’t happy at all there.

Sounds like an interesting (but expensive option). Please let us know what you learn!

My daddy was in one of those. He had his own apartment til he had his stroke, then they moved him into Skilled Nursing. He wasn’t happy at all there.

Is anybody EVER happy being moved to ANY SNF?

I’m pretty sure that the SNF that might make me happy hasn’t been built yet. My mom did not make it ONE NIGHT in the one she went to. We found her a Board & Care place with about eight “inmates.”

seems brave to me: and smart.

so, you went already? what did you think? I hope you got a meal while you were there.

They GENERALLY offer a meal on tours, but during COVID-19 they are not allowing visitors in their dining room. They are very proactive on that issue: 98% of residents and 99% of staff are vaccinated and their last positive case of COVID there was a year ago today. (Population is 355 residents, plus a BUNCH of staff.)

It was very nice. And very expensive. We could manage it, though, because where we live now is very expensive. But DianaCox happened to mention that the VA now offers all kinds of at home care and that would save us, I dunno, at least a few hundred thousand dollars. You know, chump change. (California numbers are higher than on the rest of the planet. It isn’t as impressive as it sounds.)

But it’s not a now-or-never thing. Well, it isn’t, except that one day either of us could, for example, stroke out and not be eligible to move in, because there you have to be able to live in Independent Living upon move-in. So we’d have to recover enough that we COULD live independently.

Anyway, there were only two currently available 2BD 2BA units and we weren’t in love with either, one because of floor plan, one because of location. So we aren’t making any big changes right now.

Is anybody EVER happy being moved to ANY SNF?

I’m pretty sure that the SNF that might make me happy hasn’t been built yet. My mom did not make it ONE NIGHT in the one she went to. We found her a Board & Care place with about eight “inmates.”
His biggest problem was he wasn’t able to have Rose, his dog, with him there. He could in his apartment. And he hated losing his independence. Even in his apartment he had his independence and that made a big difference to him.

Well, it isn’t, except that one day either of us could, for example, stroke out and not be eligible to move in, because there you have to be able to live in Independent Living upon move-in.

that's the thing - if only we knew what was going to happen and, especially, when. it would sure be easier to plan.

I'm glad they are doing so well with their vaccinations.

For what it's worth, based on our experience with three different SNF's for my dad and our family health outlook, we're planning on making our entire home wheelchair accessible and adding a MIL apartment once Hannah heads off to college. The apartment will be for my mom in the nearer term, then will later serve as a housing space for a live-in private caregiver for Charles and myself (or we can move in there if one of our kids chooses to look after us).

For what it's worth, based on our experience with three different SNF's for my dad and our family health outlook, we're planning on making our entire home wheelchair accessible and adding a MIL apartment once Hannah heads off to college. The apartment will be for my mom in the nearer term, then will later serve as a housing space for a live-in private caregiver for Charles and myself (or we can move in there if one of our kids chooses to look after us).
Yes, I‘ve also had (but postponed due to Omicron) an appointment with an architect. If we decide to stay here a bit longer, I have some barricades that need removal. First World Problem: Too Many Options!

Yes, I‘ve also had (but postponed due to Omicron) an appointment with an architect. If we decide to stay here a bit longer, I have some barricades that need removal. First World Problem: Too Many Options!
No such thing as too many options! ;) I'm a fan of barricades, myself. Good fences make for good neighbors.

Latest posts

Back