Home Delivered Meals/Meal Kits (“half-fast” review-ish)

I can't imagine ever getting tired of potatoes.
Depends on how they’re cooked. Roasted doesn’t last long for me, I get tired of them very quickly, hubby adores them. Salted, I love. Hassleback, I don’t get tired of before I finish what I cooked. Mashed, so-so. Smashed, same as Hassleback.

Because I got a great coupon I put in an order with EveryPlate.com. 8 meals for $10. Can't beat that with a stick. They are supposed to arrive on Wednesday the 27th. The meals looked OK and it was easy to make my choices. I am thinking the meals will be very small even for a DSer and light on protein. But we shall see on Wednesday. Something new to try.

I didn't think they were going to arrive because I never got a tracking number. But they did. Delivered by Fedex. The veggies were cool and the meat was sandwiched between 2 freezer packs and very cold so they did a good job. Haven't tried them yet but soon. Maybe today. The freezer packs were a bonus because I use them with an insulated bag all summer long for grocery shopping.

Update. After a discussion with Jeff we are trying the crispy caesar chicken tonight. We have decided to cook the meals together so we both know what it's all about.

Last edited:
I didn't think they were going to arrive because I never got a tracking number. But they did. Delivered by Fedex. The veggies were cool and the meat was sandwiched between 2 freezer packs and very cold so they did a good job. Haven't tried them yet but soon. Maybe today. The freezer packs were a bonus because I use them with an insulated bag all summer long for grocery shopping.

Update. After a discussion with Jeff we are trying the crispy caesar chicken tonight. We have decided to cook the meals together so we both know what it's all about.
We were GOING to do that same chicken tonight, but…
MiniSue, who works from her office here, is having an unpleasant cold;
We didn’t know what time our Everyplate delivery would arrive;
I‘m a mommy and had a sick “child” and some Hello Kitty pasta;
We found some chicken thighs AND remembered we own a pressure cooker…so,
We made chicken soup for MiniSue and to have as a back-up for dinner.

AND THEN…his hip/back started hurting a lot;
My back was already hurting;
I got a KILLER nosebleed (did this once before about 20 years ago, needed cauterization that time);
Everyplate got delivered as I was applying pressure and trying to NOT swallow blood;
So then, F-CK IT!
We are having soup for dinner tonight, dammit!
Bleeding seems to have stopped.
Lemme know how the chicken thing tasted.

...... Can't beat that with a stick. .....

OT...

My wife uses this phrase... never made any sense to me... as near as I can make out it denotes a positive feeling... seeing it in print gives me hope.., I'd rather be the one that goes bonkers first;)

OT...

My wife uses this phrase... never made any sense to me... as near as I can make out it denotes a positive feeling... seeing it in print gives me hope.., I'd rather be the one that goes bonkers first;)
I have lived everywhere so no idea where I picked it up. But I bet it is one of those strange phrases that has it's origin in one area.

I wonder why cause that sounds good.

It did SOUND good. But there were low FODMAP ”ingredient issues.”

The ingredient work arounds are my problem, but the pork chops, while tasty, were a bit tough as well.

I use tamari, a substitute for soy sauce; I would have had to make an “adapted” ponzu sauce, so I used ponzu only on what he was going to eat; he was a good sport and tried, but neither of us cared for the sesame seeds on the carrots; we can both use the scallion greens, but I can’t use actual scallion whites or garlic. So when the recipe says saute the onion whites and or garlic in olive oil, I just have to use garlic- or scallion-infused olive oil in the recipe.

(In colloquial talk, the juice just wasn’t worth the squeeze.)

I would have left off the carrot. And the sesame seeds. What in the hell is Ponzu sauce? The Jasmine rice, I would have used what I have had on hand, converted long grain.

Looks like thin cut pork chops. I typically buy thick cut , cut them in half that way. But other than that….

And yet another consideration. Pots and pans used to create these dishes VS what you would normally cook. I am a good cook but a lazy one. And I hate cleanup.

Latest posts

Back