Heading into surgery on 5/25/21

Wow. It’s interesting to see another long term DSer going to shakes.

I hope mine is short-term. Just till I get out of whatever headspace I’m in. Is yours long-term or just for the 2 weeks?

BTW, I like to cook. :)

Mine is not an actual going to protein shakes thing. It’s just one of the choices on one of the suggestions lists.

Delicious Low FODMAP Living!
    Menu and snack ideas on the low FODMAP diet.
    Always check ingredient labels as manufacturers may alter ingredients.

Low FODMAP Breakfasts:

• Fruit ‘n Nut Oatmeal: Cook ½ cup oatmeal (start with ¼ cup dry oats),
    top with strawberries and blueberries (about 1/2 cup total) and 1
    tablespoon chopped walnuts.
    • Veggie Egg Omelet: Fill omelet with baby spinach, diced red bell
    pepper and shredded cheddar cheese. Enjoy with an orange.
    • Peanut Butter Banana Toast: Toast Udi’s™ white gluten free bread and
    spread with 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter. Top with ½ sliced
    banana and sprinkle of chia seeds.
    • Cold Cereal: Pour lactose free milk over Erewhon™ Crispy Brown Rice
    (gluten free), Environkidz™ Gorilla Munch™ or Environkids™ Panda Puffs
    cereal. Top with ½ sliced banana and 1 tablespoon hulled pumpkin
    seeds.
    • Banana Walnut Pancakes: Prepare Namaste™ Waffle and Pancake
    mix or Bisquick™ Gluten Free Pancake and Baking mix with low
    FODMAP ingredients and add ½ mashed ripe banana, 1 tablespoon
    chopped walnuts, a dash of cinnamon, and cook as directed. Garnish
    with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, if desired.
    • Yogurt Parfait: Top lactose free yogurt (such as Green Valley™) with ¼
    cup Bear Naked™ Vanilla Almond granola and ½ cup strawberries.
    • Smashing Smoothie: Blend together ½ cup frozen blueberries, 4 ounces
    plain Chobani™ Greek yogurt (or substitute lactose free yogurt), 1
    teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 ice cubes and 1-2 teaspoons chia seeds.
    • Vanilla French Toast: Blend 1-2 eggs with ¼ cup lactose free milk, 1
    teaspoon vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon. Using gluten free or
    sourdough bread, dip in mixture and brown up in non-stick skillet.
    Drizzle with pure maple syrup and/or a sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar.
    Top with ½ cup fresh sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon sliced
    almonds.
    part of a program for those—15% of the population—who suffer from IBS, IBD, Type II Diabetes, NASH, etc. About 75% of people who try this program experience at least SOME relief.

This is part of a program for those—15% of the population—who suffer from IBS, IBD, Type II Diabetes, NASH, etc. About 75% of people who try this program experience at least SOME relief.

SO, for two weeks, it‘s a no-to-low FODMAP diet, then we begin reintroducing food from each TYPE of FODMAP to find what triggers symptoms, in order to learn what foods we can/cannot consume.

Well I have good news and bad news:

Good: boot on. Cast off. Plus a different boot for night (eventually as it’s too painful to sleep in right now)now for a few hours a day to stretch things. Get to begin PT to let them move it.

Bad: Apparently somehow I didn’t knew this was 12 weeks without weight bearing not 8. He’ll see me in 3 (at 9 weeks postop ) but no one is counting on that. So I have 6 more weeks no weight bearing. Looks like I need to contact LTD as STD will be up in early August.

I need to work through this again. I think I was so set on 8 weeks and then getting to put some weight on it and doing more on my own that this has thrown me for a loop.:confused:

Last edited:
Well I have good news and bad news:

Good: boot on. Cast off. Plus a different boot for night (eventually as it’s too painful to sleep in right now)now for a few hours a day to stretch things. Get to begin PT to let them move it.

Bad: Apparently somehow I didn’t knew this was 12 weeks without weight bearing not 8. He’ll see me in 3 (at 9 weeks postop ) but no one is counting on that. So I have 6 more weeks no weight bearing. Looks like I need to contact LTD as STD will be up in early August.

I need to work through this again. I think I was so set on 8 weeks and then getting to put some weight on it and doing more on my own that this has thrown me for a loop.:confused:

This sounds really tough. I hope the remainder of non-weight-bearing time flies by and that you manage to get some sleep.

Apparently somehow I didn’t knew this was 12 weeks without weight bearing not 8. He’ll see me in 3 (at 9 weeks postop ) but no one is counting on that. So I have 6 more weeks no weight bearing. Looks like I need to contact LTD as STD will be up in early August.

I'm sorry. :5grouphug:

Thanks so much. You all really make me feel better.

I’m better now, though not sleeping. I found a couple of Facebook groups with similar injuries and see I’m pretty much on target. It makes me feel better I guess that I can see the progression of others and we can commiserate. :D

That’s a long hard sentence to withstand. I’d be extremely bummed out upon finding it was longer than I thought! I’m glad you seem to be on course though. Hope you can get your Ltd and “std” taken care of.

Not sure why my laughing face next to “std” didn’t post. Story of my life, I try to make a funny and I mess up the punch line. I should just stop!

I found a couple of Facebook groups with similar injuries and see I’m pretty much on target. It makes me feel better I guess that I can see the progression of others and we can commiserate.

isn't that true? on a general forum where I hang out, whenever someone says they have some new health issue (A-fib! diabetes!) I also say, have you looked for a place specific to your issue so you can talk to others with the same thing?

the more people with the same thing you can talk to, the better! or maybe I should say the wider variety of people with the same thing.

Sorry it is taking longer than you expected, but happy your progress is on target.

isn't that true? on a general forum where I hang out, whenever someone says they have some new health issue (A-fib! diabetes!) I also say, have you looked for a place specific to your issue so you can talk to others with the same thing?

the more people with the same thing you can talk to, the better! or maybe I should say the wider variety of people with the same thing.
It was hard for me to believe but almost all have had a similar surgery and hardware inside. I’m finding it very helpful.

You are so right. It’s kind of like this forum. All different stages of the DS.

Last edited:
Also, they are letting me begin PT. It’ll just be the therapist manipulating it as I can’t walk but I’m very excited. Anything to begin my journey.

I’m also giving myself a tentative return to work of 8/25/21. From what I’ve read 4 mos is just about average. I need that date in my head.

Latest posts

Back