Eye-yey-eye

DianaCox

Bad Cop
OK, I am getting annoyed. I had minor eye surgery a few weeks ago on my left eye to remove a nodule from my cornea - it has healed pretty well (though I can still just barely see the roughness on my cornea where it was peeled off in the magnifying mirror), and then about 10 days ago, I started noticing the biggest blackest floater in my right eye - it looks like a tangle of thick black thread. Most of the time it's mostly out of my visual field, but for the last couple of days, it floated just to the right of my straight ahead vision. I keep jerking my head, thinking something is coming at me.

I've had multiple rounds of laser zaps to tack-weld my retina to the back of my eyes, because I had holes in my lattice and small horseshoe retinal tears in my 30s and 40s. Because of this proactive/preventive treatment, the floater should NOT be from a retinal tear. I've also had both of my posterior vitreous detachments years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment), a normal but sometimes annoying process that happens as you get older, so it shouldn't be from that either. Crap.

Anyone with any eye experience (which I would normally call myself) who disagrees that I just need to wait this out? Anyone had YAG laser treatment of floaters?

When my husband had his PVD in his right eye, about 2 years after having Lasik surgery that gave him 20:15 vision, he ended up with a torn retina and a small hemorrhage in his eye, resulting in a smudge in his visual field. He was told it would probably go away, or he'd "learn to ignore it" - neither has happened, and it really disturbs his vision and gives him headaches. I wonder if BOTH of us need to get YAGged?

OK, now I did some more reading (through the squiggles of black thread):

Apparently, insurance doesn't pay for this - and there are very few surgeons who do it as the major part of their practice. There are three in the US, and one is in Irvine CA. (Does this sound familiar? Like finding a DS surgeon 10 years ago?) If my husband is a candidate for this, he should be able to get it done, even in view of the piddly payment insurance will give, if any - and besides, it will still fall under our out-of-network deductible. In reading the guys website (http://vitreousfloatersolutions.com/), my situation is too new to consider treating it yet, until I've given it a chance to resolve.

This damned thing looks like there is a big black spider moving in front of my face, just to the right of my eye. I'm going to hurt myself jumping away from it!

I'd answer...except I have zero info and for the last week, with weather changes, my left eye (multiple procedures) starts to go south and everything gets blurry and I have a headache.

Temp solution is setting the air conditioner to 67° taking the equivalent of the old Pseudofed tablets and using an old pair of glasses.

There are some extended stay places (some nice, some kind of tacky) near Irvine and a few handy gas stations on I-5 as you travel to and from the other side of the state. You might want to save the receipts...taxes and such.

No clue here but I have had floaters for years. http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/benign-eye-floaters Being over 50, and extremely near sighted have not helped. But then all mine are small and easily ignored 99% of the time.
It's important to see a doctor if:
  • Eye floaters seem to worsen over time, especially if the changes are sudden in onset.
  • You experience flashes of light or any vision loss accompanied by eye floaters.
  • You develop eye floaters after eye surgery or eye trauma.
  • You have eye pain along with eye floaters.
Since you JUST had eye "trauma", that could have caused it...and yours developed quickly.

I'd think it was a complication, iatrogenic in nature, of your recent eye surgery and resulting trauma. Thus, it should be covered by your insurance. But for your previous eye surgery, you'd not have this problem.

I'd think it was a complication, iatrogenic in nature, of your recent eye surgery and resulting trauma. Thus, it should be covered by your insurance. But for your previous eye surgery, you'd not have this problem.
When I'm accused of murder..it's bound to happen sooner or later...I need you to be my defense attorney.

When I'm accused of murder..it's bound to happen sooner or later...I need you to be my defense attorney.

I watch Judge Judy. That tiny little ball of fire is my hero. I never miss an episode. But I'll probably be serving 50 to Life when they find all the bodies of people who've pissed me off that I've buried in my back yard. So I won't be able to help you out of your murder charge, regrettably. You know I would if I could, though, Sue.

I spent some time on the phone - over an hour, actually - with Carefirst of VA trying to figure out whether the floater doc was covered (really, thinking more of getting Charles' eye fixed) - we got nowhere. Is it medical eye issue or vision eye issue? Vision for sure won't cover it. And my vision coverage out of VA is USELESS in CA anyway - there are no providers. And besides, this is vitreous laser surgery.

But in any case we each have a $2000 deductible for out-of-network coverage, and the Irvine floater doc's fee is just under $2000 for two visits. I have to go to San Diego in June for a conference, and Charles already said he would go with - maybe we'll drive down, stop in Irvine for a couple of days, go to the conference, and see if he needs any follow up treatments on the way back. For the price of 1.5 crowns (that I just got six of), he could get his unblurred vision back.

Meanwhile, I messaged my retinal doc this morning "just in case" I'm not being careful enough, and they called just before 4 PM and wanted me to come in ASAP. No, I don't think so - this has been going on for almost 2 weeks, no flashes of light, and it's frickin' rush hour (and a 20 mile drive to PAMF); plus they would dilate the eye and then I'd be driving home one-eyed in the dark. So I'm going in on Monday.

@Sheanie: good try - but the minor surgery was on my OTHER eye. :Coopwink:

Well that was craptastic. Apparently, posterior vitreous detachment isn't always a one-step process. I had them in both eyes years ago, so I thought I was done - apparently not. I had a further PVD, with a very large mass of floaters that are in my field of vision - and as a bonus, a hemorrhage which is fortunately OUT of my field of vision. I have to go back in 4-6 weeks (which should be right about when I'm flying to VA for my next visit) for another dilation and look-see. And I have to watch out for any sudden problems (well, I always do) that might indicate another retinal tear, because apparently, this detachment was anterior to my "spot-welds" (this is general information for everyone, because eventually, you will get PVDs too):

Complications[edit]
The risk of retinal detachment is greatest in the first 6 weeks following a vitreous detachment, but can occur over 3 months after the event.

The risk of retinal tears and detachment associated with vitreous detachment is higher in patients with myopic retinal degeneration, lattice degeneration, and a familial or personal history of previous retinal tears/detachment.

I have all three (or even four) of the above: myopic retinal degeneration, lattice degeneration, personal history of previous retinal tears, and my father had a complete retinal detachment.

From another document:
Vitreous hemorrhage can be the presenting sign of PVD or it may present during the evolution of the PVD. Approximately 80% of patients who have no breaks on presentation, but then develop breaks later, have at least one of the following characteristics: pigmented cells or hemorrhage in the vitreous or retina at the initial evaluation, or new symptoms that prompted a return visit to the ophthalmologist.9 Sixty-seven percent of patients who present with associated vitreous hemorrhage were found to have at least one break, with 31% having more than one break and 88% of the breaks occurring in the superior quadrants.74

I think my risks are somewhat lower, because I have about 700 spot-welds already - but the retinal doc said something about a risk of tears anterior (is that the same as superior?) to the spot-welds.

I also have early cataracts. The "good" thing about that is eventually I will get new lenses that fix my nearsightedness. :)

I am not happy with the thought of possibly losing my vision ... it may not happen, but it is more likely than average. I hope they can give me a robotic eye by then.

it's better to know, and do what you can. try not to assume the worst! (easy to say, I always assume the worst)

Ideally, this fixes itself - the blood from the hemorrhage is resorbed, and the floaters settle down to the bottom of my eye. So I don't want to have to get anything fixed.

One thing to note from this - and which pertains to many of us who have some modicum of medical knowledge. Look at what I wrote above:

I've had multiple rounds of laser zaps to tack-weld my retina to the back of my eyes, because I had holes in my lattice and small horseshoe retinal tears in my 30s and 40s. Because of this proactive/preventive treatment, the floater should NOT be from a retinal tear. I've also had both of my posterior vitreous detachments years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment), a normal but sometimes annoying process that happens as you get older, so it shouldn't be from that either. Crap.

So, I didn't go to the doctor right away, because I "knew" it wasn't what it in fact was. Now it turns out that going earlier probably wouldn't have made any difference (unless there was still bleeding at the time that could have been zapped), but if it HAD also been another retinal tear, that could have needed fixing right away, and there is no way to distinguish symptoms that do and don't involve a retinal tear (except a full tear that results in blindness, of course) without a dilated slit-lamp examination.

So, a moral of the story is, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, both from the possibility of over- AND under-self-diagnosis.

@DianaCox I wanna play the Screwed Up Eye Game, too!

Started with about a -5 diopter correction in each eye. At age 50, got stupid and opted for radial keratotomy, LASIK's precursor. Did left eye, it over corrected to +3. So then I had one nearsighted eye and one farsighted eye. Then anyway, no glasses for that problem. I was told that the brain cannot handle two such opposite eyeglass Rxs.

So...LASIK on the right eye. Bring THAT vision to 20/20 and no correction in the glasses. Just correct the -3 left eye with an Rx for a while. THEN, because the left eye acuity kept floating around, we dud LASIK on it and got it close to 20/30...but it still floated.

Twelve years later, my ophthalmologist decided I had enough of the beginning of cataracts that, in the left eye--which was screwed up before cataracts-- that I could have cataract surgery and replace the lens. I did, and regained depth perception which had been lost for 12 years. I could again thread a needle and going downstairs was no longer terrorizing.

But lately, I have had...I think...allergies, which set off migraine type headaches in the left eye. Went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. I have developed a pseudo-something...a membrane that has decided to grow near/around the cataract surgery site. That makes the left eye currently correctable only to 20/50, and that will keep getting worse over time.

So...I have to go get THAT blasted off.

Old age doesn't improve things, either.

Your crap is far more serious, but mine is part of the eye-yey-eye program.

@Spiky Bugger - Uh, no - so far, no invasive procedures on my eyes, so you "win."

I'm "lucky" in one way - because of my retinal problems, my retinologist consistently strongly recommended against me ever getting PRK or Lasik, though I really wanted it. That would complicate my current situation.

Latest posts

Back