Miss me? (Why not?)

Spiky Bugger

I’m still recovering from my bout with 4th cranial nerve palsy. HUGE improvement, but…my vision is still weird, making me seasick from time to time. Doctor said, “See you in three months.” It’s been six weeks, so I’m almost halfway there. Not seeing well means difficulty balancing, walking, etc. So the PT dude is here twice a week for a while. Not just for walking and balance but he knows eye exercises, too. That’s good.

Then my house is lopsided. Interviewed lots of contractors. The strangest was the guy who…pay attention here…repairs foundations of houses, houses on RAISED foundations, with a crawlspace…but who wanted $250 so he could pay a guy to crawl under the house. “Why?” you ask? Oh. Because he’s claustrophobic and doesn’t feel comfortable in enclosed spaces…like under houses. So, guess who DIDN’T get the job!

The place that DID get the job will start next Friday. My walls will probably crack. Tile, even my new tile, may go south. All this because it needs to be raised about an inch, And it will cost thousands and not add, visually, to the value of the house.

And the pool. The ugly, way too big and even WAY-ER too deep pool, still has its original 1959 plaster, which is coming off. We HAVE TO do something. We decided that in addition to new plaster, we want the entire pool to be 3.5‘-4’ deep. Right now, it has only a few feet that are that shallow and it drops right down to 9.5’-10’ deep. Hard to walk in water that deep. One bid is for $21k and another is for $54k. Maybe I’m not communicating well?

Finally, my poor sister. She’s not doing well with widowhood…or the 21st Century. She FINALLY got set up with a video appt w/a psychologist. (I have to help her with her first video appt.). It’s next week. But today, she went to an in person visit, with a different, out-of-network shrink, $200, and thinks maybe she can do this in 2-3 visits. OR at the same time she’s “seeing” the video shrink. She confuses me. But she’s an adult, so I can’t make her do it my way.

My eyes are done now. They hate this.

I hope you are ALL doing as well as possible during these difficult times.

So the contractor works in a job where he’s claustrophobic and wants you to pay for his comfort? Don’t blame you for finding someone else.

Sounds like your house is a money pit too.

I am sorry about your cranial nerve, that sounds horrid.

So the contractor works in a job where he’s claustrophobic and wants you to pay for his comfort? Don’t blame you for finding someone else.

Sounds like your house is a money pit too.

I am sorry about your cranial nerve, that sounds horrid.

Makes me yearn for the days of…

So the PT dude is here twice a week for a while. Not just for walking and balance but he knows eye exercises, too. That’s good.
I'm so glad you got a good one and I know you will do your homework (exercises!) because poor balance is really scary. but you know all that.

sorry about the money pit thing, too.

difficult times, indeed. winter (where I live now) just ended about 2 minutes ago and already dreading fire and smoke season.

I feel like the dystopia has started and there is no going back. really dreading the next presidential election. :confused:

:5grouphug: group hug for everybody!!

Sorry you are going through all this. And your sister, too! And you have tried so hard to help her, but some folks just aren't amenable to help. Let's hope a therapist or two will have some impact. Meanwhile, do your exercises, try not to stress over your money pit, and get well!

I'm sorry. :( Hope you see and feel better soon.

For the pool, maybe replaster, but keep the depth, but get floaties for arms and kick instead of walking? That said, I'd love a deep pool, so it's hard to imagine a desire to make one more shallow. Wish they had house and pool Botox.

Hope your sister gets the right help for as long as needed. Grieving is such a personal experience and we all do it in different ways.

Hang in there! There's a rainbow around the corner.

For the pool, maybe replaster, but keep the depth, but get floaties for arms and kick instead of walking? That said, I'd love a deep pool, so it's hard to imagine a desire to make one more shallow. Wish they had house and pool Botox.

Hope your sister gets the right help for as long as needed. Grieving is such a personal experience and we all do it in different ways.

Plaster for sure. But also, more shallow! We will, of course, have to post No Diving! signs for the people who aren’t supposed to be back there…lol.

It can be used for walking and volleyball. But MiniSue, who lettered in Swimming in HS & was on college team (when the schedule allowed) said it would work for her…and her stroke is Butterfly! Her problem is that both before and after, the pool isn’t long enough. Changing the footprint triggers new property taxes, so, too bad for her.

In theory, a flip turn CAN be done in 3.5‘ - 4.0’ of water. But it will never be as entertaining as her FIRST post-reduction mammoplasty flip turn. At age +/-27, she went from a 36J to a 36C. She called laughing and said, “NOW, I know why they wanted us to do flip turns. It didn’t do much for me with my original boobs. But today, I got to the wall, used the flip turn technique and about drilled my ass through the bottom of the 8-10’ deep pool! That never happened with my built-in flotation devices!”

Sorry, Hil. We’ll end up with a kind of wide lap pool.

oh…and I think they want the ”softened” walking impact for anti-osteoporosis for both of us.

Latest posts

Back