Our yard’s trying to kill us

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, not really but years of neglect leading to an overgrowth of vines, English ivy, poison ivy, and various other plants, it’s getting the better of us.

When Charles and I got married I was the only one allergic to poison ivy. I’ve been that way all my life. About 7 years ago, the dogs managed to give me a very bad case cause they got in it and rubbed up against my ankles. Three weeks later, I was ready to claw my skin off. I had tried literally every trick in the book to relieve the itch and dry it up. But it kept spreading. A trip to urgent care got me a steroid shot, steroid pills, and finally relief.

Well, this year, apparently Charles has developed an allergy to poison ivy and not a mild reaction either. He jumped to needing a steroid treatment last week. I told him he needed a hazmat suit. In lieu of that, we both strip in the basement after finishing up in the yard, head upstairs and shower right away. He’s learning it means “right now”, not in 30 mins.

So late last week, we happened across one of the landscapers who work in this subdivision, a father/son team. They came by today to see the scope of work and give us an estimate. They will clean out the worse of the mess so once cleaned up, we can go from there.

But we have done quite a bit ourselves. The concrete wall next to the road that was covered in English ivy is no longer covered. I told the guy if I cou go back in time to slap whoever planted the ivy, I would have. He said, too bad, he’s passed away. While English ivy is pretty, it’s extremely invasive and should be banned from being sold.

I agree. Ivy, poison or otherwise is awful. Can’t even tell you how many bushels of that stuff I have pulled over the years. Every place has it’s own challenges. For me it’s moving rocks. It seems to never end. So I get it!

At least with English Ivy, I can pull it without fear of breaking out in a terrible rash. There have been runners, it’s taken both of us to pull loose. The stuff on the house and trees, we are killing the bottoms to get the rest dead. While a vine covered house is “pretty”, it does real damage on mortar. And it can kill trees.

On the upside, I found two Clematis vines, one white, one purple. They will need transplanting as where they are located they will damage the a/c. So I want to move them to the front to climb the lamppost. We also discovered an azalea hiding behind an oak tree. The oak tree is about 2 inches from the house so it’s being removed. That will give the azaleas breathing and growing space.

And I have a boatload of hostas, huge ones.

Last edited:
My BFF loved hostas.

We (meaning HE) trimmed some lantana over a week ago. I’m still treating bites or scratches or something. I look like I was attacked by a swarm of mosquitos.

I’ve given up on hydrocortisone…now using fluocinonide and occasional Benadryl.

Spiky Bugger the otc hydrocortisone is only 1%. You could contact your pcp for something stronger, though hopefully not full bore prednisone.

I have to admit, I like hostas as well. I’m thinking creeping thyme for the bed in back that is gonna be denuded. It has the advantages of being low growing, perennial, resists weeds, bees love it.

Sorry about the poison ivy. If the landscapers don't get it all, I have a tip based on weeks doing citizen scientist work at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in MD where we spent our days from dawn to dusk mapping trees and measuring their diameter at breast height. There was poison ivy everywhere, literally wrapped around the trees we had to encircle with our measuring tapes. The team there recommended frequent washing with Technu and we were amazed at how we came out unscathed as a result. Definitely give it a try if you haven't!

I used to get it bad as a kid. Back when people burned leaves, they also burned poison ivy, and the smoke would irritate my nostrils and gums. You don't know an itch until your lips, gums, nostrils and tongue itch...it would drive me nuts. The local doc would track it to avoid/ mitigate my throat /airway from closing

Don't know why they did not use steroids back then. Perhaps, at the time, 50s--60s, it was not a first resort for kids.

These days I follow southernlady's strip and shower routine, if I suspect exposure. The only thing I add is to clean all the clothes immediately, and run the washer twice with soap to clear the oils.

I don't go near the stuff. I used to guide in a nature preserve in high school, and can recognize it at a distance. At home I kill poison ivy with roundup... you could not pay me enough to touch it.

.,,, The team there recommended frequent washing with Technu and we were amazed at how we came out unscathed as a result. Definitely give it a try if you haven't!

OSU agrees

"Urushiol binds with skin proteins within 10–15 minutes, making it difficult to remove.

"Regular soap and water will not remove urushiol but will spread around the rash-causing substance. Even the tiniest particle of urushiol on the skin can cause a severe reaction. The late biochemist Robert Smith, who developed a cleanser that effectively removed urushiol, once said the amount of urushiol that would fit on the tip of a needle is enough to give 100 people the rash.

"Urushiol can also contaminate gear and clothing. Wildland firefighters often develop poison oak or poison ivy rashes because the burning plants release billions of urushiol particles in the smoke that contaminates firefighters and their gear.

"Most people don’t react to urushiol immediately. The reaction time varies from six to eight hours and up to three days before the rash occurs. The ultra-sensitive may react sooner. This delay provides an opportunity to remove urushiol from the skin before a rash develops or becomes severe.

wow, your yard is nothing if not lush!

They will clean out the worse of the mess so once cleaned up, we can go from there.

I'm glad you have a plan and hope you can both avoid any more exposure. take care of yourselves!

looking forward to any photos you want to share of blooming plants. love it!

Well, the landscaper had a concoction that supposedly kills poison ivy in a few hours. He sprayed it Tuesday morning, told us it would be dead by evening. Our batch is laughing at him. It’s still as lush and green as before they sprayed. He drove by this morning to check. Still nice and green and as healthy as can be. I’m curious what his next step will be.

Latest posts

Back