DS surgeon in California - Blue Cross PPO Insurance

Pixistyx

I posted on a different website and was told that this is a far more active forum, so maybe someone here can help me in my search.

I started the WLS process for DS with Dr. Patrick Coates in Modesto, California in March. I met the requirements, and they submitted my file to my insurance, Blue Cross (PPO) of California. They came back and said no. After a few dozen phone calls, I learned that the hospital Dr. C practices at is no longer considered a Bariatric Center of Excellence and he doesn't seem to have authorization to practice at any hospital that is. Their office isn't open today, so I'll be calling them monday on my lunch break to see who they would refer me to.

I need to find a new doctor that can do Duodenal Switch surgery at a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

After reading Dr. Rabkin's website, I was impressed, then horrified. He doesn't contract with any insurance and they want about 14k in fees upfront. If I had that kind of money, I'd have paid for my own surgery years ago. :(

If anyone has had DS in California through Blue Cross, (or not blue cross, I'll call any doctor and talk with their staff, that doesn't bother me!) I would love to know who and where you went. California is a huge state and we have friendly neighbors, there has to be someone out there I can go to that my finicky insurance will approve of.

I spent a few days just calming my brain down so I could think clearly, and I value the stories of people who have actually gone through the surgery at these places and with these surgeons more than a Yelp review or what have you.

Keshishian: dssurgery.com He has a program fee OUTSIDE of insurance of about $4K I think.

I got back all but about $4500 of my pre-paid surgeon fee with Rabkin (that was the amount over the BS "UCR" reimbursement rate, and the 20% copay for out of network.

I drove from the Bay Area to have surgery with Dr Keshishian in Delano CA. The hospital is old and a bit run down but it was clean and the staff was wonderful. He does have a program fee which I found well worth it. his website is http://www.dssurgery.com

Best,
Whit

My first recommendation would be Dr. Keshishian. Another possibility would be Dr. Jossart. He did my surgery (along with Robert Rabkin who is retired) and he recently did my daughter's sleeve. He has been doing the DS for quite a few years. I haven't really discussed it with him, but when I attended a support group meeting with my daughter, I got the feeling that he might be leaning more towards the DS in 2 parts or just the sleeve. Worth discussing it with him though. He did take my daughter's Blue Shield insurance.

Hi! Glad you found your way here. If you can travel to Delano or Glendale and pay the $3K fee (the 4K fee is for revisions, which you don't need), he is worth every penny and every bit of effort. I hope your insurance will work for him. Dr. Rabkin is certainly another option, and his insurance person should be able to figure out for you what your portion of the fee would be once insurance kicks in their share.
Hang in there, you WILL find a way to get your DS.

Latest posts

Back