Hello from NC

mslady05

Hello! I’m so glad to find this awesome community. I’m from NC and just started this journey with my consultation appointment at REX Bariatrics. I saw Dr. Sharp. Would love to hear from others that went through REX Bariatrics and how long their process was to schedule surgery from initial consultation. Also, did anyone use Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal for insurance and if so the ease of getting approved for surgery.

Hi and welcome mslady05 I used BCBS IL, but it was some time ago. I was denied initially, had to go through diets twice to prove to their satisfaction that I was on a medically-supervised weight loss program that failed. The first time, a year of diet food being delivered to my home didn't include enough weigh-ins or a prescription from my dotor. The second attempt I stayed on a liquid diet and was weighed weekly by a doctor at their expense for over a year for good measure before applying again. Ultimately it was covered and hopefully that type of nonsense is over now. Wishing you the best!

Hello! I’m so glad to find this awesome community. I’m from NC and just started this journey with my consultation appointment at REX Bariatrics. I saw Dr. Sharp. Would love to hear from others that went through REX Bariatrics and how long their process was to schedule surgery from initial consultation. Also, did anyone use Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal for insurance and if so the ease of getting approved for surgery.

I'm in NC and got my DS through Rex. Dr. Ng was my surgeon. He's a good cutter, but bedside manner isn't much, which was fine for me since I didn't need that. I don't know about the Federal BCBS, as I have the State Health Plan through BCBS. With my plan, there were no waiting periods or minimum number of visits to check weights or anything. My first consult with Dr. Ng was May 23, 2023 and my surgery was August 2, 2023. I didn't need to get a sleep study done because I had already done that and only had to give them a compliance report that showed I was using my CPAP every night. I think the sleep study takes the longest to get scheduled. I had to do my three initial group nutritional classes after the initial consult, then a decision visit. After that visit is when they sent everything off to insurance. Then I had one final group nutrition class, a pre-op visit, and then surgery.

The psych visit might also take a while to schedule. They have on in-office, but they were schedule like 6-7 weeks out. I called around the other psychs that they list (you have to use one approved by them) in order to get an earlier appointment.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Welcome mslady05!! I didn't go with REX, though I hear they have a nice program. I went with WakeMed, they did a great job. I have Cigna, but the process wasn't complicated, I qualified 3 times over. LOL Good luck at REX, I've heard great things about Dr. Sharp! And I agree, the sleep study usually takes the longest. I didn't need one as I already use a C-PAP, I just needed a compliance report. Nice to see another person from NC here!

Latest posts

Back