Diabetes

Sounds to me like the CGM may need to be calibrated - that it is detecting changes well, but potentially isn't offering precision. In any case I hope that you can work with your doctor on a plan that quickly leads to greater stability / less volatility in blood glucose throughout each day.
I know the Dexcom can be calibrated but not the FreeStyle that I have.

Re "sounds to me like the CGM may need to be calibrated -"

IIRC.. they all need frequent calibration.The way SouthernLady is using it is , possibly, the best use:

1 a warning system to be cross checked with a pinprick BGM if a lo is detected
2 an indication of hi/lo excusions that really can't be tracked by frequent pinpricks

I was able to get switched to the Dexcom. The sensors showed up 3 hours before my last FreeStyle Sensor stopped. So I got a final reading, applied the Dexcom. And it’s been wonderful. Absolutely steady. And I’ve been able to add it as a complication to my Apple Watch so I can look at my watch for my readings. It’s absolutely night and day difference.

How is your treatment now if you don't mind my asking?? Are you still doing the Metformin or did you switch to insulin? I never tolerated Metformin well, it gave me low blood sugar throughout the day and tortured my GI tract even at a low dose... When I had a glucose tolerance test in my late 20s I got a response like yours, but the doctor never said anything about it. So I tested myself at home with a glucose meter and a measured carb meal--still spiked high and crashed. I've always had issues regulating that post meal reaction unless I leave carbs out of it entirely. I'm really curious to see how my numbers do long term, but I will be sure to never consider myself "cured"! Diabetes is a life long illness even if you have nice numbers sometimes.

......I will be sure to never consider myself "cured"! Diabetes is a life long illness even if you have nice numbers sometimes.

Good to be cautious... but the DS is your best bet for remission of type 2 diabetes.

Worked for me after a decade.. let's hope it works a bit longer. I despised all the meds I was on to control my blood sugar... four at last count .. none since the DS kicked in

How is your treatment now if you don't mind my asking?? Are you still doing the Metformin or did you switch to insulin? I never tolerated Metformin well, it gave me low blood sugar throughout the day and tortured my GI tract even at a low dose... When I had a glucose tolerance test in my late 20s I got a response like yours, but the doctor never said anything about it. So I tested myself at home with a glucose meter and a measured carb meal--still spiked high and crashed. I've always had issues regulating that post meal reaction unless I leave carbs out of it entirely. I'm really curious to see how my numbers do long term, but I will be sure to never consider myself "cured"! Diabetes is a life long illness even if you have nice numbers sometimes.
I’m just on metformin. I learned LONG ago that yogurt was the best defense to the GI upset. I’ve been eating yogurt since 1997. Metformin might be responsible for my lows overnight but I have no proof.

I saw my endocrinologist this week, I’m boring and he’s sending me back to my PCP. Since I’m not using insulin anymore for any reason, Medicare won’t allow me to use a CGM. I’m not sure when that will discontinue but I’m due a refill soon and I may not get one. If that’s the case, it’s back to finger sticks. And since Medicare is so stupid about test strips that they only allow us 100 every 90 days, so that’s ONE test strip a day with 10 for oops. You can not make good decisions with just one test strip a day.

Anyway, part of why I’m boring, I’m in range over 85% of the time. Doesn’t matter that the other 20% I’m over 200 or under 50 and sometimes 40 without feeling it ( called hypo unaware) and can be deadly. And my latest A1C was 5.5.

My metformin is being lowered as they suspect it may be causing the inability to gain weight. The hardest part is remembering to not take all the pills I’ve been taking, LOL.

since Medicare is so stupid about test strips that they only allow us 100 every 90 days, so that’s ONE test strip a day with 10 for oops. You can not make good decisions with just one test strip a day

Doesn’t matter that the other 20% I’m over 200 or under 50 and sometimes 40 without feeling it ( called hypo unaware) and can be deadly
:mad:

you absolutely should have a CGM and I am saying a swearword at Medicare not paying for it. I know I have met type 2 diabetics who have it but no idea what insurance they have, of course. there is not one boring thing about life threatening! GAH!

:mad:

you absolutely should have a CGM and I am saying a swearword at Medicare not paying for it. I know I have met type 2 diabetics who have it but no idea what insurance they have, of course. there is not one boring thing about life threatening! GAH!
I know I should but Medicare moves at the speed of a sloth on Xanax in changing things.

That sounds frustrating!! I wonder if there is a co-pay/OOP cost program out there for the monitors? Or at least the strips if you can't get the CGM. You'd think with the random highs and lows they'd at least want you testing more often. I love when doctors brush off things because the average is okay. Yeah, the average is fine, it is the NON average ones that are the problem and can create some very scary issues very quickly!! *shakes head*

That sounds frustrating!! I wonder if there is a co-pay/OOP cost program out there for the monitors? Or at least the strips if you can't get the CGM. You'd think with the random highs and lows they'd at least want you testing more often. I love when doctors brush off things because the average is okay. Yeah, the average is fine, it is the NON average ones that are the problem and can create some very scary issues very quickly!! *shakes head*
We got a fairly cheap glucose monitor so I could purchase Test Strips over the counter and avoid limitations but even then I try limit my purchases as we are on a fixed income. But that way if I have a reason to test, I don’t feel guilty.

Latest posts

Back