Diabetes

Well, considering I was eating a boatload of sugary stuff during my liquid diet from my hernia repair, the a1c is excellent. 5.8. And one would think I would be happy but I've also been on a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor since just about the 3rd of Feb. And one would think I was on a damned roller coaster. I have highs and lows all over the place. I've had several nights where I'm in the red for low. As in below 70. Below 60, it warms me I'm low, below 55, it tells me I'm critical. I also have an alarm if I'm over 250.

Now, I have my iPhone on Do Not Disturb in the evenings so I can get a decent nights sleep. That is set between 9-5 and only certain individual are allowed to get beyond it. Mostly family. NO apps, including the Free Style Libre. Now the Low Glucose, and the High Glucose has to obey the DND. But not the Signal Loss or the Urgent Low Glucose.

The signal loss has been the annoying one. Its only suppose to activate if the iPhone or reciever is 20 feet or more away from me. However, I sit it under the edge of the pillow so its as close as possible IN THE BED. And still it loses signal, less than 6 inches from the damned signal. I had a really wild night on Thursday the 20th.

You see ALL those red dots at the bottom, that's when it says I was low. I did a finger stick and was above 90. So rather than eating, I went back to bed.

The first up after I woke up was my breakfast, the one I've been eating for 12 years. My doctored cup of coffee, no artificial sweeteners, but two really small sugar spoons of sugar. I put those in a measuring spoon one time, added to one teaspoon. My 8oz glass of milk and a yogurt. It was after that day, I stopped the yogurt in the morning, moved it to later in the day, and that hike has lowered back into the green. But you notice just how fast it drops? That's my reactive hypoglycemia at work. I can't go up and slide down, I have to jump off the damned cliff.

Now a graph like that does not correlate with my A1C. I see the endocrinologist in early May. I want off Metformin...sending a medication thru my system isn't as productive as giving myself insulin shots.

Last edited:
You see ALL those red dots at the bottom, that's when it says I was low. I did a finger stick and was above 90. So rather than eating, I went back to bed.

It's reading low when you are not actually low? I'm confused.

sorry things are so complicated for you!

I'm sorry for all of the ups and downs. Does that graph correspond with how you feel physically? Hope the A1C is right and the monitor is glitching in a way that is easily corrected.

It's reading low when you are not actually low? I'm confused.

sorry things are so complicated for you!
I treat by my meter not the CGM. Its not accurate as it reads a different fluid, not your blood like a fingerstick does. BUT I do look at the arrow beside the reading on the CGM. If it's going up, I test again in 30 mins. If it's going low, I test to my meter and if below 90, treat carefully. If it's straight, I just check again in a bit. Make sense?
I'm sorry for all of the ups and downs. Does that graph correspond with how you feel physically? Hope the A1C is right and the monitor is glitching in a way that is easily corrected.
The A1C is an average of blood glucose over 90 days. The graph is much more immediate. But its showing my highs and immediate drops.

I actually got one last night that didn't even register a number, all it said was LO which means its critical low.
So I got up and tested, my meter said 90, but the arrow was headed down so I came downstairs and ate a small amount of food. I needed to eat a small amount of protein and fat but Miss Pissy (my sleeve) said NO, so I got an individual applesauce and ate it. Just enough to add some food to my system.The readings the rest of the night from the CGM were in the 80's.

Last edited:
I treat by my meter not the CGM. Its not accurate as it reads a different fluid, not your blood like a fingerstick does. BUT I do look at the arrow beside the reading on the CGM. If it's going up, I test again in 30 mins. If it's going low, I test to my meter and if below 90, treat carefully. If it's straight, I just check again in a bit. Make sense?

The A1C is an average of blood glucose over 90 days. The graph is much more immediate. But its showing my highs and immediate drops.

I actually got one last night that didn't even register a number, all it said was LO which means its critical low.
So I got up and tested, my meter said 90, but the arrow was headed down so I came downstairs and ate a small amount of food. I needed to eat a small amount of protein and fat but Miss Pissy (my sleeve) said NO, so I got an individual applesauce and ate it. Just enough to add some food to my system.The readings the rest of the night from the CGM were in the 80's.
Sounds to me like the CGM may need to be calibrated - that it is detecting changes well, but potentially isn't offering precision. In any case I hope that you can work with your doctor on a plan that quickly leads to greater stability / less volatility in blood glucose throughout each day.

Latest posts

Back