Covid Vaccination?

I got my first dose of Pfizer. The pharmacist was a pleasant younger woman. We talked about hoping the vaccines will help us return to some semblance of pre-pandemic life. She wants to be able to attend her brother's wedding in Egypt. I want to go to Ohio and share tears and laughter with those who loved my friend, Tom.

I'm an essential worker, I wear a mask when I'm indoors at work or in public places but I don't really get to choose who I am around (and most people here are not being careful). My wife has not been infected so far and has several risk factors. So we are moving as quickly as we can.
Oldest two kids have been vaccinated, Wife had her first shot last week, I am getting my first one next Friday. There are some anecdotal reports that the vaccine might bring some release for the long term post covid symptoms which I would appreciate. I'm still not at 100% and I had a pretty mild case back in August.

I'm an essential worker, I wear a mask when I'm indoors at work or in public places but I don't really get to choose who I am around (and most people here are not being careful). My wife has not been infected so far and has several risk factors. So we are moving as quickly as we can.
Oldest two kids have been vaccinated, Wife had her first shot last week, I am getting my first one next Friday. There are some anecdotal reports that the vaccine might bring some release for the long term post covid symptoms which I would appreciate. I'm still not at 100% and I had a pretty mild case back in August.
I have a friend who had COVID. She was sick for months. Since she got the vaccine, she is feeling much better. There may be some truth to the reports about the vaccine improving things for the long haul COVID patients.

What a wonderful and scientifically interesting thing if Covid long-haulers are improved by vaccination! Vaccines as therapeutics is a very novel concept - perhaps the vaccine is stimulating the long-haulers’ immune system to clear a persistent infection that their immune system was not responding to sufficiently robustly.

When the immune system responds to an infection, various small parts of the infective agent are presented to the immune system as “foreign” and the response is to make antibodies to that bit. The process is fairly random, and not all bits generate an antibody that is effective or optimal, but it happens many times, so the majority of the time, there is an effective antibody created. The immune system then amplifies and commits to memory (memory T-cells) one or more clonal cell lines that are effective, and which have been optimized. Those are your immune memory defenses that protect you against future infections, because they are ready to immediately fight them off.

But some infective agents are just not going to generate a truly effective response in all people. Or the infection may find an immunologically protected hiding place, like the brain, nerve cells, or GI tract, where they keep replicating at a low level. Re-stimulating the immune system with a different antigen scientifically selected to generate an effective response (the vaccine) may help fight off the cryptic residual infection.

Just an anecdotal stupid thing I am sure. A coincidence. It has been a week since my 2nd shot. And since that shot, I am less tired, have more energy, and seem to require less sleep. But since these 'side effects' are good, I will take them.

Best guess, placebo effect. Probably improved my state of mind to know I have done what I could...

Finally managed to get an appointment for the vaccine. It is next Thursday at 3:00. My Aunt made us all promise to get the vaccine when my cousin passed from COVID-19 but scheduling was difficult. I was still nervous about it but committed to getting the vaccine.

My sister’s sister in law passed away yesterday from the virus. My sister talked to her at least twice a week. She mentioned she had a cold during their last conversation. My sister‘s nephew answered her phone and said his Mom was not feeling well. Her son called my sister to say she was in hospital and Covid-19 positive. Yesterday he called to say she passed away. We are all shook. She was social distancing and appeared to be following the COVID-19 protocols.

I am so sick of this. I have lost too many friends, neighbors, and family members. I am tired of living in a “bubble”. Trips to the grocery store should not elicit fear. I miss social interaction. I miss going to shows and concerts. I miss meeting friends for brunch. I guess I just miss my “old life”

Finally managed to get an appointment for the vaccine. It is next Thursday at 3:00. My Aunt made us all promise to get the vaccine when my cousin passed from COVID-19 but scheduling was difficult. I was still nervous about it but committed to getting the vaccine.

My sister’s sister in law passed away yesterday from the virus. My sister talked to her at least twice a week. She mentioned she had a cold during their last conversation. My sister‘s nephew answered her phone and said his Mom was not feeling well. Her son called my sister to say she was in hospital and Covid-19 positive. Yesterday he called to say she passed away. We are all shook. She was social distancing and appeared to be following the COVID-19 protocols.

I am so sick of this. I have lost too many friends, neighbors, and family members. I am tired of living in a “bubble”. Trips to the grocery store should not elicit fear. I miss social interaction. I miss going to shows and concerts. I miss meeting friends for brunch. I guess I just miss my “old life”
I am sorry for your loss. Your signing up for the vaccine is a good thing. You are doing what you can do to protect yourself and others.

Yesterday was my immunity day. I had the 2nd shot 2 weeks ago. So I have whatever immunity I am going to get. I miss people and my old life too. Sometimes I worry I am turning into a hermit.

MsVee : I’m so sorry for your multiple losses. I can’t imagine how not only sorrowful but also angry I would be in your situation. ❤️❤️❤️
~~~~~~
My family and I have had several losses in the last year as well, but in contrast to your experience, not one has been from Covid, although of course their passing has been affected by Covid.

My cousin died last March in hospice in NYC, from cancer that had metastasized to her brain. But none of her family could be with her at the end - when they put her in hospice in January, nobody could imagine that that would happen. I don’t believe her death was from Covid, but given what was going on in NYC at the time, who knows

My uncle by marriage died in August in FL, after spending the last 6+ months isolated between a nursing home and hospital, unable to be with my aunt or their children and grandchildren. He had bone cancer that had spread to his spine, and his wife and daughter couldn’t take care of him - once he was out of the house, he couldn’t come home. My aunt was also recovering from treatment for uterine cancer, especially when he got a mild case of Covid. At least his wife got to to spend a little time with him after he was moved to hospice before he died.

My oldest friend since we were 10 years old died from a very aggressive form of atypical Parkinson’s on Christmas Eve. Covid prevented me from traveling to see her, as she died under hospice care at her sister’s house in Reno.

In February, my aunt who lost her husband in August started feeling poorly. The cancer was back and had metastasized to her omentum. Within weeks she was gone. She died the same day she was moved into hospice.

Two days later, my father’s first cousin, who had been very ill with pemphigus and in and out of the hospital and SNFs, passed from her illness.

No funerals, except on Zoom. I actually like Zoom funerals better than IRL ones.

Latest posts

Back