Back Problems

Recall

Has anyone had any problems with spinal disc or nerve sensitivity?

I had my DS 2 years ago and lost 180 lbs. About 6 months ago I started having back and sciatic pain. Over this time I've had 2 back surgeries. One disc after another are rupturing and I can't get a straight answer from the doctors as to why this is happening.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my DS and malabsorption. My blood labs look good.

Jeff

Has anyone had any problems with spinal disc or nerve sensitivity?

I had my DS 2 years ago and lost 180 lbs. About 6 months ago I started having back and sciatic pain. Over this time I've had 2 back surgeries. One disc after another are rupturing and I can't get a straight answer from the doctors as to why this is happening.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my DS and malabsorption. My blood labs look good.

Jeff
Probably not. But before I say no way, what is your calcium, D, and PTH lab values and the lab ranges. Also what is your B12 and B6 values (and lab ranges).

Some people just have the bad luck of the draw with back issues. I know I do. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/spinal-fusion-and-or-bone-grafts-need-some-help.3240/

There is evidence for and against the idea of "bariatric bones." The same risk factors for bone loss exist before and after surgery, genetics, vitamin D and calcium deficiency, hyperparathyroidism, lack or exercise, and alcohol use, to name a few. This is a little dense reading, but it is from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. https://asmbs.org/resources/metabolic-bone-changes-after-bariatric-surgery
  1. "Obesity appears to be independently associated with vitamin and mineral deficiencies involved in bone homeostasis affected by race and potentially affected by gender. These pre-existing vitamin and mineral deficiencies may compound postoperative absorption of bone homeostatic micronutrients depending on the type of weight loss surgery and degree of weight loss....
  2. Cross sectional, retrospective, and prospective studies do not conclusively support any increased incidence of osteoporosis or increased fracture risk after bariatric surgery...
  3. The degree of bone turnover and BMD loss after bariatric surgery is related to the type of procedure performed, the amount and rate of weight loss, and the degree of malabsorption of other micronutrients and protein."
That said, I am 65 years old and have broken my wrist, kneecap, and femur recently. I am going on 12 years after surgery and this has all happened in the last two years. My sister, without WLS, has had spinal surgery for disc problems, so it might be genetic somewhat. Lots of 65 year old women have bone problems. I wish I had exercised more after surgery and taken more vitamin D than I did. Physical therapy can build bone strength and it has helped my sister more than the surgery did. I have been doing physical therapy for 3 months, but my insurance limits may lead me to (gasp) joining a gym. Good luck finding a solution that works for you!

I'm not sure how similar our issues are, but I'll give you some of my history, and what I've been told.

First of all, what Liz said above - make sure your calcium and related labs are good and that you don't have bone loss that has gone over looked.

I had back damage from injury many years ago, and the fat did a real number in causing more degeneration in my spine (can also be in hips, knees - all areas that are abused with excessive weight).

So even after losing weight, that damage is done, and while I'm not accelerating that process any more but carrying too much weight on my frame, (aging can still contribute though) it doesn't repair.

So several years post DS, I too had surgery for several damaged discs and instability that was pinching the nerve. I've been fused and have had to grow new discs from s1, l4 and l5, and was told that when they do work in one level of the spine, it puts more stress in the next (and unsupported) level, which can cause problems at successive discs, causing repeated surgeries.

So far, that is NOT what is happening with me, and my multi-level work was just not a complete success (yet. I'm still hopeful for some more recovery, and it is a super slow process). So are you having successive discs with issues, or just not getting the problem addressed to begin with?

I haven't read any data specifically linking it, but it may be worth looking at certain fats and nutrients related to nerve function. I did add dry krill oil to my sups just in case.

I've been fused and have had to grow new discs from s1, l4 and l5, and was told that when they do work in one level of the spine, it puts more stress in the next (and unsupported) level, which can cause problems at successive discs, causing repeated surgeries.
Which is how I ended up with my second fusion surgery 3 years ago. There is a 25% to 40% "failure" rate of the discs above a fusion.

I had an ACDF of C4-C6 in 2011, two years before my DS. I have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease so I have nerve and back related pain. I am positive that I would be worse if I still weighed 350 lbs. After my C spine fusion my surgeon told that he would not operate on me again unless I lost weight. obviously I lost weight but I haven't needed any more surgery yet, but at some point I am sure I will.

Thank you all so much for your reply's. I was hesitant to post because I did not want people considering a DS to worry that this could be a complication or side effect of the surgery, when more than likely, it is a genetic disorder with me. My mother suffered from a degenerative spine.
I am quite happy with my decision to have the DS. At my peak weight, I was 400lbs and suffered from high blood pressure, cholesterol and uncontrolled diabetes. All of these health issues have been resolved and I am very healthy at 185lbs. I am healthy with the exception of this spinal problem.
The docs say there is no longer any nerve impingement and the discs are stable. Their diagnosis is that I have nerve damage and they are suggesting an implant to block the pain signals to the brain(spinal cord stimulation).
For those that celebrate, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and happy shopping.

Thank you. I will take a look at that, as well as all of my vitamin levels next week, when I see my bariatric surgeon for my 6 month check-up.

Latest posts

Back