Sunday weigh in (06/14/2015)

LW-196
TW-190
Kinda weird and I gotta watch to be sure don't start losing again. I consider 189 my lowest amount want to go to at 6'1" and if keep losing I may have to start taking Creon. My last labs showed low Amylase, Lipase, and Trypsin levels. My Dr. actually prescribed me the 36,000 mg dose but I was hoping to avoid it. Are any of you guys taking Creon....how has it worked for you? Any side effects?

LW-196
TW-190
Kinda weird and I gotta watch to be sure don't start losing again. I consider 189 my lowest amount want to go to at 6'1" and if keep losing I may have to start taking Creon. My last labs showed low Amylase, Lipase, and Trypsin levels. My Dr. actually prescribed me the 36,000 mg dose but I was hoping to avoid it. Are any of you guys taking Creon....how has it worked for you? Any side effects?
Tagging @DSRIGGS

LW-196
TW-190

You men! Not only am I not taking any Creon, I would still like to lose a few pounds. I am so happy for you that you lost to goal. I hope you stay put without having to add the Creon. Are you eating more complex carbohydrates now that you are at goal?

LW-196
TW-190
Will

I take Creon and have been for 6-8 months now. I take 72k with meals and a 36k with snacks. Make sure to check all your lab values as I was so malnourished that I ended up in the hospital for a week with heart rate down in the 30's and blood pressure stupid low. My labs were pretty much all low and I was non iron deficient anemic and my total protein and albumin were half of the low limit.

Do not listen to anyone telling you not to take creon....it is not evil and doesn't do anything permanent. It simply helps you to absorb more nutrients and it only works for the short time you take it with food. Can't take one now and eat two hours later as it will be out of you GI tract and won't do anything.

As far as side effects it will make your poop more solid and it gives me what I call burning gut and butt. To remedy the burning I take Welchol 2 times a day with meals.

I would say to make sure you fully understand all your lab values before starting and it is possible that you need to eat more carbs to help absorb more protein. It sounds strange and I don't remember the exact reason but my GI explained it to me and it made sense.

My lab values are good now.

PM me or ask in this thread if you have more questions. Good luck and don't be afraid of the Creon. It is simply a short term medicine to aid absorption. Another board tried to make me feel as if I was some failure for taking creon which was ludicrous and ignorant. That is like blaming a cancer patient for having to take chemo.

Good luck and don't be afraid of the Creon. It is simply a short term medicine to aid absorption. Another board tried to make me feel as if I was some failure for taking creon which was ludicrous and ignorant. That is like blaming a cancer patient for having to take chemo.
Which is WHY I am glad you came over here. And excellent analogy!

Will

I take Creon and have been for 6-8 months now. I take 72k with meals and a 36k with snacks. Make sure to check all your lab values as I was so malnourished that I ended up in the hospital for a week with heart rate down in the 30's and blood pressure stupid low. My labs were pretty much all low and I was non iron deficient anemic and my total protein and albumin were half of the low limit.

Do not listen to anyone telling you not to take creon....it is not evil and doesn't do anything permanent. It simply helps you to absorb more nutrients and it only works for the short time you take it with food. Can't take one now and eat two hours later as it will be out of you GI tract and won't do anything.

As far as side effects it will make your poop more solid and it gives me what I call burning gut and butt. To remedy the burning I take Welchol 2 times a day with meals.

I would say to make sure you fully understand all your lab values before starting and it is possible that you need to eat more carbs to help absorb more protein. It sounds strange and I don't remember the exact reason but my GI explained it to me and it made sense.

My lab values are good now.

PM me or ask in this thread if you have more questions. Good luck and don't be afraid of the Creon. It is simply a short term medicine to aid absorption. Another board tried to make me feel as if I was some failure for taking creon which was ludicrous and ignorant. That is like blaming a cancer patient for having to take chemo.
Thanks DSRiggs! Wonder why the burning butt though...did you get the runs? Is it that caustic coming out? I'm thinking about just taking it intermittently...maybe a few times per week. My labs were basically ok, bit low on my A (as usual!), and my serum albumin and pancreatic enzyme levels were low. My damn ferritin is always high, yet I've had a low hemoglobin and hematocrit at times. Dr. is hesitant about ordering Iron infusion with high ferritin like it is, though my TIBC is a tad low. I'm on it mate ! Appreciate the info.
:thankyou1:

Thanks DSRiggs! Wonder why the burning butt though...did you get the runs? Is it that caustic coming out? I'm thinking about just taking it intermittently...maybe a few times per week. My labs were basically ok, bit low on my A (as usual!), and my serum albumin and pancreatic enzyme levels were low. My damn ferritin is always high, yet I've had a low hemoglobin and hematocrit at times. Dr. is hesitant about ordering Iron infusion with high ferritin like it is, though my TIBC is a tad low. I'm on it mate ! Appreciate the info.
:thankyou1:
I some times get bile salt diarrhea and the welchol is fat binding so it helps with that...and I think that is the burning.

What is your total protein reading? If your albumin is low I am sure it is low as well.

The hemoglobin and hematocrit being low indicate that you are anemic and it is not iron deficient. Doesn't sound like you need iron infusions.....you sound just like I was and I am guessing that you are malnourished. It sounds like you definitely need creon, but you need to work with your Dr and get frequent labs (I am checked every month) to see what dose is proper for you. They sell capsules ranging from 6,000 - 36,000 IU , so you will need to find the right balance.

Good luck

I some times get bile salt diarrhea and the welchol is fat binding so it helps with that...and I think that is the burning.

What is your total protein reading? If your albumin is low I am sure it is low as well.

The hemoglobin and hematocrit being low indicate that you are anemic and it is not iron deficient. Doesn't sound like you need iron infusions.....you sound just like I was and I am guessing that you are malnourished. It sounds like you definitely need creon, but you need to work with your Dr and get frequent labs (I am checked every month) to see what dose is proper for you. They sell capsules ranging from 6,000 - 36,000 IU , so you will need to find the right balance.

Good luck
Thanks brutha! My Dr. Ordered me Creon 36,000 mg tabs. I haven't taken any yet but will start Sunday. Want to be home until I determine what to expect from side effects, if any. I also plan to use it somewhat sparingly, though if weight keeps dropping I'll jump in with both feet. I do agree I'm malnourished ATM and this is the only way to fix that. I have been eating better, but I'm just not able to absorb enough. Creon should help a lot. I'm at work now, but will check protein labs. Has anyone else ever tried Ceon? Wondering about others experiences as well...

Thanks brutha! My Dr. Ordered me Creon 36,000 mg tabs. I haven't taken any yet but will start Sunday. Want to be home until I determine what to expect from side effects, if any. I also plan to use it somewhat sparingly, though if weight keeps dropping I'll jump in with both feet. I do agree I'm malnourished ATM and this is the only way to fix that. I have been eating better, but I'm just not able to absorb enough. Creon should help a lot. I'm at work now, but will check protein labs. Has anyone else ever tried Ceon? Wondering about others experiences as well...
More people will probably see your question if you put it in its own thread :)

Latest posts

Back