We decided to move.

Oh, nice new place!! So much brighter! It will definitely be a mood boost. It is amazing how one's surroundings can really impact their mood. Not everyone is that way, but I am. In our house I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning, we were surrounded by trees and the house was always dark even at midday. Here in the apartment light pours in from everywhere all day long and I wake up before my alarm a lot of days just from the sunlight triggering my brain to wake up! It has really helped me feel more functional. Good luck with the move! They are such a pain but I think it'll be worth it for you two.

I second the idea of finding an independent caregiver that you can work with a little over time, if that is possible for you guys. That way you won't be limited in where you can live and you get a much bigger say in who is providing your care!

Only about seven units, out of 70 or so, have been rented so far. Maybe we can’t afford this place. There is access controlled underground parking. The parking area has a few Mercedes, two Teslas, a Bentley and us.

A Bentley.

I mean…

are you there already? tell us about it!
Almost. Part Three (of the “Two Part” move) is tomorrow. Then we unpack and cull through ALL this mess.

It’s a brand new building. Washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove, microwave, HVAC are all brand new state-of-the-art stuff. As in, most of them can communicate with smart phones. (I don’t want them to do that.). It’s about 900 sq ft. Our sectional sofa is too big for here, but we will squeeze it in here for a while. The rent here, plus utilities and required renters’ insurance, probably will be ALMOST as much as we were paying. We have to figure out how to make sure MiniSue et al have access. Everything is on electronic key fobs (one opens the building door, elevator, fitness room, etc. The other opens OUR apartment door) and I need to get a set for her.

Meanwhile, SEVERAL other residents and a few employees are leaving the old place. The corporation that owns it is doing a horrid job with goal-setting. Two employees are seriously seeking employment elsewhere.

And…really different rental program. When we changed to the apartment we have, we got 100 sq ft more, for a whopping $20-25/mo more. That day. Their system recomputes rental prices, based on local supply and demand and inquiries, daily. So, we apparently chose a good day to change units. Today’s price difference between the two different units is about $300.

A few adjustments needed…I have to find a way to convert the shower to something WE want, like handheld. We need to, and have received an okay to, convert the tub to a walk in shower. And then THE LIGHTS! They turn themselves off after whatever THEY think is a reasonable time. So when some old woman with bladder issues awakens in “the wee smalls,” it is to a completely darkened home. I need a few nightlights.

And NOW…at 5:15 am…when I’ve been up for two hours… I may take a nap.

Those lights need adjustment to be a true motion sensor and you need to wiggle a foot or something to keep it on!

Charles said you SHOULD have access to tweak the settings on those lights, ASK! You don’t need to be stumbling around in the dark.

And very suspicious.

It’s a biggish corporation. They may have covered EVERYTHING.

For example, there are about 7-8 pages on how to prevent, identify and massacre bed bugs. It tells us what cleaning products we can use. It lists ALL the ingredients in ALL the garden pest control products they might use. It contains several pages for pre-move-in inspection and move-out inspection. It tells us that if we insist on political posters, the max size allowed is listed and how many days prior to election the signs can go up. There a couple of currently empty pages to list every contact tenants have with landlord.

Apparently, they’ve rented out a unit or two in other buildings and know what kind of issues might arise…lol

are you settled in now OK?

We have a few dirty dishes and our own hand-held shower fixture and stuff to take an emergency shower whilst moving and the bidet attachment. Those will come out tomorrow…IF…the GI virus that my GI doctor said is going around and which seems to have found MrSue goes away. Otherwise, we have until Friday.

Latest posts

Back