We decided to move.

Spiky Bugger

The new place, just an apartment, costs ALMOST as much as this and does not have a caregiver on site 24/7. (OTOH, the lousy alarm system here is tied to a sketchy WiFi system and works only once in a while, it so you usually have to call 911!) And it’s not just new to us; the whole thing is brand new.

Currently, we live in 728 sq ft, that includes a living room, one bedroom, one bathroom and a teeny kitchenette, teenier than the image below because a portion of that area is used in the emergency exit stairway On the other side of the wall.

The new place has about 825 sq ft, including a kitchen/dining/living area, two bedroom, two bathrooms and two balconies, which means…drum roll…each room is teeny-tiny. So glad I got the DS! LOL

It has a tub in each bathroom, but the unit is “accessible ready.” I need a letter from a doctor saying that one of us cannot safely climb over the sides of the tub and they will change it to a walk-in shower, grab bars, etc.

So we are losing the option of instantly adding Assisted Living but we’ll gain a NEEDED second bathroom, a second bedroom that can be an office, a REAL kitchen and have a couple of small balconies for plants, projects or whatever, plus controlled access underground parking and a fitness center. Also, across the (very big, very busy) street is a shopping center that has seen better days, but DOES have a grocery store, a threading place and several restaurants.

MrSue admitted that he finds this place depressing. They acknowledge that there are problems and tell everyone how things are being fixed, but the fix never happens. And it’s dirtier every day and I think most staff is doing their best. But I also think they are understaffed and departments are not getting the funding they need. And when all you pay is minimum wage, you get (for example) someone who SAYS he knows how to paint, but doesn’t seem to know that painting light switch covers instead of removing them before painting is not considered a standard practice.

Now I have to get my ass in gear! The new place will let us start renting as of 3/15 and we gave our 30 day notice, through 3/22, here today. We will have only one week of paying rent in two places at the same time.

Last edited:
The new place, just an apartment, costs ALMOST as much as this and does not have a caregiver on site 24/7. (OTOH, the lousy alarm system here is tied to a sketchy WiFi system and works only once in a while, it so you usually have to call 911!) And it’s not just new to us; the whole thing is brand new.

Currently, we live in 728 sq ft, that includes a living room, one bedroom, one bathroom and a teeny kitchenette, teenier than the image below because a portion of that area is used in the emergency exit stairway On the other side of the wall.

The new place has about 825 sq ft, including a kitchen/dining/living area, two bedroom, two bathrooms and two balconies, which means…drum roll…each room is teeny-tiny. So glad I got the DS! LOL

It has a tub in each bathroom, but the unit is “accessible ready.” I need a letter from a doctor saying that one of us cannot safely climb over the sides of the tub and they will change it to a walk-in shower, grab bars, etc.

So we are losing the option of instantly adding Assisted Living but we’ll gain a NEEDED second bathroom, a second bedroom that can be an office, a REAL kitchen and have a couple of small balconies for plants, projects or whatever, plus controlled access underground parking and a fitness center. Also, across the (very big, very busy) street is a shopping center that has seen better days, but DOES have a grocery store, a threading place and several restaurants.

MrSue admitted that he finds this place depressing. They acknowledge that there are problems and tell everyone how things are being fixed, but the fix never happens. And it’s dirtier every day and I think most staff is doing their best. But I also think they are understaffed and departments are not getting the funding they need. And when all you pay is minimum wage, you get (for example) someone who SAYS he knows how to paint, but doesn’t seem to know that painting light switch covers instead of removing them before painting is not considered a standard practice.

Now I have to get my ass in gear! The new place will let us start renting as of 3/15 and we gave our 30 day notice, through 3/22, here today. We will have only one week of paying rent in two places at the same time.

View attachment 2908
Good. And if either of you get to the point where separate bedrooms helps, you’ll have that option. I remember my grandparents having separate bedrooms long ago. Charles and I, have separate bedrooms due to sleep issues that make sleeping together a real problem. A sleep divorce makes sense as we got older.

Glad you found something that will work better for you! I like the set up of a closet accessible from within the bathroom on the left. That is smart design. Hope your move goes smoothly and you enjoy your new digs!

Last edited:
Good decision! And sometimes it's good just to have the decision behind you.
And even I know not to paint the light switch covers, though I would probably paint around them instead of removing them. Still an improvement, though.

Good. And if either of you get to the point where separate bedrooms helps, you’ll have that option. I remember my grandparents having separate bedrooms long ago. Charles and I, have separate bedrooms due to sleep issues that make sleeping together a real problem. A sleep divorce makes sense as we got older.

We can sleep together for a few hours, max. In many families it’s the man who needs the bathroom trips…here, it’s me. Uro/Gastro/Pain Meds wore off/etc. I think I once got five hours sleep and thought I’d gone to heaven! And then, it’s like sleeping next to a human heater. So we sleep together for short periods, regularly.

We can sleep together for a few hours, max. In many families it’s the man who needs the bathroom trips…here, it’s me. Uro/Gastro/Pain Meds wore off/etc. I think I once got five hours sleep and thought I’d gone to heaven! And then, it’s like sleeping next to a human heater. So we sleep together for short periods, regularly.
For us, it’s both of us but at different times. I have back issues, he has developed back issues, and knee issues but had his meniscus repaired so that’s better. But we went to separate rooms about a year ago and both of us are getting much better sleep.

For us, it’s both of us but at different times. I have back issues, he has developed back issues, and knee issues but had his meniscus repaired so that’s better. But we went to separate rooms about a year ago and both of us are getting much better sleep.
Yup. It happens in the best of families! LOL

The area is probably 2/3 Asian mostly Chinese (many recent immigrant) residents. So MiniSue’s smart ass friend said, “Your parents are going to be Chinese Yuppies? Cool!”

Last edited:
MrSue admitted that he finds this place depressing. They acknowledge that there are problems and tell everyone how things are being fixed, but the fix never happens. And it’s dirtier every day and I think most staff is doing their best. But I also think they are understaffed and departments are not getting the funding they need.
Now I have to get my ass in gear!

I'm glad you found a new, better, bigger place! as for your ass, please tell me you are not packing/lifting/moving any of it and you are paying someone else to do it?!!

I think ALFs are like nursing homes in that they rely on a constant supply of new, low paid workers because of the constant turnover. it's not in the best interest of anybody, as far as I can tell, but that's how it works.

LONG TERM I think it would be excellent if you found caregiver/s you know and trust to help you and (especially) your husband wherever you live rather than relying on the staff of a facility.

Did the current place ask for feedback about why you are leaving? because they certainly should!

They did. I provided feedback. I told them that I understand that they have to work within the budget they are provided by corporate, but explained that we could never recommend this to any other Independent Living “place seekers.”

hit the wrong button…so you get notified…
JackieOnLine

Latest posts

Back