Tiara's Thread

ShrinkingMyTiara

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd start a new journey here to track my experience with this surgery as I've found reading others threads to be so helpful!

I guess I should start with my whys. I have had issues with my weight since I was a teenager. I hit puberty and the weight started piling on. When I was 14 my parents decided to go vegan and while everyone else in the family did well with it I got very sick. Within the year I had gained 60 lbs and an autoimmune disease (that wasn't actually diagnosed until I was 26). I was in pain constantly. I started developing food sensitivities to grains, veggies, and fruits. I broke out in a rash over most of my body. I was not a happy person. I think the switch to a heavily carb diet really pissed off my system. I do much better with fat and protein.

I was vegan for 8 years and gained steadily until I was about 220lbs. When I was 24 I met my spouse and moved to NZ and my diet became much more balanced but my weight didn't seem to care. At 26 I was diagnosed with autoimmune arthritis. The rheumatologist said it was probably triggered by the diet change as a kid, some bodies treat that sort of thing as a trauma. We moved to the US for a while and over the next 10 years I gained more weight and the autoimmune disease got worse, affecting my spine, digestive system, and eyes. So I finally went on a biologic which keeps it down to a dull roar. In that time I also developed pretty severe deficiencies in Vitamin D and Iron. I take large doses of Vitamin D and have regular iron infusions, my GI tract just does not absorb it and taking it by mouth makes me very sick. They now say I have ankylosing spondylitis.

About 4 years ago the co-morbidities started. High blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, hypothyroidism, then two year ago diabetes. A few weeks after I was diagnosed with diabetes I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. They caught it just in time. A hysterectomy was curative, though I still have my ovaries themselves thankfully. The oncologist says losing weight will decrease my risk of recurrence. I also found out I carry a gene mutation for breast cancer and that oncologist said losing weight could decrease my chances of breast cancer too. So it was clear what I needed to do...

I've tried all sorts of different things for weight loss over the years. Pills, meds, injections, every diet under the sun, extreme exercise, etc... Nothing budges more than 10 lbs at a time. My weight gain continued even in the face of years of a 1300 calorie low carb diet. My highest weight was over 320. Some of my weight gain is definitely from steroids for the autoimmune flares.

On Nov. 1st I have surgery with Dr. Pilati here in NC! He's a very kind, compassionate doctor who will spend over an hour answering any question I've come up with! I consulted with another doctor but ultimately went with Pilati because he actually answers what I ask and is very thorough. He consulted with my gastroenterologist to make sure the DS would be safe for me, she feels it will be. But we've decided on a longer common channel due to the deficiencies and autoimmune history. We'll go with 175cm and a stomach with a bit larger top to help with the reflux as I have chronic heartburn. I'm hoping the weight loss will help with that.

I'm excited!! I'm ready for the comorbidities to be gone and this extra weight! I've never been below 200 as an adult. My starting weight is 312 (I'm not losing a thing on this pre-op diet unfortunately), the surgeon's goal we agreed upon is 180, my personal goal is 170. But to be honest anything below 200 would be amazing. I can do so much more at that weight and the chronic fatigue and fibro I have aren't as severe then. My biggest worry is a flare after surgery from the surgical trauma, and that I won't absorb the meds I take for my depression and PTSD, though the psych has worked with Dr. Pilati on other cases and feels we'll be able to make something work!

Okay, I'm done rambling. If you got through that wall of text you deserve a gold star! Thank you! LOL

While I never was vegan, I didn’t develop a weight issue til puberty either. But I hit 12 and all bets were off. I apparently inherited PCOS but back in the 60’s, no one really knew what that was.

Because my starting BMI was so low (35.2), but with insulin pump dependent type 2 diabetes, I was able to convince my surgeon that the DS was best for me. I also required NSAIDS due to my back. I also have ankylosing spondylitis among my other myriad back issues. So my surgeon made my common channel 175. I’ve done fine but I watch my own labs like a hawk. I don’t wait for any doctor to tell me what to adjust but I tell them what and why I am adjusting.

As long as your surgeon is working with a psych, you should be okay. If you have issues, remind them you malabsorb!

At 26 I was diagnosed with autoimmune arthritis. The rheumatologist said it was probably triggered by the diet change as a kid, some bodies treat that sort of thing as a trauma.
wow, this is interesting and alarming. I assume your parents meant well, but I wonder how many other people were messed up by their parents changing to a supposedly healthier diet.

I'm know more than one vegan who seems very healthy but we aren't all the same, clearly!

While I never was vegan, I didn’t develop a weight issue til puberty either. But I hit 12 and all bets were off. I apparently inherited PCOS but back in the 60’s, no one really knew what that was.

Because my starting BMI was so low (35.2), but with insulin pump dependent type 2 diabetes, I was able to convince my surgeon that the DS was best for me. I also required NSAIDS due to my back. I also have ankylosing spondylitis among my other myriad back issues. So my surgeon made my common channel 175. I’ve done fine but I watch my own labs like a hawk. I don’t wait for any doctor to tell me what to adjust but I tell them what and why I am adjusting.

As long as your surgeon is working with a psych, you should be okay. If you have issues, remind them you malabsorb!

It's good to know I'm not the only one with 175cm channel! I have to manage my labs for several things so I figure the bariatric labs will just be one more thing to keep a watchful eye on! Thankfully my GP has a sister who had bariatric surgery and has multiple patients who have had it done, so she's familiar with the procedures and some of the nutritional complications.

I suspect my issue at puberty was PCOS. I have never had high testosterone levels (in fact right now they are rather low) but my ovaries have looked polycystic more than once on ultrasound and I've had elevated insulin levels since my 20s when they started checking them. I wish there were easier, more consistent ways to diagnose it. You didn't even hear about it when I was a teenager...

Last edited:
wow, this is interesting and alarming. I assume your parents meant well, but I wonder how many other people were messed up by their parents changing to a supposedly healthier diet.

I'm know more than one vegan who seems very healthy but we aren't all the same, clearly!

They meant well, my siblings were pretty sick with asthma and cutting out the dairy really helped them. Unfortunately it just made me sick and no one ever really noticed that and connected the dots... It was frustrating. I'm sure I'm not the first one to have that happen! I had no clue that restricting a diet like that could trigger autoimmunity until I talked about it with him, and years later with an allergist who confirmed it!

My cousin who has been vegan as long as I remember has been having vitamin issue, she’s apparently having osteoporosis issues, and other things. So while she LOOKS healthy, her body says she isn’t.

This is actually really common, especially around the 7 year mark, that's when deficiencies really start to show. It is a diet that works well for some people, but there are also a lot on it that LOOK healthy but inside really aren't. I guess any diet is like that though if limited enough.

I didn't realize that a drastic diet change could trigger autoimmune issues, but I guess that makes sense.

I'm also in NC, and we have some good surgeons here. :)

I didn't realize that a drastic diet change could trigger autoimmune issues, but I guess that makes sense.

I'm also in NC, and we have some good surgeons here. :)
The diet thing is weird, eh? I regularly try new foods in an effort to have an ever-widening palette so I don't get back to that point! LOL

NC is great! I'm not from here but I'm glad we landed here when we came back to the US. I won't be here forever but it is a nice area to be in and the doctors here are pretty awesome for the most part. I feel really lucky to live in an area with so many surgeons that do the DS, considering how rare it is in the bariatric world!

So here I am on day 6 of the liquid diet. Surgery is Wednesday!! I'm doing all the things, showering with the antibacterial gel, making sure there are no polish on my nails, switching my nose ring out for a stud in hopes they'll just tape it down and let me keep it (the pre-anesthesia nurse told me sometimes they'll do that so I'm hoping!). I'll pack my bag tomorrow.

I got a good laugh the other day. I didn't lose any weight on the first two weeks of this diet (shakes, protein snacks, lean/green dinner). I realized it was because it was too close calorie wise to what I was eating before (1200 calories and 50 carbs instead of 1300 calories and 50-100 carbs). My body is REALLY resistant to losing weight and laughed at this effort. On the liquid diet it finally dropped 3 lbs. It seems I need to be at 800 calories and 20 carbs to lose weight. The next person to tell me I don't need surgery, just a reasonable diet, is going to get slapped. LOL That is NOT a reasonable amount of food. snort

I plan on weighing myself only once a week after surgery because I don't want my days to be ruled by "lost a pound, gained a pound" dramas. Plus I can't actually see the numbers on the scale because of my belly so I have to get my spouse to help me, so that will keep me accountable since they are not keen on the weigh everyday thing either. I feel very supported, my best friend even offered to go a day with only liquids in solidarity! That's love!

Hey guys! Surgery went pretty well. I've been having a lot of problems getting nausea and pain controlled. They finally tried liquid forms in my IV and they work! But that means I have to stay an extra night until we are able to get things controlled on oral meds. I feel like a bruised zombie.

I have to stay an extra night until we are able to get things controlled on oral meds.
worth it! you need what you need.

sorry to hear about the bruised zombie feeling but it WILL get easier.

can you sip? because you need to be sipping!

here's a (careful, gentle) hug!

:5grouphug:

Practice sipping. It’s a habit you will need. We get dehydrated very easily and as a result, we can get nauseous which causes more dehydration which causes nausea, which causes dehydration, get the picture? There is a post on the Maine forum called Never Had surgery before, and in the thread is a good way to get fluid in the first few days.

Latest posts

Back