Show me your daily menu (Post-op)

I am loving roasted almonds these days but the carb count on MFP adds up really quickly since they seem to be equal in carbs and protein. For those who are watching carbs (not DSRIGGS) and/or in the early phase of weight loss, i would guess you keep nuts to a minimum? what is your carb limit?

I am loving roasted almonds these days but the carb count on MFP adds up really quickly since they seem to be equal in carbs and protein. For those who are watching carbs (not DSRIGGS) and/or in the early phase of weight loss, i would guess you keep nuts to a minimum? what is your carb limit?
I ate lots of nuts when I was in the early part of my journey when I was trying to watch how many carbs I ate, and I dropped weight like a lead balloon.

To put the carb and protein count into perspective, if you ate an entire cup of almonds (that is quite a bit for early out) you would have 20 grams of carbs and protein.....so if one is going by the 50 carbs a day target (there is absolutely no science behind that number of carbs to eat a day, it is just what people on a few weight loss boards decided to use as a target number) you would still have 30 carbs left.

I am not sure somebody early out would eat more than a cup of almonds but if so that would simply mean that you have to be cognizant of other carbs you ate that day and make choices. I couldn't eat many carbs early on because I couldn't eat much food so it really was never much of an issue for me even when I tried to not overdo carbs. That being said, for me I preferred my carbs come from something like nuts rather than sweet stuff like yogurt.

All you can do is experiment and see how things impact you.

Oh, I forgot to add. Nuts, some more than others, have a good amount of oil/fat in them so it can have somewhat of a laxative effect...that can be good or bad depending on your needs but be aware of that potential.

Last edited:
I have noticed on days I take nuts or a trail mix with me, I don't have any trouble eating it all and I think it's because as you said @DSRIGGS , I end up eating a little at a time over the course of the day.

Those are the kind of 'tricks' I'm trying to learn and make habit in order to make this transition easier. I am finding out that it hasn't been as easy as I thought transitioning into this new way of eating.

I have noticed on days I take nuts or a trail mix with me, I don't have any trouble eating it all and I think it's because as you said @DSRIGGS , I end up eating a little at a time over the course of the day.

Those are the kind of 'tricks' I'm trying to learn and make habit in order to make this transition easier. I am finding out that it hasn't been as easy as I thought transitioning into this new way of eating.
The nibbling on nuts really made a difference for me as it seemed to kick start my appetite /ability to eat. It really does get easier to eat and one day you just wake up and realize you aren't worrying about eating, you just do it with out thinking.

My daily routine is reasonably stable and doesn’t vary too much at this point, especially since I’ve just stopped the protein drink a couple weeks ago started getting all my protein from food. The meat selections can also be chicken breast (just recently) and fish, mostly fresh salmon. Here’s what I have:

Breakfast:
1 whole large and 2 egg whites scrambled with caramelized onions and jalapeno’s with 1.5 OZ of parmesan cheese added and 1 OZ or so of pork loin steak on the side for a total of:

40g Protein 22g Fat 10 Carbs 387 Cal

I’ve just started adding a glass of milk a few times per week to get more protein and fat in, but for now I won’t count that in this equation.

Lunch:
4-5 OZ of either a Rib-eye or Pork loin steaks, (rotate with those other meats also) and either a cucumber salad or some veggie.

35g Protein 20g Fat 12 Carbs 450 Cal

Dinner:
Same as lunch, 4-5 OZ of either Rib-eye or Pork loin steaks, (rotate) and either a cucumber salad or some veggie.

35g Protein 20g Fat 12 Carbs 450 Cal

For snacks in between I will have 10 medium shrimps in a cocktail sauce and eat a few every hour or two.

10g Protein 0 Fat 5 Carbs 60 Cal

I also have been eating a lot of grapes. Not every day, but figuring it in for the carbs. 1 cup =

1g Protein 0 Fat 27 Carbs 104 Cal

TOTAL PER DAY =

110g Protein 62g Fat 66 Carbs 1,632 Cal

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back