Show me your daily menu (Post-op)

Friday...

Coffee with cream

1 cookie

8 mozz sticks with 1/2c marinara.

toppings from 1 slice pizza

4HB eggs

Will probably have ice cream before bed too.

I eat four times a day, and I'm 15 weeks out. I call it "Breakfast, Lunch, Third Meal, and Dinner." lol. And I usually have a snack too. The truth is it's really just 4-5 "meals." I can only eat a half-cup of food at a time. I don't really discriminate as far as what I have for which meal. I just have a list of basics, and then once a week hubby and I cook a low-carb, protein-heavy (right now it has to be very moist, too, for my sleeve to handle it) recipe that I eat some of each day for the week. Gives me something different to look forward to every week. I still struggle, really hard, to get 1000 calories in every day. This is my "basics" list of things I keep on hand. I use it to plan what I'm going to eat that day every day when I get up (I use MFP to plan it all and make sure I'm going to meet my macros).

• Eggs (Scrambled, poached - tummy can't really handle anything else yet)
  • Cheese (cream cheese, Laughing Cow wedges, American, Shredded Mozz)
  • Special Cheeses for this week: Ambrosia Cheese, Gouda with Cumin, Wasabi, Stilton Blue (We are a cheese-loving family and cheeses are high in calories and low in carbs, which is EXACTLY what I need right now)
  • Cottage Cheese
  • Canned Tuna
  • Canned Chicken
  • Full Fat Mayo
  • Low Fat Milk
  • Protein Shake
  • Full Fat Salad Dressings
  • Hazelnut Butter
  • Peanut Butter
  • Nestle Soleil No Added Sugar Yoghurt
  • Avocados
  • Cruskit (lowish carb cracker-like thing we have here in Aus)
  • Low Carb Bread
  • Lower Carb Barley Wraps
  • Refried beans with cheese and salsa (rarely made treat due to all the carbs)
  • Marinated Chicken Pieces
  • Ham/Swiss Rollup (alternate weeks with turkey/American cheese)
  • Blueberries
  • To stick in my purse when out running errands: Quest Bars
  • Recipe of the Week (This week it's Low Carb Taco Stuffed Peppers - hubby will eat the peppers, I'll just eat the insides)

Here's what yesterday's menu looked like for me ("Devondale Dairy Soft" is butter):

11539064_10100211410438640_9039893244703807606_o.jpg

The day was unusual in that we very rarely eat at McDonalds and I almost never eat anything that has 20g carbs all by itself, but we ended up having to stop and eat something and McDonald's was the only option that was nearby enough we could stop. Normally I'd just get a burger with no bun but I was pretty nauseated and the chicken wrap was the only thing that didn't make me feel like getting sick.

I realize I'm not a DSer, but I eat low carb, high fat, high protein anyhow, so my diet has all the same focuses (focii? haha) as a DSer's. :)

The only thing I dislike about MFP is the inability to create more specific goals - my carb goal is actually 50 or under, but it won't let me set it that way because it has to be a percentage of my calories and in 5% increments.

17.5 weeks post op

Greek yogurt handful of peanuts
Lobster meat with mayonnaise
Rtd premier protein
3 baby back ribs 3 bites of a mixed green salad with cheese and apples plus full fat dressing. 4 Fritos
Atkins protein bar
Cheese and nuts

@more2adore Why the broccoli if you aren't getting in at least 90-110 grams of protein?

I would suggest that you start adding nuts (cashews, peanuts, almond, pecans, pistachios, etc) and seeds (Sunflower, pumpkin, etc.). Those are great forms of protein on which you can nibble throughout the day without noticing and they pack a great deal of protein. It was around the 2-3 months when I started doing that and it really helped me get in protein (quite easily I might add) and increase my fluid intake because it made me thirsty. I was having a very hard time getting in enough liquids then because I can't drink if not thirsty.

Try doing that and I think you will find your protein count shoot up and weight start flying off.

I also need to add that your goal for 75 grams of protein at 15 weeks, is too low. Your goal should be 110 grams minimum at this point. Women are different than men but the 30, 60, 90 rule applies (at 90 days be at 90 grams of protein). You are at 105 days so I think 110 is a more appropriate goal....you can't get too much protein (yes easier said than done, but the nuts really helped me get there)

Last edited:
@DSRIGGS Actually, I was taking in much more protein earlier on. The vets here actually told me I was taking in *too much* protein and it could be behind my weight stalling for several weeks and I needed to cut it back. I think the theory was that since I don't malabsorb protein like a DSer I don't need as much. I stopped taking in so much protein, increased my calories, and started taking Metformin, all at the same time - but the weight started coming off again. Not sure which of those three was responsible, but I haven't stalled since then. I average 2-4 pounds lost each week now, and I'm pretty happy with that. :)

And broccoli (or any kind of veg other than avocado) is a treat for me - only the second time since surgery I've had broccoli. I just was using it as a conveyance for the fat and calories from the butter and the cheese, which I needed. :)

And broccoli (or any kind of veg other than avocado) is a treat for me - only the second time since surgery I've had broccoli. I just was using it as a conveyance for the fat and calories from the butter and the cheese, which I needed. :)
That makes sense and I get it. Just know that broccoli is one of the biggest bloat and gas causing foods out there...I am talking before any of us had the DS.

Please do try the nuts. They are so easy to chew up very finely so they aren't super dense and filling. The ratio of protein to bull (for lack of a better description) is really high. They were a godsend for me.

Good job and good luck!

@DSRIGGS Actually, I was taking in much more protein earlier on. The vets here actually told me I was taking in *too much* protein and it could be behind my weight stalling for several weeks and I needed to cut it back. I think the theory was that since I don't malabsorb protein like a DSer I don't need as much. I stopped taking in so much protein, increased my calories, and started taking Metformin, all at the same time - but the weight started coming off again. Not sure which of those three was responsible, but I haven't stalled since then. I average 2-4 pounds lost each week now, and I'm pretty happy with that. :)
I guess I am confused (my old brain has trouble keeping people straight). You are a sleeve or RnY patient, not a DS?

The RnY diet and the sleeve are definitely different than the DS, so my apologies if I was confused in thinking you were post DS.

Unfortunately I tried some pecans a couple of weeks ago and they made me throw up. :( I think it's going to be a while before I can handle plain nuts. I can handle nut butter, though, and I incorporate it semi regularly. :) Ironically, the broccoli was just fine! Go figure.

Yep, I'm a sleever. My surgeon here in Aus would only give me a DS as a second stage - have to lose weight with the sleeve first, have any kids we want first, and THEN he'll consider doing the DS.

Yep, I'm a sleever. My surgeon here in Aus would only give me a DS as a second stage - have to lose weight with the sleeve first, have any kids we want first, and THEN he'll consider doing the DS.
Wow, no offense but that surgeon is full of horseshit. What a terrible thing to do to somebody making them have two surgeries.

Great idea @heyclementine! I will add mine but kinda feel like it doesn't count since I had so many damn complications, but maybe it will help someone. My concentration right now is healing.

3 Weeks out:
Breakfast - 3 tbsp garbanzo beans.
AM snack - protein drink
Lunch - 3 tbsp. chicken salad
PM Snack - premier protein drink
Dinner - 3 tbsp chicken salad

Usually about 75 to 85 fluids - which includes juice, G2, tea, or water

one challenge - no fluids 30 minutes pre or post meal -
Are you RNY?

@duh_Mom how do the beans sit with you? Bean skins were VERY hard on my insides for many months. And @DSRIGGS broccoli and cabbage were the first veggies to NOT bother my insides, even though cruciferous veggies can be problematic for normies. Weird.

Anwayssss, a typical day for me....

Breakfast 1
3 Hard boiled eggs or 2 of what I call egg cups (basically these http://www.homesteadingmom.com/2012/02/20/make-ahead-meals-omelette-muffins/ ) eaten slowly

Breakfast 2 (if I have time)
2 oz nuts or 2-3 oz cheese

Lunch
4 oz leftover chicken or steak,
or 4 oz deli meat rolled up with American cheese
or a cup of chicken salad

Snack 1
2-3 oz cheese

Snack 2
2 oz nuts or jerky

Snack 3 (sometimes)
Pimento cheese on crackers
Or a cup of Greek yogurt with honey or nuts
Or a protein shake

Dinner
4-5 oz of whatever protein I cook
About 1/4 cup of veg
Sometimes a few bites of hubby's carby side
Sometimes a salad with cheese, sunflower seeds, bacon bits & creamy dressing

I won't lie there's often some crap thrown in there as well, but the main focus of EVERY meal is protein

Latest posts

Back