New DS'er update - 16 days post op

heyclementine

I was browsing today trying to find some good information on vitamins and thought I would give a quick update. Thanks for all the responses to my other post, I took note of some of the protein shakes you all recommended but I sure hope I don't need them for a while!

1. At 2 weeks out, I was down 27 pounds. This is not including the water weight I gained while in the hospital. Mindblown! (from 355 to 328)

2. I was able to start the soft foods phase of the diet this week which has made me feel considerably better. My energy is still not great, but I feel so much better. I'm able to hold 1/2 cup of cottage cheese at a time, or 2 XL scrambled eggs, or a whole order of pinto beans from Taco Bell. I feel like that's not bad for 16 days out! (I skip the cheese on my pintos because my nutritionist said to avoid melted cheese until 3 months out. Anyone know why this is?)

3. I consumed around 44 grams of protein yesterday - just with food!! And I have my water intake up to 60oz and trying to increase that even more.

4. One thing I didn't like about the "soft foods class" I was required to attend was I was the only DS'er there, the rest were RNY people and 1 sleeve. I am hoping and trying to make sure I was given the right information on what to eat.

5. I found all the vitamin information I was looking for, thank you to the vets for keeping us newbies informed. I appreciate it more than I can say.

Have a good one!

Sounds like you are doing great. I don't know why the nut would say no melted cheese, that is a new one. Keep bumping up that water/fluid intake. It will make you feel a lot better.

Wow, it sounds like you are doing really great. Keep it up! Keep getting those fluids in.
I, too, am not sure why you would be told no melted cheese. One of the first things on my soft foods list is melted cheese.
Keep doing what you are doing and you will be at your goal weight in no time.

I agree, sounds like you are doing great.

Maybe she was thinking the cheap kind found in fast food places when it comes to melted cheese? To be honest, that kind isn't cheese at all. But REAL cheese, solid or melted is a GREAT THING!!!

I was browsing today trying to find some good information on vitamins and thought I would give a quick update. Thanks for all the responses to my other post, I took note of some of the protein shakes you all recommended but I sure hope I don't need them for a while!

1. At 2 weeks out, I was down 27 pounds. This is not including the water weight I gained while in the hospital. Mindblown! (from 355 to 328)

2. I was able to start the soft foods phase of the diet this week which has made me feel considerably better. My energy is still not great, but I feel so much better. I'm able to hold 1/2 cup of cottage cheese at a time, or 2 XL scrambled eggs, or a whole order of pinto beans from Taco Bell. I feel like that's not bad for 16 days out! (I skip the cheese on my pintos because my nutritionist said to avoid melted cheese until 3 months out. Anyone know why this is?)

3. I consumed around 44 grams of protein yesterday - just with food!! And I have my water intake up to 60oz and trying to increase that even more.

4. One thing I didn't like about the "soft foods class" I was required to attend was I was the only DS'er there, the rest were RNY people and 1 sleeve. I am hoping and trying to make sure I was given the right information on what to eat.

5. I found all the vitamin information I was looking for, thank you to the vets for keeping us newbies informed. I appreciate it more than I can say.

Have a good one!
WOW. I would say that is good!!! I am 7 months out and still can't quite finish a whole scrambled egg. Good for you. How did the beans sit with you? I can clear out a room if I eat beans. Even with beano!!! Glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work!

My doc to.d me to avoid cheese for 3 months postoperatively due to lactose intolerance--maybe that's the deal?

My doc to.d me to avoid cheese for 3 months postoperatively due to lactose intolerance--maybe that's the deal?
While that is possible, depends on the cheese as well. I am lactose intolerant. I eat cheese all the time. And have from the beginning. They don't bother me.

Just as an FYI- cheese had very little lactose, usually 1-2 grams per ounce, and in aged cheeses, the lactose actually gets broken down over time so the real sharp ones usually have none

Just as an FYI- cheese had very little lactose, usually 1-2 grams per ounce, and in aged cheeses, the lactose actually gets broken down over time so the real sharp ones usually have none
Yeah, but who cut the cheese? :D

Sorry the 9 year old in me couldn't help it.

Sounds like you are doing well. Congratulations! At about this time out, my favorite food was tomato soup with melted cheese. I lived on it...

Have a good one!
Grats! You are doing fantastically!! As for the cheese....does he fear it binding you up with lower fluid intake? That's my only reasonable guess. For protein shakes I love Bolthouse brand at local supermarket and Walmart. Bit pricey, but tastes great

I read on the notes and they specifically said "sticky melted cheese as in pizza toppings" so I think she was just taking that idea too far. I guess sticky cheese like from a pizza could possibly cause some problems? I have no idea! I've eaten a lot of cheese with no ill effect :)

Have a good one!
Sounds like you are doing magnificently heyclementine! Just keep hydrated...please!! As for vitamins, it's good that you're thinking about them, but at this point your stomach is still healing and I'd not be pounding it with tons of huge pills. Eventually you'll want to be taking 50,000 of dry D3 daily...which is far more than what's in those Calcium citrate tabs. I use Biotech's which is sold on Amazon.
As for soda, it's simply a matter of gas in=gas out. The difference between a DS'er and others is that because our food is digested late and only partially, our stool has a different/worse odor. Gas we release passes along this fatty stool and carries with it higher levels of methane and other stinky gases which can clear a room-literally. So there's not much sense in loading up the fart machine, unless you plan to be home alone that day. You WILL be horribly embarrassed in a public setting if you drink carbonated beverages...it's a mathematical certainty if you stay there long enough. I would also completely avoid sugar at this time, as it's food for bacteria and you are still at risk for infections. It's also just not good for you. Love your meal, but agree with others that losing the carbs might have allowed you to eat more salmon, and that protein is what you need for healing right now. At 3 weeks out ( and for 1st 3 months really)it's still all about the fluids and protein. Your vitamin stores will last months, so don't feel pressured to take horse pills just yet. Chewing like you were taught is to ease the pressure on your stomachs incision line and also to avoid over eating and vomiting. By forcing yourself to go slowly, the too full feeling won't creep up on you and the nausea/vomiting that goes with it. Trust me, you can go from feeling fine and then eating 1 more mouthful and instantly getting horribly sick and vomiting. In fact, you WILL do that at some point. We ALL do and it's the bodies way of teaching us where the line is. You are doing great! Please understand that you will have good days and bad going forward. You will be weak for at least 3-4 months, I don't care how strong you are. I had HUGE troubles taking in fluids or eating for the 1st 6 months, and didn't eat a full meal really until 8 1/2 months. Then it was like a switch was thrown, and I just could eat better. That's VERY common by the way, the whole "switch" just going on and ability to eat better sometime after 6 months. Be patient friend! I know you are aware your sweet spot for weight loss is the 1st 18 months. You can lose more after that, but your stomach will stretch back to 75% of normal around then, and so your intake of calories will increase then. Take advantage of this tough to eat phase,because it's your surgery performing it's miracle cure of your obesity problem. Stay in touch girl!
:nike:

Latest posts

Back