Food questions

Mystrys: Have you looked at the carbs in your drinks? The three you mentioned are almost half of the allowed carbs with a single serving of each: Soja (6g), V8(8g) and coconut water (4g) =18 g. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but they count as much as any other carb. I don't count protein drinks as hydration, and they all have some carbs. I'm a crazy nutrition label reader now for anything in a can or box. But I will eat anything in its natural form.
Agree totally about European butter (Irish butter is my favorite). But, kimchi, I don't get it. Sauerkraut maybe.
Don't get crazy about any of this. A little here, a little there. You've got the big picture. Some days will be better than others. No one here is a saint; we are all sinners with the rules occassionally. Sounds like you are doing great with food already...

Mystrys: Have you looked at the carbs in your drinks? The three you mentioned are almost half of the allowed carbs with a single serving of each: Soja (6g), V8(8g) and coconut water (4g) =18 g. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but they count as much as any other carb. I don't count protein drinks as hydration, and they all have some carbs. I'm a crazy nutrition label reader now for anything in a can or box. But I will eat anything in its natural form.

Yes M'am! I count all those drinks in my carb totals. I also keep track of the net carbs but mostly to account for any fiber I may be getting. Little as it is right now! Lol
I'm at or under 40 total carbs in a day. The NUTS@ Boyce's office want me to up that, but I'm ok right now. This will change as time goes on and I can incorporate veggies and fruits into my diet. So right now, my green juices,V8,etc are how I'm propping those numbers up. I'd MUCH rather have my carbs come from Kale,Brussels Sprouts and asparagus (I'm a green food JUNKIE) but it's just not time. I always laugh because when I tell people I crave raw kale the way most crave chocolate. ..yea...you'd have thought I had 3 heads from their responses!!! :alien:

My (amateur) education in nutrition started alost 6 years ago. I took a beginner course because my first consult and seminar for Bariatric surgery scared the living crap out of me. I left there with a booming voice in my head that said I would NOT SURVIVE a RNY and they wouldn't approve me for a sleeve at that point. I call that listening to Intuition. So, I began to learn all I could, changed my entire lifestyle and eating habits, started exercising and lost 128 pounds in about 11 months. Off all 19 meds I had been on including 2 insulins and another injection,Byetta. I was ecstatic. And then...life happens.
Anyway,I kept all but 30 of that off until my surgery in April. And in the meantime,my MIL became very, VERY sick with AlphaGal from numerous tick bites. I had to teach her how to read labels, cook, and eat in a way that she could maintain. She is a traditional Southern Mom who didn't know any different. She was about to give up on life,period! She tells me and others all the time that I saved her life. I showed her that life did not revolve around meat and potatoes! She willl never be able to eat the way she knew all 65 years of her life. She will never be able to eat gluten, red meat,salmon or pork again. Hers is that severe. But we got through the worst and she has her life back. I am just so glad to have been there for her. It took us over 3 hours in Kroger to show her where and how to read labels. She's a pro at it now!
Knowledge is Power!!

Thanks everyone!
I just want to clarify...I did NOT force this. I knew better. I was plugged and knew it, took miralax before bed and woke at 3 am to it needing to come out! The force had built up behind it and was what caused the issue. It wasn't budging at all...until it did! I had no control over it at that point but surely wished I did. And since it was so solid, a little slower exit might have caused less damage or pain. I would have liked time to get some mineral oil up there!! Great ideas for me and reason to prepare in case the is a 'next time'. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that!!

I'm pretty sure I'm not dehydrated,but anything is possible. I dont know what is common for my new anatomy. I'm getting about 100-140 oz of fluids in every day. I've always been a big water drinker so this wasn't an issue for me. Just as much as my tummy will allow,I drink...all day. Not big on the add-ins either. Just plain water for me. But I do count in my coconut water, V8, Suja uber green juice and protein shakes.
My food has been full fat everything from the get go,because frankly I've always been healthier and able to function better with a Ketogenic/low glycemic diet. Never trust a food that is taking out fat and replacing it with sugar,salt and chemicals to "taste good."
That being said, I was taking it slow with everything but protein and fluids. I've alowly increased the fat as my protein increased. I am at about 100-120 g of protein and about 50-60g of fat. I will keep bumping it up now that im seeing more need for it. Under 40 for carbs for now.

I'm at the point where next week I advance to phase 3. I will be adding veggies and a few other things like my kimchi and sauerkraut that may help. Fermented foods ALWAYS helps me a lot. I've also been off caffeine for over 2 months and will be adding my bulletproof coffee back in starting today. I had considered not going back to the bean, but,it does help me in the bowel arena. Especially with the MTC and European butter. I love that I am finally part of a community that doesn't balk at this idea. I've been enjoying this tasty elixir for almost 5 years and no one ever understood me!! BTW...The NUT told me no nuts or seeds yet, but I could sure use my macadamia and pistachios in the fat area! Ok to eat at almost 6 weeks or no?

Like all of us at the beginning, I'm new to this. Its uncharted territory fo me. I have done my best to educate myself but I will make mistakes,learn from them and move forward doing better. I'm here because I don't necessarily believe I have to make ALL those mistakes myself. I am quite capable of taking direction and allowing those that blazed the trails before me, guide me. So again, thank you all for your input,advice and sage wisdom.

This has been the most difficult part of my process so far. And some may roll their eyes at that. But I feel very blessed and fortunate to have not had any other major issues as of yet. I've never had any constipation issues in my life...ever! I've always had the opposite in fact. I know how to traverse that road. This....this is completely new to me. Im with you @DSRIGGS ,I'd rather have it loose than a belly and ass load of bricks ANY DAY!

*sigh*
My poor parts took the entire day to recover and I'm still a bit sore this morning. I literally did nothing yesterday but rest and slept. But I THINK,other than feeling like someone kicked a log up my butt, I might be ok. No blood and I've had small BM's throughout the day/night. Nothing major but at least things,are moving. I added 3 colace, tsp of mag citrate powder, MiraLax and a lot of fluids yesterday. I will continue this until I'm sure things are in balance because I have NOT even begun to supplement with calcium yet. I have only started the dry D3 and new multivitamin. Also still using up the BariLife powder since I paid for it and I don't have a hard time with it.
IF I AM MISSING SOMETHING, you guys know I'm open to advice and suggestions.
This is, indeed, a balancing act that everyone needs to take seriously. I hope more DS'rs find their way here.

I am so greatful for this community and all of your genuine, caring advice.
Thank you,again. :inlove:
Careful with the Bulletproof Coffee! I drank it for years pre-DS but my post-DS guts cannot handle the MCT oil (regular coconut oil is fine). Even tried the official Bulletproof brand MCT. So now I just stick with the European butter (or Kerrygold, whatever I have) and it's fine. Of course, you may have a different experience, but word of caution...

I've also been off caffeine for over 2 months and will be adding my bulletproof coffee back in starting today. I had considered not going back to the bean, but,it does help me in the bowel arena. Especially with the MTC and European butter. I love that I am finally part of a community that doesn't balk at this idea. I've been enjoying this tasty elixir for almost 5 years and no one ever understood me!! BTW...The NUT told me no nuts or seeds yet, but I could sure use my macadamia and pistachios in the fat area! Ok to eat at almost 6 weeks or no?
I do just butter coffee...never could stand the taste of the coconut oil (I do use it on my skin tho :) ). Anyway, go slow on the coffee this week and work yourself back to it.

As far as nuts...personally I would wait about maybe another week to be sure the insides are healed and go slow there as well.

Actually with that said, at the 6-8 week mark, I was eating pretty much anything just in very tiny amounts. (I started ignoring the nut about week 2 when they had me still on liquids and I moved myself to soft foods and stayed there til about week 6). Sometime around the third month, I started trying salads cause I REALLY craved them. Started with lettuce and dressing, second on added some tomato...I added a new item each time until I had tried all the things I normally would eat but adding them one at a time gave me the chance to see if anything was an issue. Baby steps!

Latest posts

Back