My (Robs), New Update 7+ Months Post-Op

Lol, I trust that you are completely normal! I would absolutely love to meet you. Maybe on our next visit here. We are so booked this time. Just trying to fit in so much with his mom.

We would like that. Just let me know when you may be back and I can throw some of those Ribeyes on the grill and we can have a great visit!

BTW, that is a GREAT picture! You both look very happy and very beautiful!

Wow, thank you @aaa for sharing your perspective, really great info. I also just looked at your pic history....absolutely amazing. So, yeah I can see where there were still a lot of changes between the 9 month and 1 and 2 yr mark. I can see where you might think your done, but your really not and those pics show all the progression. GREAT JOB!
Hey, thanks. :) BTW, I love a ribeye, too.

We would like that. Just let me know when you may be back and I can throw some of those Ribeyes on the grill and we can have a great visit!

BTW, that is a GREAT picture! You both look very happy and very beautiful!

Thank you! I will take you up on the Ribeye someday. I live to eat. I think they gave me a tapeworm along with my DS. I am always hungry.

Rob, 123???? Wow!!!!! Moreso, so happy to read your waterpark NSV. It's wonderful to be able to be right in the mix instead of an observer, isn't it?

Well done. I am just thrilled for you. Please stay on top of that iron. :)

Thxs Ma'am! You know Larra, that's about the one thing I miss the most....is a BIG FAT JUICY HAMBURGER! It sounds good, it looks good, but, when I take the first bite, it just sends me in to a nose dive..lol I'm hoping I will be like what yours did and it will come back eventually.

I was like that with burgers at first, too, and eventually could eat them again. They have to be medium rare and juicy, though. I never understood husband and daughter's issues with food textures before this surgery, just thought they were big babies, but, now, I get it. He made burgers one day and they were perfect, two weeks later, he made burgers again, and they were cooked a little more, so just a little less juicy and couldn't eat them, even with mayo! The dog was happy that night!

Thank you @newwomanin2015! Isn't it just weird how those food aversions work! I used to live in grilled chicken breasts, and like you cant even get close to it. But, yeah, just pick the things you can do and run with it. It sounds like you are doing well too!

I am, but was freaked out a couple of weeks back when there was no weight loss for 5 weeks! Thank goodness, it started again and have lost 12 in the last two weeks. It's so weird because nothing has changed, guess it was just ready to lose again.

Thank you @Munchkin ! Ive never been so happy to be so wrong about something! I thought for sure that because I WAS a self diagnosed "Super Absorber", that I would only have limited success. I never thought that the "Man Factor" that you always refer to would apply to me....But, it damn sure did! No pics yet, I'll probably do that when I think I can see "bottom" so to speak.

How they do figure out if you're a super absorb-er? I have suspected that I am for years, but, am curious how they figure that out.

I believe the "body adapts" concept as well. When I had my revision Dr K showed me pathology from a patient who needed revised and had all 3 sections of SB. The BPL cells had clearly atrophied and it was interesting to see the other two limbs. The AL was strong but not as strong as the CC. Obviously the body had compensated.

BTW, do you know your 3 lengths?

The adapting thing scares me! It is great evolutionary wise, but, not so great for us. Please, please, please body do not figure out how to undo this! Have heard it takes from 10 to 15 years for the mucous layers to start thickening and absorbing more calories.

How they do figure out if you're a super absorb-er? I have suspected that I am for years, but, am curious how they figure that out.
I personally don't believe that in general there is anything such as a super absorber unless one has long CC & AL limbs relative to the BPL. As Dr K likes to say, it is a simple matter of square inches of AL & CC that a person has available to absorb nutrition. So if one has long non BPL channels they in general are going to absorb more than someone with shorter channels.

I do believe that over time absorption picks up and maxes out, but I don't ever think it will be close to what it was when we had the other 50% of our small intestine (what is now the bilopancreatic limb).

I personally don't believe that in general there is anything such as a super absorber unless one has long CC & AL limbs relative to the BPL. As Dr K likes to say, it is a simple matter of square inches of AL & CC that a person has available to absorb nutrition. So if one has long non BPL channels they in general are going to absorb more than someone with shorter channels.

I do believe that over time absorption picks up and maxes out, but I don't ever think it will be close to what it was when we had the other 50% of our small intestine (what is now the bilopancreatic limb).

I would be curious to know what the lengths were before surgery as one of my doctors had said years ago that she was shocked at how quickly I could gain and she wondered at the time if I had the famine survivor gene. Of course, later, they debunked that whole idea.

Honestly, there are still too many factors in the way we gain and lose to pinpoint exactly why some gain so easily. I know there is way more to it than the overly simplified calories in/calories out. When younger, no one had talked about sleep playing a role in weight loss and now, we know that too little sleep can cause weight gain. Looking at pictures of myself at three with rolls of fat on my upper arms, and can't help but wonder what happened to the baby that was born 6 pounds, something ounces? Everyone on both sides of family struggled with weight, but, none to the same extent as I always was the biggest in the family.

Am so grateful that my insurance was willing to pay for this and that husband's insurance years ago was not because all I knew then was the GB. Also, grateful that this is working, sugars are the best they have ever been, and am feeling a lot better. Blood pressure is still high, but, am hoping that will resolve eventually.

Many folks on here have coined the term “Super Absorber”. I don’t think I started it, but, I’ve probably used that term more than anyone. As far as I know, it is NOT an official diagnosis, BUT one that people whom never over ate and gained weight know exists.

A calorie is a unit of measurement based on energy expended or available to be expended and is SUPPOSE to be a mathematical and physics constant that is non-negotiable, it can NOT lie, right, its science, its MATH, it’s one of the basics of what we Engineers call the “Laws of Thermodynamics”. According to the very fundamental laws of Thermodynamics, a calorie is a unit of measurement, a unit of potential energy that is available to be expended or stored. 3500 calories = 1 lb either gained or lost, i.e., excess or deficit. Someone my PREVIOUS size had to eat 3,000+ calories a day to maintain, (allegedly)…LOL…LOL…LOL. I could only eat 500-800-(1000 on weekends) calories (PER DAY OR I WOULD GAIN WEIGHT), puts me in in a 2,200 caloric deficit per day. Per this mathematical constant, which is non-negotiable according to the Laws of science and math that they go by, I should be losing about .50 - .75lbs a day.

That is why Doctors, Science people etc don’t believe you…AND ME! For reasons science has yet to understand, those scientific standards are BULLSHIT! Those of us whom have metabolic disease/disorders do not work that way. When we eat, we store fat, not burn. I believe It is the same survival mechanisms in place that allows a bear to hibernate for 6 months or allows a turtle to live to be 200 yrs old. Did you ever wonder how a whale can become 95% FAT and Blubber when all it eats is plankton and fish??? SAME MECHANISM, I believe this store gene is in a lot of us because ancestors come from places where food was limited. And when they could feed every couple weeks, their bodies stored everything, it is a store gene of yet to be identified.

For 35+ years, I also made the situation worse by not eating much so as to NOT gain even more weight and it becomes a self-replicating downward spiral because the less you eat, the more your body adapts and goes even more deeper in to the “self-preservation” mode thus lowering your metabolism even more. It’s a downward spiral you can NOT get out of, it was friggin horrible how I had to live my life looking back on it.

Regarding your recent WL….I’d be willing to bet you $100 bucks that you were in your first stall which is usually the biggest one. I believe the first one has the longest duration because it is the first time in 30+ years (for me) that your body is actually burning stored fat and it is LITERALLY learning how to do it. Again, MY THEORY and not proven. The reason you don’t appear to be losing weight during that time period (but you actually really still are, IMHO), is because your body is gaining around 3-8lbs (1 gallon of water =8lbs or so) of water to do this conversion thing to convert stored fat to energy that Diana goes in to detail describing in the “Inevitable 3 week stall” post. The WL all of a sudden shows up AFTER your body is done doing that conversion, because you expel the excess water weight, and subsequently unveil the actual WL that had occurred during that period.

The next time it happened to me, after I/we figured it out, I never worried about it anymore after that and would just laugh about it because I could actually feel it a knew what my body was doing. I have had SEVERAL stalls. Little ones and big ones and I always know that it is that because I slow down on my urinating and my urine is yellow..AND, nothing sounds good to me to eat.…

Now that you know FOR SURE what it was and that your DS is NOT broken, you will be ok on the next one.

Last edited:

Hey Scott, you just made my day! I can FINALLY say I gotcha my friend :sneaky: and that you are 10000000000% wrong regarding your "Super Absorber" beliefs. How do I know??? Because I flippin lived in a nightmare of only eating 500-800 calories per day it for over 35+ yrs. IF I WENT OVER THAT.....I could gain 2-5 lbs per day.

Latest posts

Back