My (Robs), New Update 7+ Months Post-Op

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
Ok, it’s been a while since I posted an update. I’ve been REAL super busy helping with getting my daughter back to school, work, life etc…You all know the drill. Anyway, I have so much to say I don’t really know where to start and will probably break this up into several posts since I tend to get LOOOONG winded.

I’m at 7 months and 2 wks post op and have lost 123 lbs total WL, including 13 pre-op. That’s 3.66 lbs per week avg for 30 weeks.

When I started out this journey, I did not want to get any lower than 230 and I just hit that # today. I’ve always said that I need to determine (haha) my final # by having a body fat analysis (hydro-stat test), done and plan on having that done within a few weeks or so. When I was 230 in the early 90’s I was at 17% body fat. I won’t be that now for sure, but…I’d like to know. Allowing for some bounce back, I really don’t want to go below 220, so, we’ll see.

Regarding what @Jen-2 said about the aversions to certain types of food, they have been the biggest surprise as well as the biggest challenge for me. Two KEY words here have helped me through it…”Flexible and adapt”. It’s the most bizarre thing. I can’t eat chicken, garlic, Ham, Hamburgers and worst of all is Bacon. If (when) my Wife cooks bacon, I literally have to leave the house or I’ll get nauseous.

I can’t eat smoked meats of ANY kind and just recently lost part of my “Manhood” by giving up and just selling my really nice Gator pit.

BUT…those are THE worst parts of anything even remotely bad to happen and in the grand scheme of things, they mean very little. I have been SO VERY LUCKY compared to a lot of others and I realize that.

What I can and DO eat is, Rib-eye steaks, Filet Mignon (when it’s on sale), Lobster, Crabs, fish, a boatload of shrimp, fish, pork chops, corn drowning in butter…lol, Cheese, (mostly fresh parmesan) etc, SO….I am NOT hurting, as said, just needed to adapt. Yes, I sold my smoker, BUT with that money bought a brand new propane grill which I can handle just fine, so, again, adaptation.

My theory on some of these food aversions are that I think they have something to do with that conversion mechanism, the one responsible for the periodic stalls where fat is converted to energy instead of being stored. I’ve said many times that I can literally feel it when this starts to happen and turn in to an even pickier eater as my aversions become heightened.

I feel great and I’m swimming 2-3 times per week, bicycling twice a week or so and living my life instead of watching it pass me by. It’s kind of surreal and feels really weird because I’m still the same person inside and feel like that fat guy still in my brain. No more arthritis in my legs, no leg and lower back pain, no more NSAID’s, no more blood pressure meds, no more psoriasis, nothing. I feel at least 20, maybe even 30 yrs younger. And, “Grisweld” is no longer in hiding:D:D:D!!!!!

I’m going to dedicate another post to some of my philosophical and mental aspects of all this as well as to go more in detail on the countless joys changes and new unexpected challenges that having this surgery has already brought to my life.

One example is just last weekend, we went to Schlitterbahn Water Park and I was able to climb and ride ALL the water slides and rides with my Daughter. I climbed 4, 5, even six flight of stairs with no problem and for the first time ever was able to get in the game instead of watching on the side-lines….Its moments like that that tell you, “Hey wait a minute, did you see what I just did?”…again, still thinking like the fat guy.

Its also really weird having to eat all the time. If I’m not buying food or cooking food or eating food I’m expelling food…I swear to God, it’s been very strange to have to make time to do all that. In my previous life, I never cooked or ate breakfast or lunch and very little dinner. I cooked for the family and ate dinner, but have lived my entire adult life on 800 calories or so during the week and a little more on the weekends…NOT ANYMORE!

Doing OK on my Vits, irons a little low, but making a few adjustments there.

So, those are some of the highlights and will post more as I think about it and when I get some TIME when I'm NOT COOKING OR EATING….LOL….

Last edited:
Wow Rob - your progress is amazing and you're already at your original goal! CONGRATULATIONS!! I can relate to so much in your post. My husband and kids are shocked by how much I eat now. Leftovers are awesome so I don't have to cook every meal. My inner fat voice is still here too and won't let me get rid of any of my clothes yet. I just keep expecting to start the regain at any minute. It's so great to hear you are active and living your life! I'm so happy for you! :D Congrats on "Grisweld" too! ;)

Thanks for sharing! Glad that things have gone so well for you. Looking forward to your next installment . . . . . in between the cooking and eating.

Awesome! Just be prepared for still more changes with food aversions in the future, meaning that you will probably have less aversions as time goes on. For example, it was a long, long time before I could eat hamburger. Steak no problem, but couldn't manage hamburger. And I love hamburgers! But eventually I got to where I could eat and enjoy them again.
Keep up the great work!

You are doing incredibly well Rob. I am very happy for you, and I must admit slightly jealous because you are really living life. Hopefully once I fully heal from my revision and infection (BTW I just found out from some lab results that I saw the other day that they said I was Septic when in hospital for the infection...nobody told me that) I get back my energy and will be able start building back muscle mass.

One point on the not wanting to go below 230. I know you may not want that, but your body and DS in particular is going to take you where it will. You are kind of along for the ride, but from what I hear those numerous years out, you will bounce back.

Ok, it’s been a while since I posted an update. I’ve been REAL super busy helping with getting my daughter back to school, work, life etc…You all know the drill. Anyway, I have so much to say I don’t really know where to start and will probably break this up into several posts since I tend to get LOOOONG winded.

I’m at 7 months and 2 wks post op and have lost 123 lbs total WL, including 13 pre-op. That’s 3.66 lbs per week avg for 30 weeks.

When I started out this journey, I did not want to get any lower than 230 and I just hit that # today. I’ve always said that I need to determine (haha) my final # by having a body fat analysis (hydro-stat test), done and plan on having that done within a few weeks or so. When I was 230 in the early 90’s I was at 17% body fat. I won’t be that now for sure, but…I’d like to know. Allowing for some bounce back, I really don’t want to go below 220, so, we’ll see.

Regarding what @Jen-2 said about the aversions to certain types of food, they have been the biggest surprise as well as the biggest challenge for me. Two KEY words here have helped me through it…”Flexible and adapt”. It’s the most bizarre thing. I can’t eat chicken, garlic, Ham, Hamburgers and worst of all is Bacon. If (when) my Wife cooks bacon, I literally have to leave the house or I’ll get nauseous.

I can’t eat smoked meats of ANY kind and just recently lost part of my “Manhood” by giving up and just selling my really nice Gator pit.

BUT…those are THE worst parts of anything even remotely bad to happen and in the grand scheme of things, they mean very little. I have been SO VERY LUCKY compared to a lot of others and I realize that.

What I can and DO eat is, Rib-eye steaks, Filet Mignon (when it’s on sale), Lobster, Crabs, fish, a boatload of shrimp, fish, pork chops, corn drowning in butter…lol, Cheese, (mostly fresh parmesan) etc, SO….I am NOT hurting, as said, just needed to adapt. Yes, I sold my smoker, BUT with that money bought a brand new propane grill which I can handle just fine, so, again, adaptation.

My theory on some of these food aversions are that I think they have something to do with that conversion mechanism, the one responsible for the periodic stalls where fat is converted to energy instead of being stored. I’ve said many times that I can literally feel it when this starts to happen and turn in to an even pickier eater as my aversions become heightened.

I feel great and I’m swimming 2-3 times per week, bicycling twice a week or so and living my life instead of watching it pass me by. It’s kind of surreal and feels really weird because I’m still the same person inside and feel like that fat guy still in my brain. No more arthritis in my legs, no leg and lower back pain, no more NSAID’s, no more blood pressure meds, no more psoriasis, nothing. I feel at least 20, maybe even 30 yrs younger. And, “Grisweld” is no longer in hiding:D:D:D!!!!!

I’m going to dedicate another post to some of my philosophical and mental aspects of all this as well as to go more in detail on the countless joys changes and new unexpected challenges that having this surgery has already brought to my life.

One example is just last weekend, we went to Schlitterbahn Water Park and I was able to climb and ride ALL the water slides and rides with my Daughter. I climbed 4, 5, even six flight of stairs with no problem and for the first time ever was able to get in the game instead of watching on the side-lines….Its moments like that that tell you, “Hey wait a minute, did you see what I just did?”…again, still thinking like the fat guy.

Its also really weird having to eat all the time. If I’m not buying food or cooking food or eating food I’m expelling food…I swear to God, it’s been very strange to have to make time to do all that. In my previous life, I never cooked or ate breakfast or lunch and very little dinner. I cooked for the family and ate dinner, but have lived my entire adult life on 800 calories or so during the week and a little more on the weekends…NOT ANYMORE!

Doing OK on my Vits, irons a little low, but making a few adjustments there.

So, those are some of the highlights and will post more as I think about it and when I get some TIME when I'm NOT COOKING OR EATING….LOL….

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and cannot wait to get that energy myself! It's hard to adjust to all the food now. Though, my app says am at about 2200 most days and inner fat girl thinks, uh-oh, am trying to relax and focus on the proteins and fat. Like you, I ate very little, though, always breakfast and lunch, and still gained. Got so sick of doctors and others telling about calories in and out, and felling like everyone was sure I had a stash of cookies everywhere. Finally, feel like this surgery fixed whatever was broken.

Am so glad you are feeling energy and living the life you were meant to live. A neighbor said the other day that she wished she was big enough to do it the easy way and have the surgery to lose weight. I told her it isn't easy, it was a necessity to fix the thing that kept the weight coming on even though not enough calories were going in to create it. This was not the size that was meant to be and this needed fixing like any other medical problem.

Some foods are difficult for me, as well. When husband cooks sausage, the smell is nauseating! However, love bacon and any fatty meat these days. Chicken, which I used to love is difficult to choke down these days. It's just too dry. Love spam and pork ribs (the fattier, the better) but, I do not like ham, either.

Keep loving life and enjoying your new well being!

You are doing incredibly well Rob. I am very happy for you, and I must admit slightly jealous because you are really living life. Hopefully once I fully heal from my revision and infection (BTW I just found out from some lab results that I saw the other day that they said I was Septic when in hospital for the infection...nobody told me that) I get back my energy and will be able start building back muscle mass.

One point on the not wanting to go below 230. I know you may not want that, but your body and DS in particular is going to take you where it will. You are kind of along for the ride, but from what I hear those numerous years out, you will bounce back.

Seriously?!? They did not tell you that you were septic!?! How did you find out?

Wow Rob - your progress is amazing and you're already at your original goal! CONGRATULATIONS!! I can relate to so much in your post. My husband and kids are shocked by how much I eat now. Leftovers are awesome so I don't have to cook every meal. My inner fat voice is still here too and won't let me get rid of any of my clothes yet. I just keep expecting to start the regain at any minute. It's so great to hear you are active and living your life! I'm so happy for you! :D Congrats on "Grisweld" too! ;)

So feel you on the inner fat person waiting to regain comment!

Seriously?!? They did not tell you that you were septic!?! How did you find out?
I was on a high power IV antibiotic so I was being treated, but I found out from a note on the Interventional Radiology report that finally showed up Tuesday on my portal for this hospital system.

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and cannot wait to get that energy myself! It's hard to adjust to all the food now. Though, my app says am at about 2200 most days and inner fat girl thinks, uh-oh, am trying to relax and focus on the proteins and fat. Like you, I ate very little, though, always breakfast and lunch, and still gained. Got so sick of doctors and others telling about calories in and out, and felling like everyone was sure I had a stash of cookies everywhere. Finally, feel like this surgery fixed whatever was broken.

Am so glad you are feeling energy and living the life you were meant to live. A neighbor said the other day that she wished she was big enough to do it the easy way and have the surgery to lose weight. I told her it isn't easy, it was a necessity to fix the thing that kept the weight coming on even though not enough calories were going in to create it. This was not the size that was meant to be and this needed fixing like any other medical problem.

Some foods are difficult for me, as well. When husband cooks sausage, the smell is nauseating! However, love bacon and any fatty meat these days. Chicken, which I used to love is difficult to choke down these days. It's just too dry. Love spam and pork ribs (the fattier, the better) but, I do not like ham, either.

Keep loving life and enjoying your new well being!
I didn't enjoy boneless chicken breast before because it didn't have much flavor to me, now I eat it all the time. Hamburgers are something that I still eat but sometimes they are not great.

Bacon, I hate the greasy almost burnt tasting kind you get at an IHOP but love the Kirkland Costco microwavable stuff.

Steak, I can easily eat a 12oz cut with some baked potato and a veggie like corn, home cooked green beans with bacon or grilled asparaus.

Sounds as if you're doing a great job.

I wasn't used to eating regularly, either. It took me a while to get used to scheduling 3 meals per day. I resented it. But I retrained myself (I don't mean I just eat 3 meals a day. I eat much more, but I ensure I get breakfast, lunch & dinner).

As for the food aversions, the only things that bothered me (the first year) were tomato sauce and sausages (not together). Once that passed, that was it. I never had an issue with anything else.

Once you realize who you are and what you really look like, it'll make life so much easier. Just to wake up and get dressed. Not have to think about it. Pass a window on the street, see your reflection and realize it's you! And then the secret smile....

Latest posts

Back