More2Adore's Updates

SO excited for you! Your life will be forever changed and never the same, but in a good way and what you deserve and have worked SO hard for.

So since surgery is over now and I'm home safe and sound (yay!) I thought I'd migrate back to this thread as well to keep most of my updates under one roof, so to speak. I wasn't going to weigh myself until two weeks out because I didn't want fluid weight from the surgery to discourage me, but then I got curious as to how MUCh fluid I'd gained... the day after I was released from the hospital I was already down 8 pounds. Crazy. And I've lost something every day since, even though "that time of the month" just started, so... down 11.6 pounds total, just a week and a day post-surgery. Not too shabby.

Still doing really well with everything except swallowing pills. I do it, it's just not fun. Last night it took me an hour to take my evening pills. I'm managing to get even the big multivites (they're gel capsules, though) down. The calcium citrate are the hugest TABLETS I have - I am going to try those again today, but they're enormous even cut in half. Haven't taken those in several days as the one time I tried it was hell.

Since I add protein powder to all three liquid meals I have each day, I've been getting about 90+ grams of protein in every day, which I'm obviously happy about. And counting the liquids in the meals I have, I've been getting in at least 64 oz. of water most days.

I noticed that my NUT's notes for the next (mushy foods) phase say I should be aiming for 500-700 calories. Right now I'm getting in about 800 a day with my three meals of soup or fruit smoothies (following nut's diet to the letter). I've decided I'm not going to worry about calories right now though as long as I'm getting in adequate protein. I'm going to assume from what I've read that it's going to be natural for me to hit about 500-700 calories once I've graduated to mushy foods where there's more restriction.

With the insane amount of travel we did yesterday I've been bushed today, but husband and I are going for walkies in just a bit. Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk! :)

Optifast Banana Shake, 1 serving:

207 calories, 17.5g protein, 4.5g fat, 22.5g carbs (17.8 of which are sugars), Dietary Fiber 3.6g. It's worse than the chocolate flavor, but not by much. Soups are about the same. The bars were even fattier/carbier.

Gold Standard WPI, Caramel Toffee Fudge, 1 serving:

120 Calories, 24g protein, 1.5g fat, 3g carbs (2 of which are sugars), Fiber 0.

I have a friend who previously used him as a surgeon who told me he got really upset when she told him she had used protein shakes instead of Optifast because that's not what he had recommended, and that he yelled at her and told her that's why her liver was so hard to manage during surgery. Of course, that's third-hand information I wasn't there for, so who knows what his take on it would be. But either way, I don't want to find myself in a position where I have to tell him I didn't follow the plan the NUT laid out exactly. :(
I use the ON protien shakes. They are DELICIOUS and so much better for you than that Opti crap! 23 carbs?!?! Thats crazy!!!

Wow, it sounds like you've already come a long, and have your head on straight about this. Looks like you're gonna rock this.

I use the ON protien shakes. They are DELICIOUS and so much better for you than that Opti crap! 23 carbs?!?! Thats crazy!!!

Yeah, agreed! Glad to be done with those now. :) I've been having issues with soups & shakes combined with unflavoured protein powder - it foams up a lot and the texture just makes me feel sick. So basically now I'm drinking two ON shakes a day with a double scoop of protein powder, plus whatever I want for lunch - soup or smoothie made with milk, but no protein powder. Doing this I'm getting in over 100g of protein a day. Thank goodness for that ON Caramel Toffee Fudge I bought! We're actually going to a nutrition place today to scope out some other ON flavors!

I haven't really been worried about how quickly or slowly I've been drinking my fluids - do I need to be more conscientious of this? Hubby's worried I'm going to stretch out my sleeve drinking my double-scoop protein shakes too fast, lol. It's my understanding that fluid just goes straight on down and won't stretch the stomach - does this include sort of thick, creamy soups/smoothies, too? Some have been kind of foamy (because of the protein powder being blended into them) and I will only be able to drink half or so before I have to give it a break for a few minutes. But I do listen to my body - any bit of discomfort at all and I wait before I drink any more.

Do I need to be focusing on drinking small sips instead of regular-sized swallows? I know everyone says sip, sip, sip, but I haven't really had to do that since my first 5 days post-op. I think hubby's worrying for nothing - but I want to make sure!

Oh, also, good news - today I hit 25 pounds down since surgery, less than two weeks ago, and 54.6 pounds down since I started my pre-op diet less than six weeks ago. :) 136.8 pounds lost total since January 2014.

Well, yes and no. It doesn't go straight through - you have a pyloric valve, and your stomach will get full. The stomach muscles won't have much to do to the liquids, however, so they WILL get dropped down pretty quickly, but - unless you are filling your stomach to FULL and past comfortable, you should not be stretching anything out.

Hmm... okay, in that case, I'll make sure I don't drink more than 4 oz. at once! I have felt discomfort a couple of times when I've gotten to about that point (and then immediately stopped drinking). Thanks @DianaCox! Hopefully I haven't messed anything up!

Great WL, congratulations! I do the same thing regarding the double scoop, and yes, I really only drink 4 oz and then I feel full and I wait about 20 mins or so and choke down the rest. I HATE that too full feeling, so I try to prevent it at all costs.

I don't think you need to worry about stretching with liquid, but I also don't think you need to be doing double protien shakes at your stage at all. I think you said you're doing 2 per day? Seems like overkill, especially since you're protein requirement is lower than it'll be when you have the second stage. Not that protein is bad, and it's good for your body when you're healing. Maybe I take it back? I dunno!

Thanks. It doesn't seem any harder for me to drink double-scoop shakes than it is single-scoop ones, so I guess I just figured the more protein the better? By all means let me know if I'm wrong on that!

Latest posts

Back