More2Adore's Updates

I haven't really been worried about how quickly or slowly I've been drinking my fluids - do I need to be more conscientious of this? Hubby's worried I'm going to stretch out my sleeve drinking my double-scoop protein shakes too fast, lol. It's my understanding that fluid just goes straight on down and won't stretch the stomach - does this include sort of thick, creamy soups/smoothies, too? Some have been kind of foamy (because of the protein powder being blended into them) and I will only be able to drink half or so before I have to give it a break for a few minutes. But I do listen to my body - any bit of discomfort at all and I wait before I drink any more.

Do I need to be focusing on drinking small sips instead of regular-sized swallows? I know everyone says sip, sip, sip, but I haven't really had to do that since my first 5 days post-op. I think hubby's worrying for nothing - but I want to make sure!

Oh, also, good news - today I hit 25 pounds down since surgery, less than two weeks ago, and 54.6 pounds down since I started my pre-op diet less than six weeks ago. :) 136.8 pounds lost total since January 2014.
I make a shake in my shaker cup, 2 scoops and water and half lactose free milk. I use ice cubes and take about an hour to drink the whole thing. I just add more ice if it gets warm. I drink one in the morning and one before bed. Try the double chocolate flavor it is DELISH!

I find if I mix the shake on low with no ice I get less foam. I hate the foam. I prefer my shakes to be choc milk-like.

I'm glad you are doing so well!

Thanks ladies! :) I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the protein shake foam, haha. We finally used up one of my 2 lb. containers of protein (the ON caramel toffee fudge) and ordered the Rocky Road flavor that was discussed on the protein powder thread. Hopefully it should be here any day! In the meantime, I'm dealing with the Syntrax Tropical Cooler as best I can. It's not BAD, it's just not my favorite. Taking the anti-nausea med in the mornings before I swallow anything else (well, except my thyroxine for my thyroid...that's technically first) really seems to be helping. It's not supposed to be effective more than like 8 hours, but it actually seems to get me through the whole day.

I'm so glad I have this forum - at about two weeks (a little under that, actually) my weight plateaued. Without this forum, I would have been thinking OH GOD IT'S OVER ALREADY I'VE BROKEN IT, haha. But as it is I'm thinking early three-week stall?

For the last five days the scale hasn't really moved... 463.2, 463.2, 464, 463.6, 463.4. I know I'm doing everything right... getting in enough fluids, walking, taking my vitamins, getting in my protein (though I have lightened up on myself given the advice I got here... I only got 50g in yesterday). I'm getting 500-700 calories most days. I was hoping to lose even more in the liquids phase since I knew it would probably slow once I hit solid foods, but I've already lost so much pre- and post-op, that I guess it was bound to level out for a while!

This is all what I'm trying to convince myself of, anyway. ;) By all means if anyone thinks I could be doing something better to get the scale moving again, let me know. I might try to get in more fluids today if I can manage it somehow. I've been getting in the bare minimum... maybe a little extra would be good IF I can do it without it being a problem.

Blasphemy I know.....

But consider putting away the scale and only weighing once week or so. You know what to do and you are doing it. Enjoy your life. Don't agonize over every quarter pound. Maybe weigh every Saturday morning when you get up?

Sorry, @Munchkin - if I were actually getting upset/discouraged about gains (instead of just going into "learn about it and make sure it's normal" mode) I'd totally do that. I enjoy being aware of how various things I do effect my body, though - I'm still learning about what can cause water weight gain, for example. I ignored the effect things had on my body for so many years that I really want to keep learning about it at this point. :) I'm sure I'll settle down about it at some point. ;)

On another note, started pureed foods last night. Eggs scrambled with a little cream cheese. Nice and moist. I started with 1/2 c., figuring I'd probably not be able to eat that much at this point. I would take a small bite, chew it up REALLY well, swallow, wait a minute, and take another small bite. Every time I swallowed I paid attention to see what I felt. I never felt anything except that very mild discomfort i feel in my esophagus when swallowing anything, even small pills right now. Then, when I got about 3 tbsps. short of the 1/2 c., I started feeling mild discomfort about where I thought my stomach was, so I stopped. I was surprised I had been able to get through that much. I was fine until like 30 minutes later, when I thought I was going to throw up. I got through it without vomiting, though, and then again had that same feeling 10 minutes later.

This morning I woke up choking on acid - definitely have to figure out something with my PPI. :( I see my surgeon next week - maybe he'll be able to suggest something better. My GP just suggested I double my current dose of Rabeprazole (I think it's called Aciphex in the US?) but 20mg is usually the max they RX for reflux and I'm already on that. His next suggestion was just OTC Gaviscon.

For breakfast today I managed to eat about 1/8 c. of hummus before I got horribly, horribly nauseated - again, thought I was gonna vomit. Managed to just barely hold it back though. Should I be eating MUCH less? Less than even 1/8 c.? Or is it just that my tummy doesn't like these foods specifically right this second? My surgeon's NUT gave me (of course) RNY advice so I have no clue how much pureed food I'm supposed to be consuming right now.

Dina Mcbride gave me the best advice at this point and it's good for you too.

Take one small bite. Wait 3 minutes. No cheating, use an egg timer if necessary.

Think. How do I feel? Am I still hungry? If I am still hungry, repeat step 1. If I am not, put the food away!!!!!!

This is especially true for you right now. You have no malabsorbtion yet. Listen to your body when it says no more!

You see the doc next week and you can discuss acid. Till then, take your script and eat a couple Tums at bedtime. Or the Gaviscon at bed time.

Yeah, did the Gaviscon at bedtime last night (in addition to the PPI) and still woke up chocking on acid. Guess I'll add Tums to the mix, too! Thanks. :) I did two minutes between bites (before I saw your post) earlier and was able to eat the rest of the hummus with no problems. Slow and steady wins the race! :)

I'm not familiar with the PPI you're taking but I take Prilosec OTC...the generic version for whatever reason didn't work for me.
The OTC is 20mg. My sleeve surgeon told me if 1 in the morning didn't do the trick for all day, that I could take a second one as needed. I never have the acid come up into my esophagus, I just get a burning in my tummy.
The other day I forgot to take it in the morning and I drank coffee and then ate some bacon. An hour or so later, my tummy was burning and I remembered to take it. A few hours later the burning was still there so I took a second one and it went away.

By the way, I needed them daily after my sleeve for a good while, but it got to the point where I didn't need it everyday. Before my revision, I was taking it maybe twice a week.
I hope that happens for you!

The whole idea is relearning when you are full and have had enough. Over the decades we learn how much is a meal/portion and then we change it surgically and have to figure it out all over again from ground zero. Maybe I would be skinny today if I had kept that 3 minute rule forever. We will never know!

The hard part for me is that the three-minute thing with egg timer is actually an eating disorder trigger for me. I've had enough therapy at this point that I'm able to cope with it just fine by making it two minutes and a clock in this situation instead, and reminding myself that the point is that I don't throw up (so there's a reason behind it)! My grandmother who raised me (and who is behind the eating disorder I developed) made me chew each bite 100 times, and wait 3 minutes (using an egg timer) between bites. She did this to me for years. I still can't even look at an egg timer these days without rolling my eyes, and she's gone now.

I can't wait until I can figure out what my full signal is. :) Until then I'm sticking with 1/4 c. of food at first. I managed to eat 1/4 c. of canned chili pureed with high-protein shredded cheese (found some of that here recently!) and a tsp. of sour cream and no nausea at all! :)

Wow @more2adore sounds like you are just trucking along. I had the reflux so bad I would wake up projectile vomiting and it would also be coming out of my nose. I take Protonix 2 times a day along with Pepsid 2 times a day. He really calmed down as time progressed.

The hard part for me is that the three-minute thing with egg timer is actually an eating disorder trigger for me. I've had enough therapy at this point that I'm able to cope with it just fine by making it two minutes and a clock in this situation instead, and reminding myself that the point is that I don't throw up (so there's a reason behind it)! My grandmother who raised me (and who is behind the eating disorder I developed) made me chew each bite 100 times, and wait 3 minutes (using an egg timer) between bites. She did this to me for years. I still can't even look at an egg timer these days without rolling my eyes, and she's gone now.
That's awful! I wouldn't want to use the egg timer either.

Latest posts

Back