When Eating Hurts

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
Many times I have seen others here write that they can not eat anything without pain, distress, or vomiting. I have to admit that I was skeptical. I thought, "it must be WHAT they are eating." I have been so careful and compliant since my surgery and except for a few "too full episodes," Esophagus issues, and gallbladder attacks, I was doing great. All those things were explainable and treatable.

Now, since my recent surgery nightmare I am finding that almost everything I eat or drink hurts for at least a few minutes. I can eat eggs and meat without pain or distress most of the time. It seems like later in the day everything hurts. Even water!

I have begun to wonder if some combination of my VITES is causing any of this. I am under a doctors care, taking a high dose ppi, and a probiotic each day. I am consuming primarily protein with a few veggies and carbs on the side. I am having medical tests next week to make sure I have not developed ulcers or any kind of stricture. I just want to be proactive and feel good again. Any ideas or experiences will be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry I hope they find out what is causing it. It may help Me. My stomach hurts all the time. It's probably adjusting to eating something besides soft foods after 15 years of not eating most solids.

I have been reading up on taking Zinc. It's most often recommended not to take zinc with Iron. What about Copper and potassium?

Iron KILLS my belly. Mega bellyache, followed by constipation. Hence my reliance on infusions.

I can't take my multis on an empty stomach.

No I can't either but I haven't been doing that. I feel like this might be some simple fix if I could just figure it out. On the other hand maybe I just need to be patient.

I have been reading up on taking Zinc. It's most often recommended not to take zinc with Iron. What about Copper and potassium?

Zinc is notorious for causing stomach distress. Try not taking it for a couple days to see if it makes a difference. If it's that, you can try a different brand or type of zinc to see if that makes a difference.

Have discovered I can not drink fluid milk without pain. Today I did great until evening. Thanks for the suggestions. I believe that I need to trouble shoot this and see what is irritating me, when and in what combinations. Because I can go for hours feeling great and eating a meal or two without distress I am sure it is my system reacting to something I am consuming. I will figure this out!!

Have discovered I can not drink fluid milk without pain. Today I did great until evening. Thanks for the suggestions. I believe that I need to trouble shoot this and see what is irritating me, when and in what combinations. Because I can go for hours feeling great and eating a meal or two without distress I am sure it is my system reacting to something I am consuming. I will figure this out!!
Y'know, the idea that milk "soothes the stomach" is pretty much a myth. Once upon a time I read a great article, probably via NPR, about this. Sorry I don't have time to hunt it down and post it. We grownups, at least (perhaps kids beyond a certain age as well?) would probably be better served by not using milk as a beverage any more. There are lots of other good uses for it, and we have the whole panoply of fermented dairy foods to enjoy :).

I JUST wish I could use regular milk in cooking...I have to use half & half at a minimum. I never was much of a milk drinker altho an occasional glass of cold milk with chocolate chip cookies was nirvana!

I was told years ago that milk was not good for an ulcer or stomach pain as many thought. I knew someone who had a lactose intolerance and used heavy cream mixed with a third part water instead of milk. She swore it gave her no problems. I have definitely developed a sensitivity to dairy even my beloved yogurt and cheese. Hopefully it will be temporary again.

I am a bit embarrassed but also hopeful to discover that the way I have been taking zinc supliments and multiple vitamins containing iron, might be at the root of my recent return of stomach pain. I have no doubts that the SOD left it's mark, but I have modified my other habits to make sure I am not adding to the problem. Had a pain free day today. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back