When did you hit goal?

Yup, what is goal? There are as many answers as there are people here.

If you're talking about weight, the number on the scale, I think many people set goal at a normal BMI. It's important to understand that is not realistic for everyone. Average weight loss with a DS is about 80-85% of excess weight. Some lose more, some lose less.

BMI isn't as meaningful (it's arguable if it ever is), but so much less so to us once we become morbidly obese. Our bones and vascular system get heavier. We have excess skin. Lots of people feel they look too gaunt and sickly at a "normal" BMI if they lose down to it.

Everyone is individual. It's also not a race. I've seen people lose fast, and bounce back. I've seen people slowly drift down. I've seen everything in between. It really doesn't matter.

Hi every1 thanx for your responses. I only get a chance once a day here and there to jump on. Wow, a lot more replies then I could have imaged all great too. :)
My goal is a number which I don’t think is a horrible thing. I have really only had an NSV here or there but nothing that hasn’t happened to me the last two times I lost large amounts of weight. (250+ lbs) and (120+lbs)
And since I was recently in the last ten years at that weight of 145. And I felt great at then. I actually felt thin. At 170 I am still considered overweight, and to be honest I feel fat. My “normal" BMI is at 164. My goal is that good feeling of being my happy weight. J
EN my health in general has always been fine... though super morbidly obese, I have never had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, high cholesterol. I had no comorbities at any time even at 375+ I was active even at almost 400 lbs.
I am running the 10 miler for me to accomplish a goal. The running for me helps me stay fit. I just mentioned it with the loosing of the rest of my weight because of conditioning to get ready for the race will make me more active and may help take off more pounds. And hopefully get to my happy weight.

Well, okay, but what if the scale never budges again? Are you going to define yourself as a failure because you didn't "make goal"?

You have more tissue on your body than does someone who was never fat. That skews the scale numbers. Are you going to let that mess with your head forever?

If you were to at least ADD something to your definition of "success," along with the stupid scale number, it would mess less with your head. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying about running the ten-miler here? Geeze, I would consider that to be the NSV of all NSV's and celebrate it LOTS more than some number a machine spits at me!

Making your happiness dependent on a specific weight is an outstanding way to severely limit your happiness.

It does sound depressing don't it..... I guess I should rephrase my goal... Meeting my personal happy weight goal is to focus on getting there before two years out. (while I'm still close enough to the honeymoon stage) that's my focus for now. ** My long term Goal is to stay healthy and within a year run my first marathon :). **

That does indeed sound more well rounded and realistic. But I ask again: What if you never lose another ounce? What if you have bounceback, and you can still run marathons? Are you going to deem yourself a failure and live a life obsessed with scale numbers?

I continued to lose for three years, the first year was fast and intense then it was a slow and steady gradual thing. I would suggest building regular weight baring exercise into your life for your bone density alone. It is harder to lose from a revision but it does happen. Get your carbs right down, your fat right up and move. You'll settle at your body's ideal weight.

I had no goal weight, my surgeon suggested one to me and I thought he'd fell out of a tree. I never considered a scale weight. MY reasoning for having WLS was for better health and hopefully to keep all co-morbs in check. I had two babies and wanted to be able to play with them and not be on the sidelines. As I lost weight a goal became a size 10-12 in pants (I don't ever recall wearing less than a 14 prior to WLS). I surpassed that and cried like a baby in the dressing room at Foley's.

I did reach my surgeon's goal weight at 9 months out. I had RNY, virgin surgery....no complications. Today I continue to use the scale as one of the tools of maintenance. I do NOT obsess about the number when it reach my high limit I change my eating to more limited choices.

I believe the scale can be your friend or your enemy. Other goals....clothes size, your NSV goals, your better health can all be friends. I'm going to also recommend you not be bound on reaching 145 lbs because you weighed that number before and liked it. If it doesn't happen, how are you going to feel? If the high end of your BMI is 165 lbs you are SO close to that number I feel you'll get there this early out. I'd recommend you make 165 lbs your weight goal and anything beyond that is lagniappe. Good luck and congrats on running!!!

I totally agree about setting a higher goal weight. I never in a trillion years thought I'd end up where I am. My body just naturally decided where it wanted to be- if at some point it decides to add 10 pounds or so, I'd be okay with that too. Most people gain some as they get older, and I expect I'll be the same.

I didn't have a number goal. I actually did not believe I would lose all of my excess weight. I had surgery for my co-morbs, mainly to get rid of the diabetes. I did get to a size 12 and stayed there for so long, I thought I was finished losing and I was fine with that and bought a boat-load of new clothes. Then in years 2-3 I lost 35 more pounds. It was a bonus and I was not unhappy about it but I was not doing back flips or anything. I did back-flips when I got rid of all of my Rx meds. (well, in my mind) I attribute most of my attitude to my age and maybe, probably would have thought differently if I had been in my 30's or 40's instead of 52. I was over the moon that I may live longer, being skinny is a bonus. :biggrin: I am happy that I have stayed at this weight and I am 8.5 years out. I would hate to have to re-buy clothes for the third time.

Latest posts

Back