When did you hit goal?

CSerwalt

Third Time is a Charm!
Hi Everyone, I'm 14 month post op as of 01/28/2014. I was a revision from RNY to DS
done by Dr. Greenbaum. I currently weigh 170 lbs my starting surgery weight was 286 lbs for a loss of 116 lbs! Which is Super Awesome :) But I’m not yet at my Surgeon’s goal of 165, nor my own goal of 145 (I have been this weight before as an adult)
My question is when did you get to goal? And how are you maintaining?
My weightless as slowed so much. At 9 months post op I was 186.. that’s only 16 lbs lost in 5 months.. I am fighting so hard.. I want to be further from 200 lbs, so that if I have bounce back its still away from 200. being 170... 20lbs back is 190 too close for comfort for me.
My new goal to help hit my weight goal is I'm in training to run The Philadelphia, Broad Street Run
(10 miles) in May. Hope to run :)

Welcome, CSerwalt! :welcome1:

You will get almost as many answers as there are members.

I'm a lightweight. I reached normal BMI at 7 months then stalled for 5 months. Then I dropped some more. I'm three years out now and have had some bounce back but am still at 100% EW.

Liz

I never set an actual scale number goal. It may sound odd, but I made it a priority not to do things the same way with my DS that I did with my RNY. I obsessed over scale numbers with my RNY and it just made me miserable. I decided just to let my body do it's thing and be happy wherever I landed. My meeting "goal" came more from what I could do instead of what a scale told me. I've played on playground equipment by 1 year out. Rode amusement park rides at a year and some months out. I'm cool with that.

Congrats on the awesome 116 pounds weight loss.

It doesn't matter when I met my goal, or when anyone else meets their goal (or doesn't meet it).

I do have one question for you -- are you healthy?

Good luck with your training for your run in May - those are the things that matter.

My original goal for myself was under 175 (I couldn't imagine going any lower than that). I reached that in Month 9.
My doctor's goal for me was a normal BMI under 150 and I reached that at Month 12.
My body decided to quit losing consistently at Month 20.
I'm maintaining very easily since then at around 130. I still weigh monthly and I'm 3 1/2 years out (42 months). My monthly weight over the past 1 1/2 years (since I've been maintaining) has swung from 126-136. Last month I weighed 130- my weigh in day is the 6th so I'll see in a couple days what this month's weight is.

I'm 7 years post-op. I never hit goal. I stopped losing at 7 months post-op still needing to lose another 50 pounds to reach a normal BMI. While the DS statistics show it to have the highest percentage of weight loss there is no guarantee that everybody is going to lose all of their excess weight. Doctors consider anything over 50% EWL to be a surgical success. My best advice to you would be to do everything you can to lose as much weight as possible and then be diligent at keeping an eye on what you eat to maintain your loss.

I'm another one who never made it to normal BMI. And most likely never will. And I'm more than 10 years post.

My best advice is to lose as much as possible, as fast as possible. Try for 10% below goal to accommodate bounceback.

Throughout my years of dieting, I had an arbitrary number in my head. This represented the number I was in high school when I was competitive riding and exercising tons and not eating very much. When I had my DS almost four years ago (April 2010) I was still in that mindset and similar to Paula's description of her experience above, it screwed with my head a little...until at about six months post-op when my weight loss began to slow down, I realized that I was no longer 14-16 years of age, my metabolism was broken from the years of dieting and I was never going to be that size six again in fact I never even got to single digit sizes. I re-evaluated that number to one I could live with hit that number eight months post-op and started concentrating on what I *could* accomplish. No, I was never going to be like my family members who are all tiny, I am a throwback to my ancestors who were meant to have babies, work in the fields in not so nice conditions and survive. But I could make it so that I was able to run around with the energizer bunnies that represent my niece and nephew, fit into an airplane seat with room to spare, fit into a bus seat, get my cholesterol and other numbers down to manageable levels *without* medications.
I focus on protein first, then everything else as I have room, try to get as much fluid in as possible and exercise. Even at nearly four years out, as long as I focus on those things what weight I put on when I succumb to a craving or eat crap instead of protein I find that I can stay close to my goal and more importantly those NSV's.

Congrats on the weight loss and the plan to run! I participated in a fitness challenge that was sponsored through work last summer and it was great fun! And something that I couldn't have done before surgery.

I never set an actual scale number goal. It may sound odd, but I made it a priority not to do things the same way with my DS that I did with my RNY. I obsessed over scale numbers with my RNY and it just made me miserable.

This. Except VSG not RNY. I was obsessed with numbers...weighing several times a day. This time, what's done is done (meaning no more surgery) so will be weighing once a week at most in the beginning just to make sure my diet doesn't need tweaking. It's a personal marathon, not a competitive sprint :) You will get there just keep on truckin. :) You have done so well already!!!!

Let's see.. a bit under a year to go from 264 day of surgery to sub 155 (goal was 155 or under, normal BMI, and lowest I ever was able to D&E myself to years and years prior..) Highest ever was 310+ (stopped weighing..)

I kept losing to sub 135.. which looked bad. I try to stay about 145ish, plus or minus a few.. Been maintaining pretty well, save for some fluctuations outside my mid 140/high 140's range over holidays and vacations from uber-indulgent behaviours. I don't weigh as much as I used to (became obsessive.)

I eat healthy, high fat, high veg, low-no sugar and some nice meat, and try to keep my jeans fitting my ass.. I draw the line at buying a bigger size. My 8's have been loose, they are tight now.. that's my benchmark. If I feel well, skin looks good, not looking sickly or puffy, I'm ok. Just trying to be as normal as I can.

C., what on earth does a weight number have to do with whether or not you can run many miles? How about making the ability to run the goal instead of the number on the scale?

I know I've said this kind of thing to you a bunch of times in a bunch of different places. I find it unfortunate that you do not engage on this topic or other topics involving your HEALTH, choosing instead to disappear from the conversation until you're ready to come back and worry about scale numbers some more.

I hope you will follow a different pattern on this forum.

Hi there,
First congratulations on your success. Training for a run of 10 miles is amazing.

I revised RNY to DS 12/10/12. I had surgical complications that kept me from eating food for 2 months then I stated slowly on food. I think this helped jump start me on loss. My surgeon and I never talked about a goal. I never asked how much I would lose. As an Adult I have never been under 160. At surgery I was 240 and reached my personal goal of 150 in 9 months (I think). When I saw him for my 9 mo check-in he said ok you do not need to lose anymore weight. Well I have. At almost 14 months out I have been fluctuating between 125-130. I am not sure if I will lose more or bounce back. I struggle with food somedays but not like I used to. While I still have tiny tummy days I am finally eating normal amounts of food and get in almost all Vits. I just take it one day at a time.
Best,
Whitney

Which goal? Healthy labs and no more statins? Normal sized clothes? Weighing less than my husband? Less than 200? There were all kinds of goals.

Latest posts

Back