What does a good protein supplement look like?

harrietvane

I've picked up a range of brand names while reading this forum of protein powders and shakes. Unfortunately, what's available to me in Singapore is a very different kettle of fish.

Is there a 'recipe' of what a good protein supplement looks like? I'd really prefer to try to find something that works that I can source here, rather than shipping everything from the US.

This was my go to when I lived in Australia: http://www.isowhey.com.au/products/shakes/IsoWhey-Banana-Smoothie . There's a practitioner prescription one too, but I won't be able to access that.

How does something like Isowhey stack up? What should I be looking for when hunting for supplementary protein?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

I'm jealous. I would love to know what it's like to live in Singapore! Perhaps once you are feeling better you could post pictures of a day in your life!

One of the most important things you need to know is that protein supplements do NOT have the salts/electrolytes you need to live. If you rely on supplements for a lot of your intake you must also supplement salt, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Supplements are meant to be something you ingest in addition to a 'regular' diet. You can also find meal replacement shakes. The meal replacement label is the key that tells you it's possible to live on it and it includes everything you need.

Me personally, I hate loathe and despise the smell and taste of whey products. If you can stand them, my hat's off to you! So I guess most important is finding one you can choke down. Next, you are looking for something that has complete proteins. I understand about the cost and availability issues. Many people here have the same problem. What can you find locally at big box and healthfood stores?

While I was on the hunt for that perfect product, I would experiment on my own. Do a great chicken broth and turn it into egg drop soup. You could even blend in the chicken. Same thing with maybe a fish stew. Most anything you make will probably taste better than that powdered sludge.

Some use shakes a lot. Others rarely or never. There is no right and wrong it's what works well for you. There is no way a newbie DSer will get in all the necessary protein right away. The general rule is 30gr at 30 days, 60 at 60, and 90 at 90. Your body has reserves and you are using them. As you heal and get used to eating and drinking again it will all get easier. I know it's hard to believe now but the day will come when it's all automatic and you don't even think about your DS anymore!

I found the Isowhey pretty tasty, and I'm just looking for something to supplement as I work up to my protein goals and when real life makes it hard to get a bite to eat.

Not the best picture, but the view from my apartment @ 5.40am attached! Jet lag is still killing me, so I've been up since 3.30.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get unflavored protein powder? Then you could just mix with chicken broth (no letter than 140 degrees) or other foods.

Just a few thoughts on your Isowhey:

A little light in protein for a protein drink. Most are 20+.

Xylitol is the 3rd ingredient. A lot of DSers have trouble with the sugar alcohols (-itols). If you don't, great.

If you mix it with milk (and some DSers develop lactose intolerance), the carbs will soar.

@Clematis, I'm really not a fan of soups and broths, so I will be stopping these soon as humanly possible. I'm after something I can also keep in my desk at work as a backup.

Thanks for the analysis on the Isowhey... Guess I'll keep looking! :)

People stir unflavored protein powders into many things: cottage cheese, yogurt, coffee, crystal lite -- anything moist enough to liquify it. (I don't -- that whey smell/taste is apparent to me.)

Your Isowhey may work fine for you if you're not sensitive to the -itols or milk.

Good luck finding something.

If a whey isolate is hard to locate, try an egg or soy protein powder. And you may find your tastes changing as regards to broths.

The best protein shake is one you drink and one you can afford.

Thanks for the picture! Amazing view.

As long as you are drinking enough, don't stress too much about protein.

So you don't love soups. How about doing the powder mixed into SF pudding? Assuming milk goes down well for you! That was one of the least noxious uses of whey I was able to find. The easiest way I was able to mix it was do the powder and milk first, then add the SF pudding.

My eat on the run foods are jerky, deli meat, and cheese. I almost always have hardboiled eggs and either chicken or tuna salad in the fridge.

I prefer egg white protein in a shake mix. But not Jay Robb brand because that uses sugar alcohols to sweeten. I may be a psych case, but whey is from milk, and I think I process egg white protein better than whey-based proteins.

Now... @Barb1 was going to try just plain powdered egg white protein...not a shake mix...no flavors, no sweeteners...just protein. But I don't remember her review.

Egg white protein is, I think, the protein against which others are measured. If you have no egg allergies, you might just get some hens...lol.

Latest posts

Back