Do We Borrow Trouble?

I had another talk with The Boy (tm) tonight and now he claims he didn't say anything of the sort... after I showed him that pic above. Now he's claiming I will be able to eat...eventually but I'll be throwing up constantly.

I tell ya, you just can't tell some people ANYthing.
He said tonight that I'll see... and I'm saying HE will see.
I know I'm going to feel icky for a month or two but doggone it, it WILL get better!
OK, he saw my picture and he knows I am real. Now tell him I haven't puked yet. And I had surgery in 2003. The DS is not the RNY or the band!

Tell the misinformed busybody that he can have whatever part of my ribeye I don't eat (at dinner and two hours later...I eat serially.) But that he'd better bring his own peanut butter and jelly, because he's gonna be hungry.

ETA...also tell him that if you wanted to spend eternity barfing, you'd get the damned band. I puked more those three years than I did the previous 52 years combined.

And...seriously...I'd tell him that since he is not a DS patient or surgeon or medical researcher, he really doesn't have anything to add to my decision-making...and that all he is doing is upsetting me, soooooo this topic is now closed. We are done, finished, etc. and if it turns out he is right, he is welcome to limit his eulogy to three words..."Told you so."

Gawd...it's been 42 years since I was THAT smart...lol!!

LOL Perfect! :)
Loved the part about the band because I have one now and it's puke-a-rama at times. Like every time I get something truly delicious like one of those ribeye steaks. I hate that. But soon... no more of that nonsense.

He's agreed to keep his mouth shut and just wish me well. And I *will* be able to say "told ya so" :D

One can see why some insurance companies (and docs even) balk at doing the DS. Just tonight on one of the fb groups a girl is in the hospital because she's dehydrated and has low potassium levels due to her own admission of being lazy and not drinking enough.

Yes, plenty of people have real complications through no fault of their own...but others have complications that are totally preventable.

Ugh. Once I decided to do this for sure (in June), I started making sure to get at least a half gallon of water in me a day. I know it will be tougher to do early on post-op but at least I'm in the habit. Ditto for the vitamins - although I will have to adjust the timing and take quite a few more, I know I can handle the schedule and I've installed an app that helps me remember both vitamins and hydration. The food isn't an issue either - I've been on a high protein/low carb diet since June... well mostly. I had a "farewell to junk food" recently LOL (good riddance cheetos! LOL)

I am informed (mostly thanks to the good people here!) and I am willing and able to do what it takes to keep myself healthy through all of this... otherwise I never would have even considered the DS.

I barf occasionally - at night, from reflux, when I don't eat enough before I go to bed.

Reflux can be nasty. I had a problem with it years ago (pre-band even) but it went away and I've not had issues since. However, with all the changes coming up, I recognize that it could return. If it does, I will happily deal with it rather than die a slow death from all this weight.

Ugh. Once I decided to do this for sure (in June), I started making sure to get at least a half gallon of water in me a day. I know it will be tougher to do early on post-op but at least I'm in the habit. Ditto for the vitamins - although I will have to adjust the timing and take quite a few more, I know I can handle the schedule and I've installed an app that helps me remember both vitamins and hydration. The food isn't an issue either - I've been on a high protein/low carb diet since June... well mostly. I had a "farewell to junk food" recently LOL (good riddance cheetos! LOL)

I am informed (mostly thanks to the good people here!) and I am willing and able to do what it takes to keep myself healthy through all of this... otherwise I never would have even considered the DS.
@BebeZed Which app are you using? I've been looking for one to remind to help with vitamins and water. Thanks!

@BebeZed Which app are you using? I've been looking for one to remind to help with vitamins and water. Thanks!

I use one called Mango Health, available for both Android and iOS.

It sets reminders for medications and if you provide it all the info it requests, it will also tell you when you're about to run out. You can set the same med for multiple reminders per day, which I'm sure will be quite helpful. You can also set hydration goals and set times when you want to be reminded. It also has a weight tracker - you can have it remind you either daily or on a weekly basis. It also has the capability of tracking blood pressure and activity but the activity part is supported only on the iPhone. It also notifies you of drug interactions.

I got this app as a freebie so I'm not sure what it costs. I do know that it is available both in the iTunes and Google Play stores.

I use one called Mango Health, available for both Android and iOS.

It sets reminders for medications and if you provide it all the info it requests, it will also tell you when you're about to run out. You can set the same med for multiple reminders per day, which I'm sure will be quite helpful. You can also set hydration goals and set times when you want to be reminded. It also has a weight tracker - you can have it remind you either daily or on a weekly basis. It also has the capability of tracking blood pressure and activity but the activity part is supported only on the iPhone. It also notifies you of drug interactions.

I got this app as a freebie so I'm not sure what it costs. I do know that it is available both in the iTunes and Google Play stores.
Excellent. Thanks @BebeZed. I'll check it out. I have an iPhone and my son just got me an Apple watch so I have something to remind me (or annoy me - we'll see :)

@JuliaDS - when I was looking at the app info, I saw that it also works with the apple watch. That's very cool!
And yeah, sometimes it can get annoying... lol

One can see why some insurance companies (and docs even) balk at doing the DS. Just tonight on one of the fb groups a girl is in the hospital because she's dehydrated and has low potassium levels due to her own admission of being lazy and not drinking enough.

Yes, plenty of people have real complications through no fault of their own...but others have complications that are totally preventable.

I'm sorry, yet the part about docs balking about doing the DS... I guess it's fine if they never performed them. However, I'm pissed off at mine because he never did anything to treat his DS patients differently than his other WLS patients then had the balls to quit doing the DS by claiming he didn't like the outcome. Sure there were some non-compliant idiots. Yet if they never had the right information in the first place it's not fair to put all the blame on the victims. I didn't condemn him for my lack of knowledge since I was his first DS. I worked my ass off learning for myself. What bothers me is that he never did seem to respect the difference years into his doing the DS. Frankly, I'm relieved he's not doing them. AND I STILL SUPPORT THE IDEA OF A PRE-DS *INTELLLIGENCE TEST*!

I'm sorry, yet the part about docs balking about doing the DS... I guess it's fine if they never performed them. However, I'm pissed off at mine because he never did anything to treat his DS patients differently than his other WLS patients then had the balls to quit doing the DS by claiming he didn't like the outcome. Sure there were some non-compliant idiots. Yet if they never had the right information in the first place it's not fair to put all the blame on the victims. I didn't condemn him for my lack of knowledge since I was his first DS. I worked my ass off learning for myself. What bothers me is that he never did seem to respect the difference years into his doing the DS. Frankly, I'm relieved he's not doing them. AND I STILL SUPPORT THE IDEA OF A PRE-DS *INTELLLIGENCE TEST*!

Oh I totally agree. How much more evidence do these docs need to realize they're giving bad advice? How many patients have to have vitamin levels that tank so bad it does irreparable harm?
It's damned near criminal in my mind.

. AND I STILL SUPPORT THE IDEA OF A PRE-DS *INTELLLIGENCE TEST*!

For both the patient AND doctor :D

BTW, the post-op diet I got from the doctor's office was laughable. They obviously pasted the RNY diet in the blank for DS.
Thanks to you all, I know better.

Agree 10000000%. I hate FB, (FacePlant). Good concept, horrible implementation, way too invasive for my tastes.

I like it for friends and family, that's it. I don't want strangers seeing or commenting on what I post on Facebook!

I remember @southernlady said there's no good way to find information that was. Posted. It's a group to ask questions. They should Scroll on by if they don't feel likn seeing same questions. My 2 cents

Latest posts

Back