The Protein Counter Book (might help newbies) and a Food Question

conceit

Baroness
hi guys,
i was looking for high protein cookbooks. i happened to come across the book linked below. it seems like it could be useful to new post-ops and pre-ops trying to get an idea of how to meet the daily protein requirement, especially without adding protein shakes after a point. that's what i would personally work towards, as i, ideally, don't want to drink protein shakes for the rest of my life. i'd rather learn to get my protein through food sources.

i've said in other posts on PB that culturally my diet has comprised more of vegetable proteins, although i do eat meat. traditionally, it hasn't been a major part of my diet. i have worked to learn more about various cuts of meat, preparation techniques, paleo cooking, and also tried more meat dishes to get into practice. it is a bit intimidating for me to add more animal protein because i don't consider myself a very proficient meat cook in the western culinary style-- although i make mean curries, kebabs and biryanies;).

i am also more of a book reader than online number cruncher. while i plan to use myfitnesspal more post-op, it's far more convenient for me to read a book first. it's just how i learn.

so, here's a link to the book.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Protein-C...d_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=115VE94K9T2GYY3PNRQ1

a couple of bariatric post ops have commented and reviewed the book, so it looks like some of us in the community are familiar with it. if anyone here has used it or has any suggestions for similar books or cooks, or any critiques, please feel free to share.

finally a question:
i try not to cause unnecessary inconvenience. so, i have looked through some threads, but if those of you who base protein requirements only through food would even briefly comment on what your daily (summary style or more detailed, whatever you can share, would work) menu looks like, that would be wonderful.

i know we would be eating meat, fish etc., various cheeses, eggs, greek yogurt for our protein needs. i am curious about the quantities and types of dishes you guys usually eat, if you eat any protein bars regularly etc. as i said, my own diet has been more vegetable based, so some ideas would be nice.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure. Here's a day of protein for me.

Today:
Breakfast:
1/2 bar of swiss cheese about 4 oz.

Snack
Jar of almond butter. Just stuck my tsp. in till I had enough.

Lunch
Left over steak with catsup. (Probably 7-8 oz. cooked). Will need 2 sittings to eat this.

Snacks
Cashews. Usually a small bowl.
Some slices of swiss cheese.

Dinner
2 hamburgers with catsup (12 oz. raw.). Will need 2 sittings to eat this.

Snacks
3 pieces of Russell Stover sugar free candy.
3-4 slices cold cuts.
Maybe some more nuts.
1 banana.

And throughout the day; 2 small boxes of Tac Tacs & a container of Ice Breakers sugar free sours, too.

I'm an extremely boring and plain eater. I've always been this way. I presume you'll get a lot more interesting answers from others.

Last edited:
thanks a ton! that's exactly the kind of info i am looking for :)
do you shoot for 120 or 150 gms, generally?

When I had my DS (almost 10 years ago) it was suggested 80-120 gr./day by my surgical program. Still is. I do more. First of all, I eat a lot. Second of all, after what I've learned on the message boards; I think it's important to eat more protein than 80 gr. (my DS nutrit. told me as a woman I should do no less than 100 gr./day).

On a regular day, I don't really shoot for anything. I know in my head where I am because I know the value (in protein) of what I'm eating. I'd say it's always over 100+. Probably a lot more. However, for the first 6 mos. I wrote all my protein down so I knew for sure I was getting in enough. Nowadays, I have a protein calculator in the back of my head ;) that just knows. I've been doing this a long time. :D

My first breakfast is always Greek yogurt with a banana and a seed/nut mix that totals about 30 grams of protein.

Other things that I grab for quick fixes vary, but include things like:

--a can of Kirkland chicken breast tossed up with mayo and relish, which sits on my desk for nibbling = ~45 grams
--hunks of cheese, typically a good 4 oz. to a snack = 25-30 grams
--a bacon double cheeseburger from a drive-through = 25ish grams
--6-8 slices of bacon = 18-25 grams
--hardboiled eggs = 7 grams each
--deli meats, especially salami or a uniquely American concoction called Lebanon bologna

Tonight I'm having scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese, totaling about 30 grams of protein. Some other nights I'll throw a couple of fish filets in the toaster oven, totaling 6-8 oz. or 40-50 grams of protein. Or I'll grill a burger or bake some chicken or whatever hunk of flesh and have some veggies with it.

I don't think you need to change the foods you love. Just change them to be more meat centric.

I used to have a wonderful Indian friend who taught me so much about cooking and spices. I lost track of her over the years and moves but I will be forever grateful to her! Most Americans have a pantry full of food and a shelf of spices. The Indian kitchen is totally opposite. A pantry full of spices and a shelf of food! Spices I had never seen or heard of! She was a magician in the kitchen!

And the desserts! Wow! Cardamom ice cream and maybe you know what these are called so I can get some? Little wax paper packages with a betel nut, coconut and other 'stuff'. You are supposed to sort of leave them in your mouth and savor the flavor. They had some sort of dried leaves in them too.

She taught me how to make Indian tea too. So good and full of spices. We always called it Normine Tea in her honor!

@conceit @Elizabeth N. @aaa thanks so much for this thread. I have read so many posts here and on FB with recipes that I have been really concerned that I don't cook. Really don't. The surgery requires such a change in behavior that I was concerned I couldn't do it if I didn't cook. I can do hamburger. I can do deli meats and cheeses. I feel so much better. Thanks!

awesome stuff guys! :) thank you! keep em coming hehe :D i appreciate it.

@Munchkin

i love love love your enthusiasm for indian cooking. if you have any questions, feel free to ask :). i am quite familiar with and adept at indian cuisine, not so much from the coastal regions but certainly standard northern indian faire. however, i am always learning more. so, i am focusing on seafood and fish dishes these days which are most popular in western, eastern and south western India. :)

the desserts are absolutely delicious. i can't get enough of indian ice creams. the one you are describing which has cardamom, pistachio and often saffron as well is called "Kulfi". :) it's delicious!!! as for the betel leaf thing, that's a "Paan". traditionally, it contains tobacco but most people who have it at home, have the safe and healthy non tobacco version which contains a very tasty preserve made of rose petals, shredded coconut and some other light spices like aniseed :) *dies* it's so good.

@EN
rotisserie chicken is a great idea. it's often pretty affordable too :).

@Barbara

You're very welcome! There are tons of options, yes. Of course, cooking will expand those options and your palate will love it too.:D But, I know how intimidating it can be to learn a new type of cooking or to learn cooking from scratch. I get you.:) I am glad the thread was useful to you.

awesome stuff guys! :) thank you! keep em coming hehe :D i appreciate it.

@Munchkin

i love love love your enthusiasm for indian cooking. if you have any questions, feel free to ask :). i am quite familiar with and adept at indian cuisine, not so much from the coastal regions but certainly standard northern indian faire. however, i am always learning more. so, i am focusing on seafood and fish dishes these days which are most popular in western, eastern and south western India. :)

the desserts are absolutely delicious. i can't get enough of indian ice creams. the one you are describing which has cardamom, pistachio and often saffron as well is called "Kulfi". :) it's delicious!!! as for the betel leaf thing, that's a "Paan". traditionally, it contains tobacco but most people who have it at home, have the safe and healthy non tobacco version which contains a very tasty preserve made of rose petals, shredded coconut and some other light spices like aniseed :) *dies* it's so good.

@EN
rotisserie chicken is a great idea. it's often pretty affordable too :).

@Barbara

You're very welcome! There are tons of options, yes. Of course, cooking will expand those options and your palate will love it too.:D But, I know how intimidating it can be to learn a new type of cooking or to learn cooking from scratch. I get you.:) I am glad the thread was useful to you.
OOOOOH! Thank you! Now I can look for it without sounding like a nutbag! I have wanted to know the name for YEARS! Is it pronounced PAN?

is that tea made out of black tea? plus stuff? do tell!
I will defer to @conceit who may have a lot more info and recipes for this. I THINK variations on this general recipe are very common. This is a dessert type tea but I will drink it any time.

The easy way... Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea. But this is hard to find. Normine thought it was excellent for a tea bag but it lacks the depth of flavor the homemade stuff has.

Normine Tea

black tea One of the Indian teas is best but PG Tips works well and it's commonly available.
1/4 vanilla bean scraped
cinnamon
black peppercorns
carob
date sugar
ginger
cardamom
cloves
nutmeg

Canned condensed milk.

This is awesome without the sugar and even the milk so feel free to experiment. You can do this different ways. You can tie up all the spices like a bouquet garni or leave everything loose and filter the tea before pouring. You can grind the spices if you please but I usually bruise them in a mortar and pestle, less clean up. You want to make the tea pretty strong. Like English tea, not American.

Bring the water to a full boil. Turn off the heat and dump everything into the pot. Let it steep for 15 minutes or so then bring it almost back to boiling. Fill 1/3 of the cup with milk and add the hot tea. And this stuff smells amazing too! You can use your vanilla bean for more than one pot too.

@Munchkin it's pronounced as Paa-n rather than pan rhyming with can.

I will defer to @conceit who may have a lot more info and recipes for this. I THINK variations on this general recipe are very common. This is a dessert type tea but I will drink it any time.

The easy way... Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea. But this is hard to find. Normine thought it was excellent for a tea bag but it lacks the depth of flavor the homemade stuff has.

Normine Tea

black tea One of the Indian teas is best but PG Tips works well and it's commonly available.
1/4 vanilla bean scraped
cinnamon
black peppercorns
carob
date sugar
ginger
cardamom
cloves
nutmeg

Canned condensed milk.

This is awesome without the sugar and even the milk so feel free to experiment. You can do this different ways. You can tie up all the spices like a bouquet garni or leave everything loose and filter the tea before pouring. You can grind the spices if you please but I usually bruise them in a mortar and pestle, less clean up. You want to make the tea pretty strong. Like English tea, not American.

Bring the water to a full boil. Turn off the heat and dump everything into the pot. Let it steep for 15 minutes or so then bring it almost back to boiling. Fill 1/3 of the cup with milk and add the hot tea. And this stuff smells amazing too! You can use your vanilla bean for more than one pot too.

Oh, I'll have to try this recipe. Honestly, I've never had this type of tea or any kind of dessert tea. I just have regular strained black or green tea. Most people don't make such elaborate tea on a daily basis. Where I am from, tea is kept fairly simple. We do add spices like cardamom, cloves, at times even a little black pepper, ginger and nutmeg (almost always it's just cloves and cardamom). But, this sounds delicious. I almost want to turn it into a tea flavoured ice cream. I'd call it Normine's special ice cream. :D

since I am looking for the easy way I will keep my eyes open for Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea, thanks.

A typical day for me looks like:

Breakfast-
3 hard boiled eggs munched on throughout the morning or a 2 egg omelette with cheese & bacon which takes 1/2 hour (at least) to eat

Lunch-
Leftover grilled chicken, about 4 oz
Or rolled ham or turkey with cheese

Snack 1-
Cheese cubes or some sort of Italian cured meat, 2-4 oz

Snack 2-
Nuts, jerky or low carb granola, 2 oz

Sometimes a snack 3-
Bar or shake if needed

Dinner-
4 oz of meat and a little bit of whatever hubby has on the side, usually just the veggies or salad, but sometimes a little potato

Latest posts

Back