Veterans' Day...aka Armistice Day

Spiky Bugger

Long Version
My grandfather was drafted...I have the telegram...into World War I. He went to what was then Camp Kearney in San Diego County, CA. And eventually to France.

His family spoke Spanish, but his "formal education," (through maybe sixth or eighth grade) was English only. This makes reading his letters a real challenge, because he mostly applied English spelling rules to Spanish words. As in...because a Spanish "ll" is pronounced like the "y" in "you" or "yellow," he'd use a "y." So,what should have looked like "Pollo Loco," (a western US chain) looks like "Poyo Loco." Reading his Spanish requires staring at the word, then trying out a couple of pronunciations. He came from a family of butchers and also worked in silver mines in AZ before escaping to CA.

He was a very social animal and always good at finding "connections." I'm not quite sure how he did it, but he had a bit of a part-time job at a Spanish restaurant in France during the war. He brought in a lot of American business because he could translate for the other soldiers. That skill, plus meat cutting experience, meant that even during a war, he had a second job and he ate well. Lol

Anyway, every year, on "Armistice Day," he'd hang his army uniform on the patio, stare at it and drink too much. (He also drank too much on days that ended in "y," but this day had a uniform to go with it.)

Well, dammit, MY army uniform is packed where I can't easily get to it. And I'm on way too many opioids to get drunk.

But I do have several letters he wrote to his parents and a few other people. (I wonder if he just went around asking for the letters back after the war??) And a cannabis vape pen I could dust off.

Short Version
I think it's way cool that I have one hundred year old letters, written by my grandfather, from a war.

Last edited:
It is cool.
Happy Veterans Day to all our vets.

My grandfather, born in 1884, was in France when the guns went silent on 11/11/1918 at 11:AM.
At that time, my grandmother was 15. They married when she was 19 and he was 39.

I have a few letters in my possession from him to his parents while he was overseas. He also spent time in the Philippines at some point. He was a Captain in an Engineering Battalion.

2191C031-A45C-4786-AA41-636A3CFE3D13.jpeg

Wow!! Like the Elvis and Priscilla age difference!

(And my grandfather was born in 1896. You know...they left us something few of us today are leaving for our descendants...original "source documents"...these letters.)

Thank you to all Veterans.
My grandfather, Wyllys Hard Taylor, Sr. who was in the Ardennes Forest when the guns went silent because hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
My daddy, Wyllys Hard Taylor, Jr who was too young for WWII. Who graduated OCS and helped train inductees.
My uncles who served, in the Army, the Navy
My cousin who made the Navy a career as an engineer in the Seabees.

To all who served, who still serve, and to those who are the family of veterans.

They Did Their Share

On Veteran's Day we honor
Soldiers who protect our nation.
For their service as our warriors,
They deserve our admiration.

Some of them were drafted;
Some were volunteers;
For some it was just yesterday;
For some it's been many years;

In the jungle or the desert,
On land or on the sea,
They did whatever was assigned